IGNORED

R 1100 RT-P Conversion

James_H

I have purchased the parts to convert the bike or should I say remove the radio box and add the second seat. I am getting the parts from A&S. Anyone know of a set of instructions on doing this?

Thanks.

Jim

Sorry, don't have the procedure, since mine was converted by the dealer. I'm willing to send you photos of what it looks like after conversion (PM me if you want them).

I've considered doing the mod at times, and my plan-of-action included finding a cooperative buddy with a similar civilian R1100RT who is willing to loan it for a few days, and let me remove the fairings. Working side by side between the RTP and RT, the mod shouldn't be that tough.

I've actually looked up every diagram and part on the BMW kit parts list, and have the part numbers and prices on a spreadsheet. (I expect that I can beat the price of the kit by two or three hundred dollars by finding a few of the pricier parts from beemerboneyard.com and other scrapers, and ordering the rest of the parts OEM. But the kit is probably the smart, i.e. time & cost effective way to go.)

In any case, after looking at the specifications in detail, and having had my bike fairings and rear radio box off for rewiring fun, I'm confident that I could figure out 90% of the mods quickly, and figure out the other 10% by just looking at another bike.

If I convert it, I'll do the entire job, plus plug the RT crash bar holes (as I have other road rash repairs to make), and then repaint it. For now, I've decided to leave it an RTP. I can't make up my mind. Repainting the bike makes it less visable and therefore, less safe.

Good luck.

If you guys are interested, I'll take some photos as I do the conversion. There is an RT-P website with lots of photos of RT-P's. Suprisingly, a lot of the authority bikes keep the second seat. So converting it back does not break the image. I'd like to keep the crash bars so my intent is to do that, maybe removing the strobe light or is it the antenna mount bracket and bar.

I just want the ability to ride to up. Sometimes sharing the ride is fun with the right person. smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I received the parts for the conversion of the RT-P to a two seater. The parts came FedEx ground. That poised it's own problems due to a requirement to actually sign for the package and there being no way to predict delivery. It means you have to say at home for the entire day or go to the FedEx ground facility to pick up the packages in person.

I began by trying to compare the list of part in the invoice to selected fiche print outs. Turns out that was not very productive. Some parts matched the indicated parts number some did not.

I decieded to use the brute force approach and figured logic would be an asset. So far that has worked.

I wanted to keep the rear crash bars. After disasembling the radio box, I found the strobe power supply underneath. It was held in place by one partially inserted screw. I figured the rest worked out due to vibration and given the trouble of removing the radio box for access, no one would ever check them for tigthness. I removed it and was left with a relay board in the back cowling. It appeared I could remount it but that turned out to not be an option. I don't think it's part of the normal power control system on the bike.

After that I was left with a large number of wires, none of which had an obivous function. I have deceided to leave them in place, neatly coiled and protected.

I have completed about 80% of the conversion. All I really have to do now is to remove the relay board, another small relay mounted on the lower rear cowling, attach the upper part of the rear cowling and then attach the luggage rack.

I tried to re-use as many of the original parts so I am left with a large number of small parts left over. Some of which I know where they might be used. At least two have me baffled. One is a sex of six small plastic inserts that obviously take a screw in some form, that is they are attachment anchors and the other items are set of four large bushings for which I don't see an obvious use.

After I installed the rear seat key lock I noticed that the rear crash bars provide an obstruction to the use of the key. Since I wanted to keep the rear crash bars, I am going to try and modify the key to see if I can get enough clearance to use it.

Attaching the upper part of the rear cowling might poise some problems since access to the attachment screws is some what limited. But I suspect it can be done.

Jim

After disasembling the radio box, I found the strobe power supply underneath. It was held in place by one partially inserted screw. I figured the rest worked out due to vibration and given the trouble of removing the radio box for access, no one would ever check them for tigthness. I removed it and was left with a relay board in the back cowling. It appeared I could remount it but that turned out to not be an option. I don't think it's part of the normal power control system on the bike.

For what it's worth: All the strobe power supply controls are the strobes. You don't have them anymore, so you don't need the power supply. However, if you still have the second battery, all those electrical connectors under the radio box (about six) are "live", and useful for other things like extra lights. And (per second hand info), you can run that second battery dead and the bike will still work fine on the 1st battery.

Also, that Whelen power supply (probably a UPS690) is worth something. Check out the current (and completed) sales on Ebay. You can probably pick yourself up another $60 in farkles with the resale of that part. grin.gif

Thanks. I found that some of the wires going to the relay board are still hot and part of the turn signal system. I'll have to investigate more on that. Right now the board is still there.

I wondered about the strobe power supply. I'll check Ebay.

Don't forget, there used to be amber turn signals on the left/righ side, right behind/above the riders seat. (on the sides of the radio box)

Thanks. I found that some of the wires going to the relay board are still hot and part of the turn signal system. I'll have to investigate more on that. Right now the board is still there.

This is one of those points where I'd be referring to a tech parts drawing (A&S BMW has it online), and looking for a civilian model to compare. I haven't had that part of the bike apart for a while (and still have my radio box), but that relay board seemed to be an embedded part of the radio box (or underlying support). So the civilian model must have an equivalent part. Ask around this forum for someone close by to show you there RT, or go to a dealer and bug the service guys. Take a pix of your RTP set up to compare side-by-side with a civ RT at the dealer. They might help you out.

It was a fun job doing the conversion. I grinded part of the key and left it in place. I use a metal rod to turn the key.

Archived