IGNORED

Electric Transportation

ESokoloff

As an EV owner (2016 Zero DSR), I'm very in-tune to the evolution of transportation from ICE (Internial Combustion Engine), to Electric & thought I would start this thread to share new developments. 

Ford just released this video of their all electric F-150 prototype.

Unfortunately all hype & no talk of price or ETA to market but at least it shows Ford's taking an interests in EV.

• Like 1

I can see that for job trucks, but it still falls short of what I'd need as an individual owner.  Someday, someone somewhere will make what I need:  a truck with a hybrid system like the Chevy Volt, where I can use gas to tow and for long road trips, and electricity for commuting and running errands.  Until then, I'm stuck with gasoline technology.

• Like 1

I hear VW is making a big push for electrics.  https://www.vw.com/electric-concepts

It won't be long.  We'll be buying electric cars, and long road trips will be via public transportation with an electric rental at the other end. 

I always thought that electric vehicles would benefit from the cordless drill swappable battery concept.  They could all use a standard battery pack that would clip in, maybe replacing the bumper areas on either end.  Just pull in to a service station, back up to a robotic arm that would grab, unclip your battery, and then slide in a fresh pack.  You wouldn't own the battery, but you'd be buying the charge in it.  Maybe the car would also have a smallish built-in reserve battery that would also charge off the pack.  Every car would use the same pack, and batteries would be available at service stations, just like gas, thus enabling you to drive long distances without concern for your charge.  And of course, you could charge up the whole works at home, or any plug-in site.

I think with this kind of program, people would jump at the chance to install solar panels on their roofs.  Payback on the investment would drastically be reduced, since it would power your car too.

At any rate, society benefits from the diversity.  There are plenty of opportunities for individuals, companies and governments to make the switch (without a lot of compromise) and take some of the demand off gasoline.  But I'm guilty of burning gas unnecessarily too.  I haven't felt too hot the last week or so, so I've been driving the 2.7 miles to work, instead of using the bicycle.

Bill_Walker
13 hours ago, elkroeger said:

I always thought that electric vehicles would benefit from the cordless drill swappable battery concept. 

This has actually been tried, by a company called Better Place based mostly in Israel, in partnership with Renault, who made the cars.  I think they were rather ahead of their time in trying to standardize a battery form factor and connection in a rapidly developing industry.  The concept could come back.  One issue is that battery capacity degrades over time, so the swap station might install a battery with a shorter available range than the one you just swapped out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_Place_(company)

16 hours ago, elkroeger said:

I hear VW is making a big push for electrics.  

My wife wants one of these ...  and yes she knows its not in production . .... yet.  

I think what has held  back a lot of electric car acceptance is that most of them are ugly !  Der Bus Rules !!

Volkswagen-ID-BUZZ-concept_o.thumb.jpg.dadb3d3e0af4e43a494d20e4930927b3.jpg

• Like 2