IGNORED

Help me tame my new Zumo 595.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

Way back in 2004, I bought a Garmin GPSMAP 276C.  It's been my enduring companion on every single ride since then, but events have conspired to render it obsolete.  Last month I finally surrendered and bought a Garmin Zumo 595.  I took the first ride with it today, and as a test, I downloaded a route and tried to let the GPS walk me through it.  Two issues came up:

#1: I have a Sena 20S Evo on my helmet.  From a ride last fall, I know that I need to keep the Sena's volume maxed out to hear my riding partner through my earplugs.  However, this means that the 595's verbal instructions are so loud that they are muddy, unintelligible.  When I flip through the sound settings on the 595, it says to use my external audio device to adjust the volume.  Can someone here confirm that there's really no way to adjust the 595's output volume, independent of the Sena?  

#2: There were...problems executing the test route.  On the 595's home screen, I touched "Where To?", and then "Trip Planner", and then I clicked on the route I had created in BaseCamp and downloaded to the 595.  A list of waypoints pops up, along with two buttons, "Map" (which shows an overview of the whole route on a map), and "Go!"".  If I click "Go!", I get a new screen that says "Select Next Destination," and allows me to scroll through the waypoints on my route and select one of them.  If I select one of those waypoints, it tries to navigate me directly to that waypoint, regardless of whether it's on my planned route or not.  This is not what I want?  I want to click on a route that I've crafted in BaseCamp, and have my 595 send me merrily on my way, on that exact route, all the way to the end of said route.  How do I do that????

As an aside, I'm glad that this thing is fully compatible with my PC, my phone and my Sena, but there are some glaring shortcomings.  Most notable is the screen.  Compared to the 276C, it's dim, and low-resolution.  Why would they do this, for a GPS that they know with absolute certainty will be used in direct sunlight most of the time?  My phone has something like 10X the resolution of this thing.  The 595 was already $600+, would it really cost that much more to add a few more pixels?  Have bucks, will travel.  The other thing is the size of the text while riding, most notably the speed display.  On my 276C, the numbers on the speed readout were twice as tall (and much higher contrast).  I found myself really hunting around on the 595 to find and read my current speed.  Gotta learn to look at the bike's analog speedo, I guess.  

Anyway, hope someone can toss me a clue on route/volume management.   Thanks...

#1 Try lowering the navigation instruction volume while the instructions are being givenMy SMH10 uses different volume levels depending on the source. It can be a little tricky to get the timing right as the instructions are often very brief.

#2 The 595 will calculate a new route from your present location to the waypoint you selected, and then follow the planned route from that point.  So when you plan your route in Basecamp, do not start it at your present location, but somewhere down the road. I often make a start points at either end of our street, or at a point leaving town.  The best manual for using Basecamp with the 59x GPS is at https://issuu.com/jfheath/docs/zumo_590_and_basecamp_2017. The author does a great job of explaining how the software and hardware actually interact so you can build routes that take you where you want to go, on the roads that you prefer.  It has the information that Garmin should be including with the GPS.

Press on the speed display and you can get a large speed display (and other data), but you will not see the map.

Bill_Walker

AFAIK, the 20S sets volume for different inputs independently.  Adjust the volume of the one that's currently making noise, and only that one is adjusted.

As to "select next destination", why would you select a waypoint other than the one that's the starting point of your planned route, or perhaps the next point if you're already at the starting point?  I haven't used a 595, but I have used a 660 and a Nav VI (and a Nav II before the 660, which was completely different).

As to staying on your planned route, other folks report success with using "shaping points" (basically silent waypoints), but I don't trust them.  I make sure to put in enough waypoints that I'll be on my desired route even if the GPS recalculates it after a detour.

Garmin keeps updating its user interface in an attempt to make it more user-friendly, but I think it just makes it more experienced-user-hostile.  For example, waypoints became "Favorites", now routes and waypoints have to be imported after being downloaded, and instead of being able to select a downloaded route from the "Where to" button, I have to go to the "Trip Planner" app.

Very good advice about by IKraus, pointing you to the article about Basecamp/Zumo.  It's very well written, and incredibly helpful..

As for navigating a route, what you might want to do is put the start point of your route a short distance from your house/motel etc., and select that point when prompted.  Alternatively, if your start point is indeed your house, add another waypoint a short distance away, and select that when prompted.  As already pointed out, if when prompted you select a waypoint well down your route, the GPS will navigate you there -- ignoring all prior via points/waypoints/shaping points -- based on the navigation preferences, and avoidances, that you have set in your GPS settings, e.g, faster time, avoiding unpaved roads, or interstates etc.  I've taken the advice in the article and always set my GPS navigation preferences to Faster Time, and I simply use a sufficient number of via points to ensure it follows the roads I want.  I use a limited number of "waypoints", and convert the rest to shaping points (they're silent, i.e., not announced, and they appear as small dots on the map, not a sea of giant orange flags).  There's another advantage:  if you fail to reach a "waypoint" (you might have placed it just off a road, in a field, for example), the GPS will keep trying to route you back there, no matter how far past it you travel.  With a shaping point, the GPS will only nag you until you've reached the next shaping point, at which time it will forget all about the one you missed.

