IGNORED

Fly 'n ride for 2020 Un

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

For those who've been there...

If you were to ride from Ogden (SL) to Mendocino, what route(s) do you suggest?

We may try to combine a family visit in Ogden with the 2020 UN and Google map of I80 across northern NV doesn't look encouraging.

TIA

Bill_Walker
17 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

If we attend 202 UN  we'd fly in and rent a ride.

I haven't used them, but I've also heard good things about renting bikes from Dubbelju (https://www.dubbelju.com) in San Francisco.  And there's an Eagle Rider location just a bit south of San Francisco that rents BMWs.  I looked into renting a bike there on a recent trip to help my daughter with moving there, but ended up renting a U-Haul and bringing my bike instead.

Bill_Walker
2 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

I80 across northern NV doesn't look encouraging.

There's no great way across NV.  Even in May, it can be very hot.  If you dip south and take 6, you can (if you like) go 90 mph for hours at a time (DAMHIK), and then you'll end up lined up to take 120 through Yosemite, or go north on 395 and bag passes on 108, 4 or 88. 120, 108, 4 and 88 are all great rides, although I'd rank 88 lowest of the four.  The first time I rode 108, I pronounced it the twistiest road I'd been on that had a center stripe.  There's a section of 4 that doesn't even have a center stripe.  Either way, don't miss the little section of 120 between Benton, on 6, and 395.  It's a roller coaster ride.  Possible route: https://goo.gl/maps/tezh7CDSBCwmraAP6

Riding across 6 (or 50) is like this: go straight on a two lane road for an hour across a huge valley, then go through a handful of turns to cross a ridge, then go straight again.  Repeat several times.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SANTA said:

Tewks ;  when (what month) were they thinking for 2020

Good question, I don't think that was mentioned in the announcement. :dontknow:

9 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Good question, I don't think that was mentioned in the announcement. :dontknow:

Most Un’s have been in summer months - and I thought @Whip mentioned it would likely be in late June again next year.   The 2003 Un was, however in October😄

• Like 2
roadscholar
3 hours ago, Calvin (no socks) said:

I'm looking forward to US 50 already! 

The last time I rode across Nevada on US50 (2001) we were doing 95 and getting passed by mini-vans with kids waving out the back windows : )  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I thought the conclusion was third week of June, so as not to conflict with the MOA National Rally?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, marcopolo said:

I thought the conclusion was third week of June, so as not to conflict with the MOA National Rally?

We were pretty set for June 15-19 with a venue in Ft Bragg, but due to father's day on the 21st there is now consideration of going to late July.   I am resisting because of crowds, higher costs, wildfire danger, inland heat (bad enough in June), etc.

John, what we did from SLC when we had time was head north through or near Yellowstone, then Lolo Pass to Hells Canyon, and into the Cascades from there.  You can continue into the Sierras or cut over to the coast at many points, and lots to do and see and ride.  I would be happy to work with you on details if you give me a time budget, road type preferences and interests.  From Ogden, you can run Ogden Canyon and have a beautiful ride to Yellowstone.  Also, again time depending, you could overnight in Red Lodge to pick up the Chief Joseph and Beartooth hwys, if you like.  4-5 days would make a nice ride.  

Last time we went to the Mt Rushmore Un we went up through BC, and I highly recommend that too, but you would need more like a week+.  That would include Yellowstone, Glacier, Icefields Parkway and then west through the lake country.

I won't recommend dropping down to US 50 due to the summer crossing of the NV desert, however, we have done it, and the Sierra passes mentioned are very fine.  

The locations we are considering are all about 3-4 hours north of San Francisco, so you would have a considerable ride through the hot central valley and up the coast if you did that sort of thing.  I have a decent route that avoids the major cities, and will be happy to provide it if you go that way.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 7/9/2019 at 8:13 AM, Bill_Walker said:

There's no great way across NV.  Even in May, it can be very hot.  If you dip south and take 6, you can (if you like) go 90 mph for hours at a time (DAMHIK), and then you'll end up lined up to take 120 through Yosemite, or go north on 395 and bag passes on 108, 4 or 88. 120, 108, 4 and 88 are all great rides, although I'd rank 88 lowest of the four.  The first time I rode 108, I pronounced it the twistiest road I'd been on that had a center stripe.  There's a section of 4 that doesn't even have a center stripe.  Either way, don't miss the little section of 120 between Benton, on 6, and 395.  It's a roller coaster ride.  Possible route: https://goo.gl/maps/tezh7CDSBCwmraAP6

Riding across 6 (or 50) is like this: go straight on a two lane road for an hour across a huge valley, then go through a handful of turns to cross a ridge, then go straight again.  Repeat several times.

If you do go on 50, take NV-722 at Austin and it will take you through a nice canyon run before dropping you back on 50.  Some relief at least.

