Sign in to follow this  
kruuuzn

TB sync.

roger 04 rt
7 minutes ago, kruuuzn said:

One more question; why do they recommend you ride the bike to get the motor up to temp? Why can't you do that on the center stand and just keep an eye on the oil temp?

Because that method minimizes the risk of overheating. With enough cooling air you can do either.

roger 04 rt
15 minutes ago, kruuuzn said:

THIS morning I got my feeler gages out and did this with a .002 shim. Then I gently put a little pressure on the cam and got the shim to drag. I would consider this closed for all practical purposes, wouldn't you?

If you put any pressure on the cam to get it to drag it wasn’t fully closed.  

Math says that 0.32 degrees is about 5 thousandth of an inch at the throttle stop. It’s a tiny amount and you could easily have moved it that much with “gentle pressure”.

and 0.32 degrees would make a large change to your TB BBS setting. 

kruuuzn

True, but at least that eliminates my concern of somebody messing with them in the past. The stops appear to be in their original locations.

kruuuzn

UPDATE:

I woke up this morning thinking about the left bank intake valves. Could this be causing the wacky setting on the LH BBS? I kept thinking that I DID chase those two valve settings a little.

Soooooooo, I pulled the valves covers off for about the forth time to re-check them (I'm getting pretty good at this part). And after all the run time yesterday they're right where I left them. Judging from larger and smaller feeler gauge comparisons they have got to be within .0005. As a journeyman tool maker, I'm a happy camper with that.

Jim Moore

Those screws need to be resting on the stops, not just barely off. You also need a tiny amount of slack in the lower cables so you can balance them.

kruuuzn
1 hour ago, Jim Moore said:

Those screws need to be resting on the stops, not just barely off.

I would agree but that wouldn't account for the big change in the BBS settings when I synced the TBs at idle. All that was changed was a cleaning of the BBS screws (and they weren't the least bit dirty) and lashing the valves.

roger 04 rt

Actually, a slightly different off stop distance would likely account for the big bbs difference. Just a tiny difference in any cable length or position could do it. 

roger 04 rt

If, as DR suggested, you remove the cables from the TB pulley and then adjust the BBSs, you may find the settings are more similar to each other. 

kruuuzn

Well, the problem was the TB cable adjusters were too tight. I'm thinking it was left over from a bad BMW service. This would be the reason I found the BBS adjustments to be more closed than spec when I started. They adjusted the cables too tight and got the idle back down by closing the BBSs.

So I:

Loosened all the cable adjusters and made sure the TB stops were dragging on a two grand shim.

Balanced the BBS's. They balanced perfectly at 1-1/4 and 1-3/4 turns out.

Watched my manometer while I took the slack out of the TB cable adjusters at a higher rpm. When the all the slack came out of the cable you could see the fluid level change.

Balanced the TB cables at 2,000 rpm by turning the adjuster that made the cable SHORTER.

Man, this thing balanced perfectly.

Thanks everyone for the help. Every post had tidbits that helped me reason this out in my mind.

DR: did you stay dry yesterday? We had some extreme storms up here. It was so dark at 2:00 in the afternoon that it would have easily passed for midnight.

dirtrider
6 hours ago, kruuuzn said:

Well, the problem was the TB cable adjusters were too tight. I'm thinking it was left over from a bad BMW service. This would be the reason I found the BBS adjustments to be more closed than spec when I started. They adjusted the cables too tight and got the idle back down by closing the BBSs.

So I:

Loosened all the cable adjusters and made sure the TB stops were dragging on a two grand shim.

Balanced the BBS's. They balanced perfectly at 1-1/4 and 1-3/4 turns out.

Watched my manometer while I took the slack out of the TB cable adjusters at a higher rpm. When the all the slack came out of the cable you could see the fluid level change.

Balanced the TB cables at 2,000 rpm by turning the adjuster that made the cable SHORTER.

Man, this thing balanced perfectly.

Thanks everyone for the help. Every post had tidbits that helped me reason this out in my mind.

DR: did you stay dry yesterday? We had some extreme storms up here. It was so dark at 2:00 in the afternoon that it would have easily passed for midnight.

Evening  kruuuzn

Oh yes!, lots of rain, lots & lots of mud, the mud got so bad I couldn't read my GPS or dash, then we dodged fallen  trees until dark (very heavy winds knocked a bunch of big trees down). But it was a great time off-roading (lots of single track sugar sand) but the damp ground was very fast.

Today some rain this morning then it turned pretty decent for the ride home.  

Glad you figured your BBS adjustments out (it sort of pointed to something like that).

How did that high-tec manometer work out for you? 

kruuuzn

That sounds like a fun day. Some of my best riding memories are of flailing around in the mud. I think everyone should first learn how to ride in the dirt before even THINKING about a road bike.

My $8 manometer worked GREAT! I was so glad I returned the Carbtune I bought and built this instead. It was really handy also when I took the slack out of the lower cables.

SAS

na

Daniel-J

Not long ago I was cleaning the garage and it turned out that my floor fan broke down. It was old. Which one do you use? Can you recommend it? I found some, they don't seem bad.

dirtrider
3 hours ago, Daniel-J said:

Not long ago I was cleaning the garage and it turned out that my floor fan broke down. It was old. Which one do you use? Can you recommend it? I found some, they don't seem bad.

Morning Daniel 

I use a few different fans-- I have a couple of old large (1960's) box fans that push a good amount of air. I use those if I need equal air follow to each side of the engine. I also have some homemade stands made to allow them to be lifted up so I can use then on running motorcycles on my motorcycle lift.

For most (quick balance or even a quick engine cool down) I have a homemade high flow squirrel cage type fan with larger 1/2 HP motor & larger diameter motor belt pulley mounted on an lawn fertilizer chassis that I just push to the motorcycle then plug in. This thing pushes a massive amount of air if needed & can help cool an engine (or me)  down fairly quickly. 

• Like 1

PAS
40 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Dirtrider said:

For most (quick balance or even a quick engine cool down) I have a homemade high flow squirrel cage type fan with larger 1/2 HP motor & larger diameter motor belt pulley mounted on an lawn fertilizer chassis that I just push to the motorcycle then plug in. This thing pushes a massive amount of air if needed & can help cool an engine (or me)  down fairly quickly. 

Blower cage out of an old furnace is what I also use!

• Like 1