IGNORED

Fixing an Autocom, GPS + earbud speaker problem

John Bentall

John Bentall

The set-up is a Autocom Pro-M1, on-board music on R1200RT, Garmin SPIII + Cellphone , in-ear speakers using Autocom part 27 (or 26 - now 1187). The problem was that even at the lowest volume setting, my ears were blasted by the GPS instructions. Fernando suggested a personal stereo volume control fitted in the circuit and this was duly placed between the GPS and the Autocom input.

Ears not blasted any longer, but nor did the GPS instructions now cut the music. A quick call to the help line at the factory.

Solution - the attenuator was too effective and there was no longer enough "juice" to trigger the muting circuit in the Autocom. Moved the volume control between the part 27 and the earbuds - problem solved.

The set-up is a Autocom Pro-M1, on-board music on R1200RT, Garmin SPIII + Cellphone , in-ear speakers using Autocom part 27 (or 26 - now 1187). The problem was that even at the lowest volume setting, my ears were blasted by the GPS instructions. Fernando suggested a personal stereo volume control fitted in the circuit and this was duly placed between the GPS and the Autocom input.

Ears not blasted any longer, but nor did the GPS instructions now cut the music. A quick call to the help line at the factory.

Solution - the attenuator was too effective and there was no longer enough "juice" to trigger the muting circuit in the Autocom. Moved the volume control between the part 27 and the earbuds - problem solved.

Excellent point. I use an external volume control along with earbuds. I need the volume control because it is infinitely variable and my XM radio only has hard-set "line output" settings, of which the two most comfortable are slightly too soft and slightly too loud. Besides, it's a PITA to access the setting control through the menu button while riding.

Placing the volume control on the radio output side has no effect on anything else because the music circuit has the lowest priority and it does absolutley no muting (instead, it is MUTED by other inputs). So attenuation plays no role in triggering any other circuits. But the Aux port where you have your GPS connected, does.

Good catch on Autocom's part. As you ride, speed and ambient noise change. If you need a single control to vary your overall volume on Aux inputs (radar, GPS, etc.) do it just before the earbuds. Of course, with the new Autocom Super Pro, the ambient noise sensor takes care of this by automatically adjusting your overall volume (as well as your VOX trigger volume) relative to your surroundings. Nice feature.

Archived