IGNORED

Trust?

Sonor

All,

I have not been riding much for the last couple of years and just figured out why.  After many fuel strips, brake issues (repairs), fuel pump recall, and a computer replacement in my 05 RT I really have little trust that I am going to get home without the aid of tow truck.  The bike only has 55 K miles on it and now I am starting to get concerned that the final drive is the next thing or maybe even a complete rebuild of the weezy brakes. All of this said, I would like to hear from you.  Is it worth keeping the bike?  Should I change it out for peace of mind only?  What would you do?

1 minute ago, Sonor said:

All,

I have not been riding much for the last couple of years and just figured out why.  After many fuel strips, brake issues (repairs), fuel pump recall, and a computer replacement in my 05 RT I really have little trust that I am going to get home without the aid of tow truck.  The bike only has 55 K miles on it and now I am starting to get concerned that the final drive is the next thing or maybe even a complete rebuild of the weezy brakes. All of this said, I would like to hear from you.  Is it worth keeping the bike?  Should I change it out for peace of mind only?  What would you do?

Morning  Sonor   

Sometimes a trusted bike gets to the point of not trusting it any longer. These new electronic marvels are getting to be so expensive to keep running that it then becomes a decision between repair costs or new bike monthly payments.  

Difficult to tell what your next repair will be but a drive shaft failure is probably not out of the question plus your early (2005) RT does have the early version  smaller pinon bearing in the final drive.

Trust or boredom? The same old same old, just doesn't cut it sometimes. :dontknow: If the desire is still there to ride & travel, It may be time. :java:

• Like 2

Certainly not boredom - I really enjoy the open road and long distance.  I just can't say this bike is the one for long distance. Sad too as I put a RDL and Ohlins on it just for long distance.

13 minutes ago, Sonor said:

Certainly not boredom - I really enjoy the open road and long distance. 

Now I meant boredom with the same bike for fourteen years. Happens. Although, I'm still in love with my 94 Ducati 900SS. Weird, I know...:grin:

It does not matter what anyone else thinks - you are the one that lacks confidence in that particular bike.  Move on.

I've nearly the same mileage on my '06, but I've had no failures.   I would not hesitate to take it cross country right now. I plan to invest a few thousand dollars in new shocks this winter, and expect to replace the drive shaft before 70K miles as a precaution.  For me, it's a keeper. 

Different people, different bikes, different experiences.

• Like 1

With 95,000 on my 06, I decided it was time. It's been Rock. Solid. I did replace the drive shaft 3 or 4 years ago, the u-joint had some rough spots, caused by water getting into the swing arm. The old gal went 20,000 miles last year through every kind of riding imaginable. I would not hesitate to get on it and do it again.

That being said, I felt at the current mileage it was time to sell or keep it another 50-70,000 like Bernie did. I replaced it with a Camhead. Still have the 06 while the (very, very) long suffering suspension gets sorted.

On 7/26/2019 at 5:10 AM, Sonor said:

All,

I know what you mean about trust. After the throttle body pulleys broke on my RT, I kind of didn't want to ride it as much. A loss of faith if you will, trust. The worst part other than BMW doing their we've never heard of this before routine was sitting on the side of the road broke down and a HD passing by. He didn't stop. An old guy on a Burgman did. What's the message there...

The RT has 131000 on it, bought with 5800 on it in 2010.  I've had a transmission rebuild that didn't take at 70k so I replaced it with a slightly used one with 18k and the driveshaft with 50k.  I've replaced the front ESA due to leaking and that fuel thingy on the top of the pump.  Other than that, it's ridden almost daily through all the weather and yuck.   It's too far in the miles to sell it and I wouldn't get much on a trade in, so, I'll ride it until it dies.  Eventually, I may do a three for one trade but still undecided on when or if that will happen.

I guess I've been lucky in that my repairs have never left me stranded.  I've gone by the "gut" feeling of maintenance and to many, I don't do enough maintenance (never checked the valves nor balanced the throttle bodies), yet the engine itself, runs fine and smooth, still getting the mid-high forty's for mpg's.

• 2 months later...

Just bought a used '05 RT and going thru the maintenance and repair records from the previous owner that he had to have the rear gear housing replaced. Turns our the housing was machined oversize and the bearing started moving around. BMW covered it on warranty, ~$2400 US for the housing!!! So much for German precision. I would imagine that excess clearance in the main housing would manifest itself into other problems with the drive line.