IGNORED

Baseline service for '09 RT

EvilTwin

My new to me '09 RT was last serviced in 2017 and has had probably about 2k miles put on it since then.   Being slightly cheap, I told the dealer I would do the service on my own.  I figure its a good way to baseline the condition of the bike which just turned over 28K last week.

I've searched this site and the web in general, lots of good info out there.  Current plan is to do:

• Engine Oil Change 
  • Transmission Oil Change
  • Rear Diff Change and Spline Lube
  • Brake Bleed

I've got a list of supplies started on Amazon although I may get some locally at Walmart if I can find it cheaper.

• Honda HN 08798-9010 MOLY PASTE 
  • MAHLE (OC 306) Original Oil Filter
  • Mobil 1 104361-UNIT 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube 
  • Valvoline 773636  75 W 140 Gear oil

• 150ML Syringes
  • Dot 4 Brake Fluid

Going to give myself a whole afternoon or longer to get it done, no rush.  Brakes will be last on the list.  Not sure if I need to get the Speed bleeders or not.  Any other tips or advice or things I may have missed?

Bob

1 hour ago, EvilTwin said:

My new to me '09 RT was last serviced in 2017 and has had probably about 2k miles put on it since then.   Being slightly cheap, I told the dealer I would do the service on my own.  I figure its a good way to baseline the condition of the bike which just turned over 28K last week.

I've searched this site and the web in general, lots of good info out there.  Current plan is to do:

• Engine Oil Change 
  • Transmission Oil Change
  • Rear Diff Change and Spline Lube
  • Brake Bleed

I've got a list of supplies started on Amazon although I may get some locally at Walmart if I can find it cheaper.

• Honda HN 08798-9010 MOLY PASTE 
  • MAHLE (OC 306) Original Oil Filter
  • Mobil 1 104361-UNIT 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube  
  • Valvoline 773636  75 W 140 Gear oil

• 150ML Syringes
  • Dot 4 Brake Fluid

Going to give myself a whole afternoon or longer to get it done, no rush.  Brakes will be last on the list.  Not sure if I need to get the Speed bleeders or not.  Any other tips or advice or things I may have missed?

Bob

Afternoon Bob

Do you have a filter wrench that will fit that MAHLE (OC 306 (they are a bit odd on the filter wrench fitment)

You show 150 mL syringe, your final drive holds  180 ml. I have a small plastic bottle that holds about 200 ml , I precisely measured out 180 ml of water then dumped that in the bottle, then put a paint line on the bottle at the 180 ml line (then dumped the water out & dried bottle) . I now use this same bottle for every final drive gear oil change (just fill to the paint line then dump the oil in the drive).  

No speed bleeders needed as the later  BMW 1200 I-ABS gen2 systems bleed out pretty darn easily.

Cover  all the body plastic around the brake reservoir  & cover the plastic dash & IP cluster as brake fluid can quickly ruin those (I use plastic garbage bags with newspaper over the garbage bags in the high spillage area)

Toss a "clean" utility knife blade into the front brake reservoir (all the way down to the bottom) as that will prevent  the take-up port from squirting fluid up & out of the reservoir when you pump the brake lever.

Book says to push the front brake caliper pistons back into the bores & hold there  for the bleed service (not a bad idea but not completely necessary).

Probably wouldn't hurt to check the air filter as you will have the R/H side Tupperware removed for the trans service anyhow  (kind of a pain to access but it is a baseline procedure). I worked on a 1200 bike last spring that a friend bought used from a guy that took real good care of it (all services done on time) & when I removed the air filter snorkel there  was a shop rag blocking 3/4 of the filter   (apparently was put in the snorkel to keep mice out of the air cleaner during winter storage then forgotten about in the spring).

Probably wouldn't hurt to do a baseline valve adjustment check while you are working on it (real easy to check & fairly easy if they need to be adjusted).

Easy way to fill the final drive ___

jnTgJz0.jpg

Afternoon Bob

Go to this web site, then scroll down (way down) to the 1200RT  2005-09. You should find the current suggested service requirements for annual service, mileage service, etc  (basically BMW dealer service sheets)

Only problem is the service is in Km's not miles so you have to convert.

https://www.ascycles.com/bmw_motorcycle_service_and_maintenance_schedules#RHex