IGNORED

2000 r1100rt starter problems

mich5187

Hi, I'm new here and I own a 2000 1100rt , have owned it for 3 years now. Here's my problem. I had some starting issues a few months back which I thought it was a battery related problem, so I bought a new one . It seemed to do fine for a few weeks and then I started experiencing a kind of a slow start with resetting my clock each time , finally after awhile it got worse and I would have to jump the bike off from a vehicle , but only could get it to start by connecting positive to  my starter solenoid , if I tried directly to battery it wouldn't fire up. So I decided to remove starter to see if it was needing attention. To make a long story short turns out the casing surrounding the gears that engages the engine was broken , a piece fell out maybe about 1/4 of it. What could have caused this , I dont recall any noise are grinding that I know of. I will be the first to admit I'm  no BMW  mechanic. Thank you and I hope you might shed some light to this.

7 hours ago, mich5187 said:

Hi, I'm new here and I own a 2000 1100rt , have owned it for 3 years now. Here's my problem. I had some starting issues a few months back which I thought it was a battery related problem, so I bought a new one . It seemed to do fine for a few weeks and then I started experiencing a kind of a slow start with resetting my clock each time , finally after awhile it got worse and I would have to jump the bike off from a vehicle , but only could get it to start by connecting positive to  my starter solenoid , if I tried directly to battery it wouldn't fire up. So I decided to remove starter to see if it was needing attention. To make a long story short turns out the casing surrounding the gears that engages the engine was broken , a piece fell out maybe about 1/4 of it. What could have caused this , I dont recall any noise are grinding that I know of. I will be the first to admit I'm  no BMW  mechanic. Thank you and I hope you might shed some light to this.

Morning mich5187

What you are experiencing is that the grease cover to the starter drive reduction (planetary gears) fell off & has shorted out to the inside of the starter  (you will probably find arc marks on that loose cover if you look closely). Not real common but it happens enough to take note of as there were a number of starters that had that happen to  (in other words you are not an isolated case)

The root cause of the issue is a poor part design in that area as the cover is/was poorly attached.

You can order parts to repair it but the cost is probably as much or more than a new aftermarket starter, especially if the  loose cover wore the ends of the field coils bare (usually happens).

Mich5187.   The aftermarket replacement starters are inexpensive.  Probably many of them are made in the same off-shore factory.  I got mine almost two years ago (20k miles) from DB Electrical.  It has been flawless. 

https://www.dbelectrical.com/

`Thank you guys for your quick response. I'll be purchasing a starter this week. I do have another question and that is I've been reading about cleaning the gears up and lubricating them  before installing replacement starter , could you elaborate a little on that , like what kind of cleaner and lubrication  should I use  and how much. Thank you again for your help , and I can't wait to get back to riding . 

The new starter doesn’t need any cleaning before installing. Lots of posts around about pulling the old starter, cleaning it up and then putting it back. I did that with mine several times and it helps, but the new starter is the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news guys ,new starter came Thursday went to town bought a torque wrench and had my auto parts store O'Reilly's pull the old alignment pin out for me due the new didn't have one . Got it installed and I ride again , thanks so much for the info you guys provided and for the opportunity to surf the forum for much more needed knowledge I needed.

32413701_2046217868724956_9014733056874905600_n.jpg

On 7/25/2019 at 10:40 AM, Michaelr11 said:

Mich5187.   The aftermarket replacement starters are inexpensive.  Probably many of them are made in the same off-shore factory.  I got mine almost two years ago (20k miles) from DB Electrical.  It has been flawless. 

https://www.dbelectrical.com/

+1 cheap starter's been good to me as well.

• 2 years later...

Been almoat three years now starter still doing its job. I have replaced mirror turn signals on it and the after market doesn't quite fit , thought i'd let you in on that , but saved a couple of hundred.Almost 200, 000 miles now . Thanks again guys.

20210526_235047.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mich5187 said:

Been almoat three years now starter still doing its job.

Didn't notice in the photo from 2019, is that Champagne Metallic?  Just like mine!

My replacement starter, from DB Electrical, is in my RT 4 1/2 years and over 66k miles.  Excellent product.