Joe Frickin' Friday
2 hours ago, Bill_Walker said:

AFAIK, the 20S sets volume for different inputs independently.  Adjust the volume of the one that's currently making noise, and only that one is adjusted.

OK, so no adjustment possible on the 595 itself, I just need to make the adjustment on the Sena for the audio that's coming in from the 595.  Will read up on that, thanks.

As for the routing, I guess I will also need to read up on shaping points, waypoints, and BaseCamp.  I'm puzzled about having to select a point on the route when starting/resuming a route.  On the 276C, I never did anything like that; I just selected the route from the list, pushed start, and it would begin feeding me directions/mileage as soon as I got onto the actual route.  The problem with having to choose a waypoint to navigate toward on the 595 is when I have huge, complicated routes, like this 335-mile beast from Wisconsin:

2013-09-dances-with-cows-ra-edition-033.

This route had dozens of waypoints.  Or shaping points.  Or something.  If (for example) I stop riding the route to navigate to lunch a few miles off to the side, and then want to resume riding the route, I'm not likely to know which is the next way/shaping point along on my route that I should try to head toward.  

Yes, it really helps to study how the GPS "thinks".  I think Garmin has done their customers (and themselves) a real disservice by failing to explain how they expected their products to work.  So everyone approaches route planning based on different preconceptions and expectations, and then get frustrated (or lost) when Basecamp and the hardware come up with different results. 

The guide I linked earlier deals with situations like your lunch example (or maybe it was in the YouTube playlist mentioned in the guide?)  It does help if you know where you might want to go off the main route and to give your waypoints descriptive names.   If I know a good diner in Amesville, I'll specify a waypoint on the road leaving town and call it "Depart Amesville." I can wander anywhere in town*, and when I'm ready to leave, just select that waypoint and I will be guided there to resume the main route.  If I'm not hungry when I pass through,  I stay on the main route and it's just another waypoint.  

Waypoints are your start and end points and the intermediate points that you want to have announced. They are the points shown as possible starting (and resumption) points when you select a route.  The 595 allows a maximum of 30 per route. Use more and it will split the route.

Shaping points are not announced("won't alert" in Basecamp terms), and are not offered as starting points. You can have up to 125 between each pair of waypoints.  

* You can also use Where To to add an unplanned stop to an active route.  So I can pause outside town, use Where To to find a restaurant (or gas station, or...), and directions from my current location to the restaurant will be provided, and the 595 will also recalculate the route from the restaurant to the next waypoint on the original route. Shaping points in between the point where the new stop is added and the next waypoint will be ignored.  Keep in mind that shaping points can be changed to waypoints and vice versa by editing the route on the 595 if you want to preserve a shaping point.

Good morning Mitch and congrats on a great GPS unit.

The 590/595/Nav5/Nav6 does have a volume control.

It is on the main screen or under the App button. It has the Master Volume, there is also a little Wrench button. It has a sub menu, where you can select the Audio Mixer. There you select the volume for 3 different outputs.

As for navigating routes created in BaseCamp,  #jfheath has written a very good manual on how to get a 590/595 to use a route they way you planned it in BaseCamp.

Think of ShapingPoints(silent) as WayPoints on older systems. As for interrupting a route and restarting it again or joining it down the road a bit, you have the option in the Edit menu to convert any Shaping Point (silent and displayed as a pearl) into a WayPoint (Orange Flag). You can then navigate or Start your route at that Point. You do this before starting the route. 

To do this select your route in Trip Planner, you can then scroll down to find a shaping point where you would like to start the route. You can use the Map button to get a visual clue on where the point maybe, if the name doesn’t give you a clue. Then hit the 3 bars in top right corner and select Edit Destinations. A full Lisetten with all WayPoints and Shaping Points displays. You can now scroll down to the point you would like to rejoin the route at or where you would like to start the route. (Of course it also let‘s you delete or add points and also will let you rearrange points. The Start Point will have a Green Flag, the Shaping Points(Silent) will have a Blue Dot. If you touch the Blue Dot, it turns into a Orange Flag and is added to the list of Starting Points you can select from.

Select save and the route will recalculate, then back out of the menu to the previous screen. If you are not sure if you selected the proper point, you can select map and see the yellow flag on the map. If it is the spot you want to rejoin the route, select GO!. It will now let you select that point as you start of the route. It will calculate a new route from your current location to that point and then resume the route that you have planned in BaseCamp from that spot on.

