IGNORED

Attempted Fluid Change on Final Drive for '05 RT

rglassma

At approx. 11K since the last fluid change, today we attempted to do it again.  Unfortunately, this time, when we took the wheel off, released the rear caliper, and attempted to unscrew the speed sensor screw, it turned out to be frozen in place.  We tried everything from loosening it with penetrating spray like liquid wrench, heating it up with a soldering iron (didn't want to use a torch because it was too close to the speed sensor and we were afraid that we would fry it with too much heat).  After several hours of trying, the already partially opened up hex key receptacle on the screw became unusable.  So, we went further and attempted to use an easy-out tool to loosen it.  Still to no avail. All it did was take away more metal.

At that point, I figured it was best to just button it back up and ask for help.  The fluid is still in it.  So, it is still ridable without issue.  The bike has over 83K miles on it.  And in the numerous times that we have changed the final drive fluid, we have never experienced this type of problem before.  

Has anyone out there experienced this type of problem?  How did you resolve it.  Since I have no experience with helicoils, I have no choice but to bring it to a certified tech to deal with.

Any help would be appreciated. 

7 hours ago, rglassma said:

At approx. 11K since the last fluid change, today we attempted to do it again.  Unfortunately, this time, when we took the wheel off, released the rear caliper, and attempted to unscrew the speed sensor screw, it turned out to be frozen in place.  We tried everything from loosening it with penetrating spray like liquid wrench, heating it up with a soldering iron (didn't want to use a torch because it was too close to the speed sensor and we were afraid that we would fry it with too much heat).  After several hours of trying, the already partially opened up hex key receptacle on the screw became unusable.  So, we went further and attempted to use an easy-out tool to loosen it.  Still to no avail. All it did was take away more metal.

At that point, I figured it was best to just button it back up and ask for help.  The fluid is still in it.  So, it is still ridable without issue.  The bike has over 83K miles on it.  And in the numerous times that we have changed the final drive fluid, we have never experienced this type of problem before.  

Has anyone out there experienced this type of problem?  How did you resolve it.  Since I have no experience with helicoils, I have no choice but to bring it to a certified tech to deal with.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Morning rglassma

I presume that your 05 bike still has the Gen 1 final drive (ie drain plug on the bottom of housing?)

Dealing with a stuck bolt or screw in an area  that can disable the vehicle is a difficult decision. Once you start the unique removal process then you are committed to follow through until removed & replaced.

If the hex is so torn up that there is no way to get a good hex wrench to hold & there is no good way to drive the next larger size hex wrench in (usually with a need to switch from metric to SAE sizes). Then it usually takes welding on a washer & nut but that is probably not an option with the small screw size as well as the screw  going through the speed sensor housing.

Seeing as there is a speed sensor involved you don't want to beat on the screw very hard or use a lot of heat as you could damage the speed sensor.   

My usual next move is to drill the screw head completely off, then pull the speed sensor off over the remaining stud. (this needs to done with care & precision so you  don't damage the speed sensor but do get the entire screw head removed)  

Once apart then use heat on the screw/drive housing & a pair of Vise Grip pliers on the remainder of the screw BUT! (big but here), once this process is started  it is a commitment to stay with whatever is needed until the screw is either spun out, or drilled out & re-threaded, or drilled out &  heli-coiled.

If you cannot fully commit to do whatever it takes to stay with it to remove that screw then don't start the process but ride the bike to someone that does this type of fastener removal for a living.

• Like 2

Thanks for your reply Dirtrider.  The problem was resolved.  I brought the bike to Moto Works Denver.  Tim (their tech) fixed it by using an easy out (we didn't drill deep enough for it it to bite since we have little experience with the process).  He was able to resolve the problem and change the fluid in 1 hours time.  Cheap fix (106.00) .. My hats off to great guys over there .  If you are in Denver, I highly recommend them.

I know when I am above my head and wanted to make sure that I didn't go to far.  

• Like 2
10 hours ago, rglassma said:

Thanks for your reply Dirtrider.  The problem was resolved.  I brought the bike to Moto Works Denver.  Tim (their tech) fixed it by using an easy out (we didn't drill deep enough for it it to bite since we have little experience with the process).  He was able to resolve the problem and change the fluid in 1 hours time.  Cheap fix (106.00) .. My hats off to great guys over there .  If you are in Denver, I highly recommend them.

I know when I am above my head and wanted to make sure that I didn't go to far.  

Afternoon rglassma

Well that sure makes for a positive day, great news.

• 2 weeks later...

It actually turns out that we didn't drill deep enough into the bolt and were not trained with the easy out.  So we made the correct choice.  Bike is running great at almost 84k.