IGNORED

Power Outlet is Tiny

MichiganBob

MichiganBob

Good Afternoon,

I wanted to hook my Garmin up to my 2018 1200 RT and the power outlet diameter  is much smaller than the stock socket or the ones on my earlier 02 and 12 models. What is the deal with the mini socket and is there an adapter to reduce larger sockets like the one on my battery charger?

Any input is appreciated.

Take care,

Michiganbob

The power outlets on every BMW that I have owned since 1982 have all been the same size.  I currently still own my 1982 R100RT, 91 K100LT, 2004 R1150RT and 2018 R1200RT.  They all have the same size power outlet which is what Biker_911 has shown you is available at Amazon.  Is it possible that your earlier bikes had cigarette style power outlets added by previous owners?

MichiganBob

That's a great question kioolt. My wife often accuses me of not being very observant. Went out to the garage and found my Optimate 4 charger -- the one I used on my 02 and 12 ,and lo and behold, it fits the 2018 socket. So the culprit is the Garmin plug. Either I find one with a smaller diameter (than the cigarette style socket it uses) or go with the gizmo Biker_911 found for me on amazon and use a cable with a USB on one side and a USB Mini -b. 

23 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

Either I find one with a smaller diameter (than the cigarette style socket it uses) or go with the gizmo Biker_911 found for me on amazon and use a cable with a USB on one side and a USB Mini -b. 

Another option ...

dintocig.jpg.26f9f665159bce5c12588f6f433c7cba.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0199YC9C4/ref=psdc_15729631_t5_B01N6HMNQG

OR if you want to make a permanent change ...

340747447_ScreenShot2019-07-14at1_13_42PM.thumb.png.88f67ce649b011d820faef669b3c88de.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J7E5CLQ/ref=psdc_15729631_t4_B0199YC9C4

MichiganBob

+

That jogged a brain cell chrisolson. I'm thinking that I have one of those lying around from when I would charge my cell phone from the bike. Time to get down some garage cartons. Many thanks all.

• 2 weeks later...
NoFatNoFlavor
On 7/14/2019 at 4:59 PM, MichiganBob said:

Anyone using a ram mount to the clutch or brake assembly?

Hope you get some answers here -- I'm looking for the same (brake reservoir, since that's the side where the power is) to mount my phone on my 2017 RT.  Foolishly, I went to rammount.com and used their "builder", which asked zero questions about bike make/model, and then went over to twistedthrottle and ordered what was suggested (B-346U Brake or Clutch Reservoir Cover Base | Offset), and lo and behold discovered today that it would have fit my '09 RT just dandy, but not the 2017.  Really looking for the best fitment for mounting an iPhone, but am having a hell of a time scrounging forums and vendors for solutions with pics.  Maybe I'm not searching properly...