This is the reason that your planned BaseCamp routes must contain lots of Shaping Points. Garmin has decided that we are all tired of hearing the announcement of every Shaping Point and instead has allowed use to silence them and actually listen to driving instructions. This resulted in a maximum of 25 or 28 WayPoints per route, but allowed use to have like 125+ Shaping Points between each WayPoint.

I hope this helps.

Please also check the NewEnglandRiders website for updated manuals on the use of BaseCamp on PC‘s and Mac‘s. It also has instructions on how to setup your GPS.

Happy routing!

Edited by Bernie
Forgot stuff

Mitch, I forgot some stuff.

Any WayPoint can be converted into a Shaping Point and vice versus on the GPS, except the Start and End Points.

Also if you edit a route and then decide it isn’t right, you can just reimport the original route from the Micro SD-Card or the internal memory and you are back to the original transferred route.

To convert a WayPoint/ViaPoint in BaseCamp to a silent Shaping Point, pull up the Route Properties list and high light all the points you want silent and right click and the drop done menu should let you select Silence these points. I think it’s Control-K on the key board.

Joe Frickin' Friday
10 hours ago, lkraus said:

The guide I linked earlier deals with situations like your lunch example (or maybe it was in the YouTube playlist mentioned in the guide?)  It does help if you know where you might want to go off the main route and to give your waypoints descriptive names.   If I know a good diner in Amesville, I'll specify a waypoint on the road leaving town and call it "Depart Amesville." I can wander anywhere in town*, and when I'm ready to leave, just select that waypoint and I will be guided there to resume the main route.  If I'm not hungry when I pass through,  I stay on the main route and it's just another waypoint.

Hm.  This seems like a step down from my 276C, in that it requires additional foresight/forethought during the route planning phase.  ~30 waypoints max per route for a 335-mile route = an average of 11 miles between waypoints, which I guess I can work with, if I place them in/near towns where I think I might make off-route detours.

20 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Hm.  This seems like a step down from my 276C, in that it requires additional foresight/forethought during the route planning phase.  ~30 waypoints max per route for a 335-mile route = an average of 11 miles between waypoints, which I guess I can work with, if I place them in/near towns where I think I might make off-route detours.

Morning Mitch

30 'waypoints' is a LOT of waypoints on any route. I seldom place more than  5 waypoints on any one leg of a GPS route.

About the only place I actually use a waypoint is beginning, end, & if I want/need a certain point along the route announced, or need to know mileage/arrival time to that point.   For the other shaping points I just use via points/shaping points  that are unannounced & don't count as waypoints.

I hate excessive map clutter while riding as well a hate all those waypoints showing up later in my favorites list.

If I build a solid route then I haven't ever needed  many actual 'waypoints'.

Joe Frickin' Friday
17 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Mitch

30 'waypoints' is a LOT of waypoints on any route. I seldom place more than  5 waypoints on any one leg of a GPS route.

About the only place I actually use a waypoint is beginning, end, & if I want/need a certain point along the route announced, or need to know mileage/arrival time to that point.   For the other shaping points I just use via points/shaping points  that are unannounced & don't count as waypoints.

I hate excessive map clutter while riding as well a hate all those waypoints showing up later in my favorites list.

If I build a solid route then I haven't ever needed  many actual 'waypoints'.

Sorry, I should be more careful with my terms.  I didn't mean waypoints, I meant via points.  

45 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Sorry, I should be more careful with my terms.  I didn't mean waypoints, I meant via points.  

Morning Mitch

OK, that makes more sense.

I will have to default to the newer road type GPS owners, as, since my old Zumo days I  absolutely hate the newer Garmin road type GPS units as they make it difficult to get & maintain some of my more intricate trackback/track-over  routes without a LOT of extra work.

If it was just me myself & I then it wouldn't be a big deal but I lead a lot of rides over very complicated, technical, &  intricate routes so I prefer the Garmin Montana 600/610 as those do not EVER change a route once it is uploaded to the GPS & verified (never!). What I put in I always get as long as it transfers  in using the same map that it was made on & I turn off all avoidance's. With the route not getting changed then I don't need a lot of shaping points, if it stays solid in BaseCamp that is what the GPS  uses & shows without fault.    

In fact I have a custom BaseCamp activity profile of NONE (looks like a bowling pin) & that activity profile has no avoidances or other superficial interferences  (basically route goes to GPS just as made it with no changes due to some missed avoidance setting). Couple that to the 600/610 no re-calculation going in (importing)  to GPS & no avoidances set on the GPS then I get back exactly what I originally build in BaseCamp . The slight downside to this is if I don't build a perfect route then the GPS won't correct it for me with a recalculation.   But on the other hand if I build a perfect route then the  GPS won't slyly change it on me during a ride either so I don't need a stack-of-dimes row of shaping points to force it to go where I want.

