IGNORED

05 RT final drive

vhntr1

I served my final drive today,fluid looks good no metal shavings,last service was 3000 miles ago cleaned and lubricant the splins. 

My question is after putting the bike together and checking for play I have none detected at 3and 9 and just a sight bit of play at 12 and 6 is this normal.The bike has 62,000 on it .

thanks 

CoarsegoldKid

Some small amount of play has been normal to mine for 14 years.  I believe it must have room for expansion due to heat.  Then one day you'll hear a squeeky/scratchy sound as you roll it out of the garage.  Mine came at 117K miles.  That's the sound of impending failure.  In my case the pinion bearing.

16 hours ago, vhntr1 said:

I served my final drive today,fluid looks good no metal shavings,last service was 3000 miles ago cleaned and lubricant the splins. 

My question is after putting the bike together and checking for play I have none detected at 3and 9 and just a sight bit of play at 12 and 6 is this normal.The bike has 62,000 on it .

thanks 

Evening  vhntr1

Yes, pretty normal, up to 1mm measured at the wheel rim (cold)  is within BMW specs. (1mm is a lot of movement).

With movement only noted in 12 and 6 direction you might be seeing some swing arm to drive pivot-bearing movement.

Thanks for the quick response dirt rider ,I won't worry about it planning on taking this bike to Montana next year trying to cover all the things that might need to be done.