• Like 2
Dennis Andress
11 hours ago, Twisties said:

If you do go on 50, take NV-722 at Austin and it will take you through a nice canyon run before dropping you back on 50.  Some relief at least.

Master of understatement...

image.thumb.jpeg.d19cea7c9947761cd6f81c43808e30da.jpeg

Also, John, there was an Eaglerider in SLC.  They had RT's at one time, but did not when we moved in 2012.  I rented from them for my test ride before buying my RT.  They were fine to work with at that time in 2007.

Ugh....that area is beautiful.  I used to ride that area a lot when we lived in N.Cal.....but from Houston....too far.  Will watch for a future Un (now that I'm retired) a little closer.  4200 miles round trip to Ft Bragg via the fastest route.  See below...My arse can't take 62 hours of saddle time before any riding

31 h (2,088 miles)

via I-10 W

Thanks for the update, Jan. Late July would make it a no-go for me, for a number of reasons. 

**   Chris   **
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

Ugh....that area is beautiful.  I used to ride that area a lot when we lived in N.Cal.....but from Houston....too far.  Will watch for a future Un (now that I'm retired) a little closer.  4200 miles round trip to Ft Bragg via the fastest route.  See below...My arse can't take 62 hours of saddle time before any riding

31 h (2,088 miles)

via I-10 W

Break it up into several shorter rides.  You did say you were retired didn't you?

2 hours ago, Skywagon said:

31 h (2,088 miles)

via I-10 W

Well, consider fly n rides, fly and drive, or other options.  As Chris says, don't go the short way.  Maybe head up into the Rockies, play, ride, ride, play.... play... ride...  

**   Chris   **
2 hours ago, Twisties said:

Well, consider fly n rides, fly and drive, or other options.  As Chris says, don't go the short way.  Maybe head up into the Rockies, play, ride, ride, play.... play... ride...  

Wait, did Jan just say follow my advice?!?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
On 7/11/2019 at 7:00 PM, Twisties said:

We were pretty set for June 15-19 with a venue in Ft Bragg

One of the very nice features of the 18 UN at Mt. Rushmore was the adjoining campground. We’d appreciate something similar in CA, or at least a nearby campground. 

6 hours ago, Ken S said:

One of the very nice features of the 18 UN at Mt. Rushmore was the adjoining campground. We’d appreciate something similar in CA, or at least a nearby campground. 

With the venue we are negotiating in Ft. Bragg, camping was part of our discussion.  They do not have hookups, but I think have agreed to allow RVers to park there for a reasonable fee.  I need to confirm.  As well, there is an actual campground within 1/2 mile.  They probably have room for 4-5 units to park.  How do you feel about the dates:  June 15- 19, or late July.

Maybe it should just be moved to Brookings and @Twisties back yard and have Superfly supply the food and vodka. :clap:  They make a good tomato soup/grilled cheese combo lunch. :18:

• Like 1
On 7/13/2019 at 11:09 AM, Twisties said:

How do you feel about the dates:  June 15- 19, or late July.

Sounds good.  I agree that June would be preferable.  Thanks

**   Chris   **
16 hours ago, Marty Hill said:

Works for me.  I'd only have to ride 50 miles from my son's place.:18:

You could break it up into a couple days if you have to...

• Like 1
**   Chris   **
5 hours ago, Marty Hill said:

Chris, not sure I could do 2 long days in a row.

I know the feeling.  The ride home from NY took it out of me!

**   Chris   **
1 hour ago, Marty Hill said:

Chris, I was being s smart ass.  :4607:

So was I!

Although I wasn't entirely kidding about dragging a little after the ride home from NY.   

On 7/13/2019 at 12:09 PM, Twisties said:

With the venue we are negotiating in Ft. Bragg, camping was part of our discussion.  They do not have hookups, but I think have agreed to allow RVers to park there for a reasonable fee.  I need to confirm.  As well, there is an actual campground within 1/2 mile.  They probably have room for 4-5 units to park.  How do you feel about the dates:  June 15- 19, or late July.

Jan, whatever.... any and all is good.  The June time might be cooler temp wise, even though it rained In Moscow at that time.  In Calif maybe not so much? 

Qu:  Any walk to food places? or is there  a place on site? 

With respect to the Ft Bragg potential venue, immediately adjacent is a McDonald's.  Within a short walk are a specialty market, a cafe, a bbq, and a thing with a nightclub on one side and a restaurant on the other.  It's a little over a mile walk on flat ground with sidewalks to the center of Ft Bragg with all that is there.  

I'll be 84 prior to the get-together.  If anyone needs help walking to the restaurants let me know.:4323:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Marty Hill said:

I'll be 84 prior to the get-together.  If anyone needs help walking to the restaurants let me know.:4323:

And if anyone needs help keeping up with Marty Hill while walking to the restaurant, bring a skateboard  :grin:

• Like 1