I lead and make very complicated routes and I have no problems transferring them and using them as I designed them in BaseCamp on either a Zumo 590 or aBMW Nav 6.

I guess what I posted this morning is not visible to other board members. 

The fact is you can have 125+ Shaping Points between each WayPoint. And you can have 28 or 30 WayPoints. That gives 2,750 points to keep your route on the roads you want to ride on, regardless of distance between points. 

9 minutes ago, Bernie said:

I lead and make very complicated routes and I have no problems transferring them and using them as I designed them in BaseCamp on either a Zumo 590 or aBMW Nav 6.

I guess what I posted this morning is not visible to other board members. 

The fact is you can have 125+ Shaping Points between each WayPoint. And you can have 28 or 30 WayPoints. That gives 2,750 points to keep your route on the roads you want to ride on, regardless of distance between points. 

Morning Bernie

2,750 points needed to keep a route on the roads is telling me that something is drastically wrong with that route or in how the GPS reads  that route.

The tutorial Bernie linked to is invaluable to learning how the 595 thinks. As you've noted, it's very different from previous generations. 

I will say that on my trip out West last year, when I used just shaping points for complicated 400-500 miles days, the GPS would sometimes forget where we were or even just stop navigating the route after a certain point. That was, of course, a problem. Stopping for lunch would often create issues for it as well. So now I am sure to include some via points, so I have points throughout the route that can be used to 'kick start' the route if needed. This is something I'd never had to do before with my 660. The tutorial Bernie linked to (and the Bumbling Backroad Riders™) helped me through he transition process and mostly saved my skin on my trip last year.

As Bernie mentioned, there is a volume adjustment for the output of the 595.

Bill_Walker

Another tip: if I know in advance where I'm going to stop for the night, I'll make a separate route for each day of a trip.  My 660, at least, would occasionally lose its mind and stop navigating on very long routes.

• Like 1
Bill_Walker

On the NAV VI, at least, there's no volume control available on the GPS if you have a Bluetooth headset paired with the GPS.

Joe Frickin' Friday
On 7/21/2019 at 6:57 PM, lkraus said:

The best manual for using Basecamp with the 59x GPS is at https://issuu.com/jfheath/docs/zumo_590_and_basecamp_2017. The author does a great job of explaining how the software and hardware actually interact so you can build routes that take you where you want to go, on the roads that you prefer.  It has the information that Garmin should be including with the GPS.

OK, I've gone through that manual, and I think I understand now the functionality of waypoints, via points, and shaping points.  Thanks.

One thing I can't see is how to make certain points on my route via points (so I get alerts, and can name them and have the option to navigate to them when resuming a route), and how to make them shaping points (so they don't alert).  When crafting a route in BaseCamp, it seems to arbitrarily choose which points become via points and which points become shaping points.  

1 hour ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

OK, I've gone through that manual, and I think I understand now the functionality of waypoints, via points, and shaping points.  Thanks.

One thing I can't see is how to make certain points on my route via points (so I get alerts, and can name them and have the option to navigate to them when resuming a route), and how to make them shaping points (so they don't alert).  When crafting a route in BaseCamp, it seems to arbitrarily choose which points become via points and which points become shaping points.  

New England Riders/ Ed Conde made a great manual with pictures for either Windows Or Mac users on how to use BaseCamp.

It is available for free from his website: 

http://www.newenglandriders.org/

I would attach a copy of it, but I don't think I have permission. Check out page #55-58 for a explanation on how to convert a silent point to a announced point and how to reverse it.

Basically, using a mouse in Windows Basecamp, if you place a point along a road, it will be a waypoint and will alert. If you place a point in an intersection, it will be a shaping point and won't alert. There may be other ways, but this is what I use.  I think the Mac version is similar.

Open a route (double click it in the bottom left panel or right-click on the colored line) and in the Properties tab you will see the sequential list of waypoints and shaping points. Select a point, and right click to get the option to change to the other type. That right-click menu will also let you change the name of a point and perform other operations.

You can also edit the type of point on the 595.  In the Trip Planner app, select the route to see the list of points. Points with a flag will alert (and be offered as options for starting or re-starting  the route), while the dots will not alert.  Tapping the flag or dot will toggle between way and shaping (and recalculate the route).  This can be useful if you've gotten off-route and want more options to aim for to get back on route. Change a shaping point to a waypoint, use that as the new start point and the 595 will find it's way back to the route and continue on. I usually tend to turn off most of the alerts to keep the ride quiet, but sometimes have regretted that choice when I had only a few points to choose from..

32254.png

• Like 1

Mitch - Another thing that is different and worth noting now - on your GPS Unit - there is no option to 'reverse the route.

