IGNORED

Defective fuel tank strip?

Longtom

Hi Guys, I have a 2005 st1200, it has been sitting in the garage for about six weeks as I broke my ankle , went today to start it up (it has been on a trickle charge) and yellow fuel warning light is on-there is half a tank in it and the mileage left for the tank still reads ok (over 100 miles), The gauge reads empty,  I've been having a look around the net in case it was perhaps a rusted connector or fuse, not I am beginning to think it is this fuel strip thing-new one to me! I would be very grateful for any ideas  or opinions, 

Thank you very Much 

Oh the fuel strip thing stinks, especially for a 2005 as it is now past the recall date.  The good thing is, once you pay to have it replaced if it dies within two years, it is a free replacement.  BMW does warranty their parts for 2 years.

There are a couple of work arounds that might help you.  You can find them on Youtube and one involves a "rewire" of a lighter.

Good luck ...

3 hours ago, Longtom said:

Hi Guys, I have a 2005 st1200, it has been sitting in the garage for about six weeks as I broke my ankle , went today to start it up (it has been on a trickle charge) and yellow fuel warning light is on-there is half a tank in it and the mileage left for the tank still reads ok (over 100 miles), The gauge reads empty,  I've been having a look around the net in case it was perhaps a rusted connector or fuse, not I am beginning to think it is this fuel strip thing-new one to me! I would be very grateful for any ideas  or opinions, 

Thank you very Much 

Afternoon Longtom

If you are sure there is gasoline in the tank then try riding it about 10 miles. Sometimes it takes a short time & a  few miles to start reading correctly.

If it still won't work ( & you have absolutely) verified there is fuel in the tank (trip meter showing miles to empty can lie until the trip data catches up to the fuel strip height) then you probably have a failed fuel strip.

Hi Again, I just thought I would add this in case it is of any help to someone.  Bike had been stored on side stand (kickstand?) now I am recovered enough from an injury to begin to walk about I went and moved it onto the main stand, filled with petrol from cans and sloshed the tank about whilst moving the bike back and forth  as far as I could (a few yards). Disconnected battery, and cleaned and greased terminals, after half an hour (I read this trick in the Forum somewhere) reconnected. Gauge still did not work. Next day I switched on and ran the engine for 5 minutes, gauge still not working. Started it again the next day and left it idling (gauge not working) went  back after a few minutes and the gauge WAS WORKING and seems accurate. I am still not fit enough to ride on the road but I checked it yesterday and today and it is still working-I have no idea why.Hope it helps-I have theories but not enough space to bore you all...

1 hour ago, Longtom said:

Hi Again, I just thought I would add this in case it is of any help to someone.  Bike had been stored on side stand (kickstand?) now I am recovered enough from an injury to begin to walk about I went and moved it onto the main stand, filled with petrol from cans and sloshed the tank about whilst moving the bike back and forth  as far as I could (a few yards). Disconnected battery, and cleaned and greased terminals, after half an hour (I read this trick in the Forum somewhere) reconnected. Gauge still did not work. Next day I switched on and ran the engine for 5 minutes, gauge still not working. Started it again the next day and left it idling (gauge not working) went  back after a few minutes and the gauge WAS WORKING and seems accurate. I am still not fit enough to ride on the road but I checked it yesterday and today and it is still working-I have no idea why. Hope it helps-I have theories but not enough space to bore you all...

Morning  Longtom

What you did  in a long winded way is simulate riding the bike for a ways. Some of the 1200 (fuel strip) bikes seem to need that to regain reading correctly. Even after a tank fill-up at a gas station they usually won't start registering correctly until after ride-off & going a short distance.