IGNORED

R9T question.

walton66

A friend has a new, month old, R9T that fell over on the left side at home let night.  He met a couple of members here last weekend but has not joined the forum yet.

"Bike fell on left side and now it won’t start.  Been all over on line with no luck.  Error code on the dash. Triangle lit up and the engine fault lit up. Not flashing. Means bad engine issue. Can’t reset and can’t start. Thought at first it was the side stand switch. So I bypassed it. No luck. Disconnected the battery and reconnected, no luck.  Fuel pump and gauges come on.  The end of the clutch lever broke off from the impact, is it possible that a switch associated with the clutch was damaged?"

Any ideas of items to check before he has it hauled back to the dealer a hundred miles away?  

Thanks

19 minutes ago, bwpsg42 said:

A friend has a new, month old, R9T that fell over on the left side at home let night.  He met a couple of members here last weekend but has not joined the forum yet.

"Bike fell on left side and now it won’t start.  Been all over on line with no luck.  Error code on the dash. Triangle lit up and the engine fault lit up. Not flashing. Means bad engine issue. Can’t reset and can’t start. Thought at first it was the side stand switch. So I bypassed it. No luck. Disconnected the battery and reconnected, no luck.  Fuel pump and gauges come on.  The end of the clutch lever broke off from the impact, is it possible that a switch associated with the clutch was damaged?"

Any ideas of items to check before he has it hauled back to the dealer a hundred miles away?  

Thanks

Afternoon bwpsg42

Does it crank with the starter & not fire?

Or won't it even crank?

38 minutes ago, bwpsg42 said:

D.R.

Thanks for asking.  He says it will not crank even in neutral.

thanks again,

Bill

Evening Bill

OK, that helps. Is the neutral light ON?

Anything showing on dash, like EWA?

If the neutral light is on then the clutch switch shouldn't matter. If no neutral light then a broken clutch switch would matter.

With dash lit up then kill switch should be (on) but still worth a check.

Did any wiring get pulled loose during motorcycle pick up.  

herI'm told the bike was stopped and turned off prior to being dropped.  Neutral light is on, all dash functions work, no apparent wires yanked.   The EWA is lit.  I asked him to send me a photo ...

58569909701__33C02590-BEF4-461B-A41E-D8153907416B.thumb.jpeg.d79f00bc1719f94421298e83f095395c.jpeg

7 minutes ago, bwpsg42 said:

herI'm told the bike was stopped and turned off prior to being dropped.  Neutral light is on, all dash functions work, no apparent wires yanked.   The EWA is lit.  I asked him to send me a photo …

Evening Bill

That should have said EWS not EWA (I hit the wrong darn key on my keyboard).

If it has EWS showing then it definitely won't start as that is the immobilizer (usually ignition switch antenna ring doesn't recognize the key pellet or something has locked the computer system).

Does the bike have factory anti theft on it? 

My friend says  bike is headed for the shop tomorrow. He really likes the bike but irs a shame that a garage tip over would immobilize it. Probably something simple. Will post results when I can for everyone’s benefit. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

To make a long story short, a plug was pulled out of a receptacle in the switch gear somewhere.  The dealer fixed it, sort of, and it functioned part of the way home.  My friend, using a haynes manual, found the issue and corrected it properly.  No additional issues, except when he went back for a scheduled service, he purchased a new R1250GSA and picked it up yesterday.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, bwpsg42 said:

except when he went back for a scheduled service, he purchased a new R1250GSA and picked it up yesterday.

That's one surefire way to solve a mechanical issue.