Fro instance, you've created a route from A to B. Once at B, you plan to ride the same route back to A. You do not have the previous simple option on the unit to have the unit reverse the route and navigate from B to A. So if you think that might be an option, the easiest thing to do is to reverse the route in BaseCamp.

Out in the field, you do have the option of going into your tracks app, select 'active' and select the track you want. Then, selecting the 'wrench' icon, you have the option to make the track a trip. My understanding (I can't remember!) is that this method does not give you step by step directions, however. I will test this in the morning if no one chimes in with additional information. Another thing you can do with the track app is to select and save a track. Once it's saved, you can select 'display on map'. This unit does not have a global option (to show tracks) ON or OFF like previous units.

• Like 1

Dave is correct, tracks do not provided turn-by-turn directions, so you have to watch the screen closely. But they are still useful to verify that you are following your intended route, because the 595 can show the track AND the route.  After creating the route in Basecamp, right click and "Create Track from selected Route", and export both to the 595. ( I do this in Basecamp so that I create the track before the 595 has any chance to recalculate the route.)  Use the Tracks app to import the track, click the wrench icon to activate Show On Map and set the color to black. Use the Trip Planner to load the route, and the colored line for the route will have the black track line running down the center.  If the two lines diverge you will know that the 595 has calculated the route differently from the original plan.  Routes can change, tracks never do.

• Like 1

Mitch, one thing you may want to change is to have the GPS prompt you if you want to have the route recalculated.

I think by default it will recalculate the route automatically if you get off route. This can be changed in the settings menus.

8 hours ago, lkraus said:

Dave is correct, tracks do not provided turn-by-turn directions, so you have to watch the screen closely. But they are still useful to verify that you are following your intended route, because the 595 can show the track AND the route.  After creating the route in Basecamp, right click and "Create Track from selected Route", and export both to the 595. ( I do this in Basecamp so that I create the track before the 595 has any chance to recalculate the route.)  Use the Tracks app to import the track, click the wrench icon to activate Show On Map and set the color to black. Use the Trip Planner to load the route, and the colored line for the route will have the black track line running down the center.  If the two lines diverge you will know that the 595 has calculated the route differently from the original plan.  Routes can change, tracks never do.

Morning Larry

Have they dehorned the 595 that much that you can't even do a simple track-back?

I thought on most newer Garmin devices like the 595 you can track-back?

Can’t a rider just select  'Track-Back',  then select 'save as a trip', then 'rename',  then ride that route back to original starting destination?

On the ones that I have used Track-Back on (not a 595 though)   I don't even re-name the route, I simply add the numeral (2) after the name to designate a Track-Back  (reversed) route.

Mornin' DR,

I was concentrating on the "no turn instructions with tracks" part of Dave's post, and really did not think about the Track-Back part. I've never needed that feature.

So let's see... 

Obviously, the GPS has to have been set to record your path. That''s a check box under Settings>Device>Travel History.  That saves your ride as a track which you can find in the Tracks app under the "Active" tab, named by date, time, and distance.

Select the track and it is displayed on screen. Tap the wrench icon to save it as a track or trip(route).

Saved as a track,  you are prompted for a name, and thereafter you can load it as any other track from the "Saved" tab in the Track app and display it on the map via the wrench icon check box. Presumably, you are at one end of the displayed line already and would just turn around and follow it? 

Saved as a route, you are given a direction choice (Start to Finish or Finish to Start) and given a chance to change the name.  Load the route from the Trip Planner app and go.

So it looks like the 595 has the function, but using it may require a few more steps than other models? I've no experience with other Garmins for comparison.  I believe the 590 and the Nav V & VI work the same way as the 595 in most respects.

1 hour ago, lkraus said:

Mornin' DR,

I was concentrating on the "no turn instructions with tracks" part of Dave's post, and really did not think about the Track-Back part. I've never needed that feature.

So let's see... 

Obviously, the GPS has to have been set to record your path. That''s a check box under Settings>Device>Travel History.  That saves your ride as a track which you can find in the Tracks app under the "Active" tab, named by date, time, and distance.

Select the track and it is displayed on screen. Tap the wrench icon to save it as a track or trip(route).

Saved as a track,  you are prompted for a name, and thereafter you can load it as any other track from the "Saved" tab in the Track app and display it on the map via the wrench icon check box. Presumably, you are at one end of the displayed line already and would just turn around and follow it? 

Saved as a route, you given a direction choice (Start to Finish or Finish to Start) and given a chance to change the name.  Load the route from the Trip Planner app and go.

So it looks like the 595 has the function, but using it may require a few more steps than other models? I've no experience with other Garmins for comparison.  I believe the 590 and the Nav V & VI work the same way as the 595 in most respects.

Morning Larry

Can't you just Select Apps, then select TracBack, (there should be some track-back options there). At least on other newer Garmin devices there is.

Ooops..  There it is, second page of Apps, TracBack.    Again, not a function I've ever had a need for, so never explored the possibility before this morning.

