IGNORED

Orange County fatal bike collision.

RTJohn

A few days ago four people were killed on Santiago Canyon Road in Orange County. Initial reporting said a two-up bike attempted to pass a car on a curve and double yellow. They hit an oncoming two-up bike coming from the other direction. Horrible. Killed all four of them.

Think twice folks.

I am with you RPG!

Generally speaking, I find that accidents, and incidents of the unpleasant sorts, are caused by somebody being impatient!  Unfortunately, we all get into that mood sometimes, and when I do, and can't shake it, then I simply turn around and go home.  Not a day to be riding, or driving.

• Like 2
On 7/13/2019 at 9:29 AM, PadG said:

I am with you RPG!

Generally speaking, I find that accidents, and incidents of the unpleasant sorts, are caused by somebody being impatient!  Unfortunately, we all get into that mood sometimes, and when I do, and can't shake it, then I simply turn around and go home.  Not a day to be riding, or driving.

couldn't agree more. And I'm certainly guilty of being frustrated at a slower driver and passed (although always legal), my frame of mind wasn't correct.

I'm getting much better as I get older. And moving to the country has helped as I tell myself to slow down, take it easy and enjoy the incredible scenery in my area. Being in a hurry is just getting moved further and further down my list of importance....as it should.

So sorry for the families that were involved in the accident.

Yes, age does play a very large factor in quieting me down also.  It's always bad to have an accident, but quite tragic to have fatalities.

RIP. I also do not take chances when passing. Out here in the open West, you have to remember that "closing speed" with an oncoming vehicle can be pretty high (like 160+ mph). You need adequate runway to make the pass!

I was on Angeles Forest Hwy recently and came up on a slightly slower motorist (cager). A passing lane opened up and I proceeded to pass (rode was curving to the left, a blind curve. While passing, another cager crossed the dbl yellow and attempted to pass me, while I'm passing the guy on my right. Quick thinking had me apply brakes and pull over to right as quickly as possible. Just imagine if a car had emerged towards us on that blind corner! Unbelievable.