5719.jpg.cba704d5efba8f13e3c75bd2d7b6f880.jpg

I'd not seen that option before either, due to it needing a 'page down' I guess.

I selected that (Trackback) and it figured the route I took last night coming home - but it had no option to select any other track. It loaded up and I began and my 595 DID give me audio directions - I just went down the street and turned around. Cool!

What happens if I've stopped and started several times (with the garmin turning off and therefore starting new tracks)? Will it only tackback the last segment or will it link all of the days rides together? As I said, it only tracked back the route I took home last night, but not the track from earlier in the day.

8 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

What happens if I've stopped and started several times (with the garmin turning off and therefore starting new tracks)? Will it only tackback the last segment or will it link all of the days rides together? As I said, it only tracked back the route I took home last night, but not the track from earlier in the day.

Afternoon Dave

That is something that I have also wondered as the few times that I have used that track-back  option (never on a 595 though)  it has been on a non-stop  continuous route.

I guess  you riders with the 595 will have to play with it then let the rest of us know how it works.    

1 hour ago, Indy Dave said:

The longer methods I posted earlier should let you follow those earlier tracks.  Make them a trip, and the 595 will calculate a route from your current location and lead you back to the selected start of that track segment.

FWIW, new map is out. City Navigator North America NT 2020.20.

Off topic: I would be indebted to anyone who can find a way in Basecamp to show city and town names without also showing township admin office locations. It's useless info that makes the screen appear to have measles.measles.jpg.a301271c831485e4b7edff3d75f7074f.jpg

1 hour ago, lkraus said:

The longer methods I posted earlier should let you follow those earlier tracks.  Make them a trip, and the 595 will calculate a route from your current location and lead you back to the selected start of that track segment.

Thanks. I was awatre of the earlier method and have used that before to cobble a hald days worth of segments back onto a route. First I've learned of the trackback feature - and it makes sense that the garmin would have that. I guess the old "reverse route' was too simple....

Can't help of the other... Basecamp.. the program you love to hate.

2 hours ago, lkraus said:

Off topic: I would be indebted to anyone who can find a way in Basecamp to show city and town names without also showing township admin office locations. It's useless info that makes the screen appear to have measles.measles.jpg.a301271c831485e4b7edff3d75f7074f.jpg

Afternoon Larry

I don't know if this is what you are looing for but try clicking on VIEW at top then clicking on SELECTED ITEMS ON MAP.

Or, turn map detail level down to low or medium.

It won't remove them but can mask them

I miss the declutter setting that was on my old GPS units.

I think "Selected Items" zooms and centers the map on whatever item is highlighted in the left pane? I see fewer township names, but only because a smaller part of the map is visible.

Turning down the map detail does eliminates the township names and office locations (the exact level depending on the amount of zoom) but I lose nearly all the city and town names at the same time.

I don't understand why Garmin includes this data in their maps. Even if there were a reason to show the boundaries of the township (which they do not), the expectation would be that the name would be centered in the area. Instead, they mark the locations of the township offices

To me, this is just annoying clutter that makes it harder to read the map.  

The real solution would be for Garmin to change the categorization of the data. Each Activity profile offers options for which type of data to display. Township offices are lumped into "Cities". That covers communities of any size, apparently, so it's an all or nothing choice.  If they would be considered a sub-category of "Community" they could be toggled on/off like "City Hall" or "Government Office".  

Maybe I should try to get Garmin to change their maps.:rofl:

points.jpg

21 minutes ago, lkraus said:

I think "Selected Items" zooms and centers the map on whatever item is highlighted in the left pane? I see fewer township names, but only because a smaller part of the map is visible.

Turning down the map detail does eliminates the township names and office locations (the exact level depending on the amount of zoom) but I lose nearly all the city and town names at the same time.

I don't understand why Garmin includes this data in their maps. Even if there were a reason to show the boundaries of the township (which they do not), the expectation would be that the name would be centered in the area. Instead, they mark the locations of the township offices

To me, this is just annoying clutter that makes it harder to read the map.  

The real solution would be for Garmin to change the categorization of the data. Each Activity profile offers options for which type of data to display. Township offices are lumped into "Cities". That covers communities of any size, apparently, so it's an all or nothing choice.  If they would be considered a sub-category of "Community" they could be toggled on/off like "City Hall" or "Government Office".  

Maybe I should try to get Garmin to change their maps.:rofl:

points.jpg

Afternoon Larry

Maybe play some more with the map display features, I turned off all points (entire category) & that killed the dots, I then turned cities only back on & the city names came back.

Maybe turn all points off, then selectively bring each box back on one at a time & see what you end up with.

A lot of that info is carried in the map TYP file, I can edit (change)  that on my  Open Street mapping that I usually ride with.

I do have a program that will allow me to break out the NT map TYP file but I have no idea on IF Garmin locking will allow me to remove it, edit it, then reinstall it, then actually use that new type file.

Some day when the weather is bad & days are short  I might try editing the 2020.2 TYP file to see what can be done.

Back to my original point, you cannot reverse a route with the GPS unit. If you have the same starting and ending point and you decide you want to take the route in the opposite direction, there is no feature on the GPS to reverse that route. That is different from doing a tracback, as tracbsck  reverses a route one has already taken by using tracks .

31 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

Back to my original point, you cannot reverse a route with the GPS unit. If you have the same starting and ending point and you decide you want to take the route in the opposite direction, there is no feature on the GPS to reverse that route. That is different from doing a tracback, as tracbsck  reverses a route one has already taken by using tracks .

Afternoon Dave

Once you hit track-back & it reverse's your track  is there an option under to save  (save track) as a 'route' or   'save as a trip' then re-name it?

Good Afternoon D.R. -

I was on my phone when I responded and probably wasn't clear. This is for a route that has not been taken yet - so there are no tracks.

For Example: You've made a route that Starts at A, then goes to B> C> D> E and then back to A - so the route has the same starting and finishing points.

Now, if I want to run the route in the reverse order: A>E>D>C>B and back to A, there is no option to do that.

Or even simpler: The route has A to B. But for whatever reason, you went another way to B. But now at B, you want to run your original planned route, only now from B to A. There's no option to reverse that route. While I'm not looking at my old 660 right now, I'm fairly certain the generations before the 595 did have this option.

For this reason I often will use the reverse function in Basecamp and have two versions of a route that have the same starting and ending point.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

Good Afternoon D.R. -

I was on my phone when I responded and probably wasn't clear. This is for a route that has not been taken yet - so there are no tracks.

For Example: You've made a route that Starts at A, then goes to B> C> D> E and then back to A - so the route has the same starting and finishing points.

Now, if I want to run the route in the reverse order: A>E>D>C>B and back to A, there is no option to do that.

Or even simpler: The route has A to B. But for whatever reason, you went another way to B. But now at B, you want to run your original planned route, only now from B to A. There's no option to reverse that route. While I'm not looking at my old 660 right now, I'm fairly certain the generations before the 595 did have this option.

For this reason I often will use the reverse function in Basecamp and have two versions of a route that have the same starting and ending point.

Afternoon Dave

OK that now makes sense.

I see your point but that doesn't seem like it would happen often, if you haven't started the route yet then you would probably be near a computer with BaseCamp. On the few times that it would be an issue then you  manually re-order the route I suppose.

Like you, I usually make a To (1) & from route (2) so I simply click on the route (2) to ride back to origin.

Every once in a while I will  start riding a route then deviate enough from it that I would like to simply reverse the track & ride it back to origin as a route. The Track-Back should handle this OK.   

• 2 weeks later...
Joe Frickin' Friday

So I plotted a route for a local day ride, and rode it this morning.  I paid attention to setting via points, putting them in strategic locations after various towns, and giving them useful names like "After Dexter," "After Chelsea," and so on.  Things went better.  I know how to turn alerts on/off for various via points, and having left several alerts turns on that I didn't need, I now see that I should turn a lot of them off.  

I also found the separate volume controls inside the 595's menu, so I was able to dial back the volume there, which means I can leave my Sena volume maxed out, enabling me to hear riding partners.  

So thanks for all your help, guys; this was great.  

:18:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Joe Frickin' Friday

OK, next Zumo 595 question:

right now its internal memory is stuffed with routes and waypoints from a Wisconsin trip I took last month.  I'd like to get rid of this before putting in next week's FART routes.  But if I try to cut items from the Zumo's memory, it wants to also delete it from the library on my PC.

So...

How do I clear out the Zumo's memory (either in whole or in part) without also wiping out the collection of stuff on my PC?

29 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

OK, next Zumo 595 question:

right now its internal memory is stuffed with routes and waypoints from a Wisconsin trip I took last month.  I'd like to get rid of this before putting in next week's FART routes.  But if I try to cut items from the Zumo's memory, it wants to also delete it from the library on my PC.

So...

How do I clear out the Zumo's memory (either in whole or in part) without also wiping out the collection of stuff on my PC?

Afternoon Mitch

I don’t have a 595 but it probably isn’t much different than other similar Garmin GPS devices.

Your routes are not stored in the GPS memory (memory is volatile so goes blank  after GPS shutdown)

(with GPS not connected to the computer) -- Have you tried  (APPS), then (TRIP PLANNER), then (MENU icon), then (DELETE TRIPS) from drop down menu?  (pick what trips to delete)

I’m not sure on the 595 how to delete saved  tracks but you probably need to find, then click on, track manager (it should have a way to delete both stored & current tracks).

• Like 1

Mitch,

I can't stand the clutter on my old Zumo 450 either.  Before any big trip where I have some new routes and waypoints, I first delete all the old routes and favorites on the device.  Then I connect it up to the computer.  On a 450/550, there is simply file/directory access from Finder/File Manager whatever.  I delete the files in Garmin/GPX folder on the device called Temp.gpx and Current.gpx (as I recall).  That deletes the imported routes and favorites from the new data ready for import when you turn the device on.  Not sure if that makes any sense.  I assume (big assumption) that the newer units have similar files?

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

Mike - does that also delete your stored tracks in the unit?

I don't think so.  But I delete those on the device itself.  And reset the odometer and trip gauges.

• Like 2

Mike and Dave, before deleting those files on the GPS, using your windows file manger or the Apple Finder menu, you could copy those .GPX files onto your hard drive for historical data. If you like. Then delete those files. 

You may have to close BaseCamp first and eject the GPS from BaseCamp. 

Of course you can delete the routes and Waypoints on the GPS, either individual or all at once. But I believe this only deletes it from the temporary memory “Ram?”. 

Joe Frickin' Friday
On 9/21/2019 at 11:14 AM, greiffster said:

Mitch,

I can't stand the clutter on my old Zumo 450 either.  Before any big trip where I have some new routes and waypoints, I first delete all the old routes and favorites on the device.  Then I connect it up to the computer.  On a 450/550, there is simply file/directory access from Finder/File Manager whatever.  I delete the files in Garmin/GPX folder on the device called Temp.gpx and Current.gpx (as I recall).  That deletes the imported routes and favorites from the new data ready for import when you turn the device on.  Not sure if that makes any sense.  I assume (big assumption) that the newer units have similar files?

Thanks.  This seems like an awfully pedestrian approach, surely not what Garmin had in mind, but it worked, mostly.  Got rid of most of the clutter - old routes, waypoints, and so on.  But I'm still showing a list of active logs from my Wisconsin trip in August. 

I can't figure out where they are on the 595 using Windows Explorer.

I can't find a way to delete them from the 595's touchscreen.

I can copy them to a PC folder using Basecamp, but I can't delete them from the 595 using BaseCamp.  

:4607:

Not a crisis, I'll still be able to FART without any problems.  But wondering how to get rid of this stuff.  

1 hour ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Thanks.  This seems like an awfully pedestrian approach, surely not what Garmin had in mind, but it worked, mostly.  Got rid of most of the clutter - old routes, waypoints, and so on.  But I'm still showing a list of active logs from my Wisconsin trip in August. 

I can't figure out where they are on the 595 using Windows Explorer.

I can't find a way to delete them from the 595's touchscreen.

I can copy them to a PC folder using Basecamp, but I can't delete them from the 595 using BaseCamp.  

:4607:

Not a crisis, I'll still be able to FART without any problems.  But wondering how to get rid of this stuff.  

Yeah, I'd like to know what Garmin had in mind on lots of stuff.

Not sure on the newer models, but the logs, trip data, fuel reset, averages and alike are a little buried on the 450.  I hit the speed button on the lower left of the touch screen and it bring me to another display where that stuff is accessed.  I clear it right on the device.  You can't get to it from the main icon/menu screens.  I haven't really looked if there exists a file on the device accessible from the file manager that contains that data. I don't think there is.

The Zumo will keep the current tracks available in the Track App. Once they become a certain size, and that used to be 1 Meg, the Zumo archives them. It will store 20 such archive files with consecutive numbers. When it creates number 21, it automatically deletes number 1.  

The archived tracks can not be viewed on the Zumo. 

If you open in windows or Mac the folder Garmin/GPX/Archives you can see them, safe them by copying them to your computer. Or delete them or ignore them. 

I can explain more at FART. 

Try Apps>Where I've Been>3 bar menu on upper left>Clear Travel History.

It's an all-or-nothing option, so transfer anything worth keeping to Basecamp before deleting the evidence of that top speed run.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

I have just (finally) upgraded to a Zumo 595LM, I've been running Zumo 550 & 600.

On all the earlier Zumo devices when you create a GPX file with multiple routes (e.g. a big route split into say day sections, etc.)

You could use some basic rules to ensure the routes appeared in the Zumo in a sequential order (or whatever order you wanted them, instead of randomly).

For example, naming the routes as below, would force the Zumo 550 & 600 to display/list them in this exact order.

#1A route to Day 1

#1B route to Day 2

#1C route to Day 3

#2A route back Day 1

#2B route back Day 2

On the Zumo 595 these naming conventions don't seem to be respected, the result being that the routes are all randomly listed/mixed in the Trip Planner display.

My question is, does anyone know how to force the Zumo 595 to follow any kind of order for routes, what's the naming convention to achieve this?

TIA.