IGNORED

LED pods "AND" light bar?

MBrockman5

MBrockman5

My 07 RT currently has 2 LED pods lights mounted to the crash bars wired to a switch. After seeing that the previous owner didn't really do a very good job, I'm planning on rewiring the pods with completely new (2 conductor) wire and a better toggle.

I bought an LED light bar for my fishing boat, but realized that it fits perfectly between the tupperware underneath my radiator. 

Would it be ok to wire the light bar along with my pods, or would it be too much draw on the system and overload it?

If it can, should I use a separate switch from the pods, or can I use the existing switch for all 3 lights? 

Screenshot_20190707-095147_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20190707-095128_Photos.jpg

17 minutes ago, MBrockman5 said:

My 07 RT currently has 2 LED pods lights mounted to the crash bars wired to a switch. After seeing that the previous owner didn't really do a very good job, I'm planning on rewiring the pods with completely new (2 conductor) wire and a better toggle.

I bought an LED light bar for my fishing boat, but realized that it fits perfectly between the tupperware underneath my radiator. 

Would it be ok to wire the light bar along with my pods, or would it be too much draw on the system and overload it?

If it can, should I use a separate switch from the pods, or can I use the existing switch for all 3 lights? 

Afternoon MBrockman5

That looks like real good way to have front fender contact/damage when stopping hard or hitting a big bump, even small lights mounted there can contact the fender under suspension compression.

LED's don't usually draw much current so adding to the pods probably won't cause any issues.  

• Like 1

I would also consider how much glare those lights would put out.  Lighting the road up ahead like it's daylight is great, till you are the guy coming in the other direction and loose all you night vision.  I think those lights are used mostly in off road situations where there is no oncoming traffic.

MBrockman5

Dirtrider, that's a good point. I didn't think of it coming in contact with the front fender. Granted, the light bar was just resting in that location for the picture. My initial thought was to mount it to a bracket from up underneath. I'll do some more mock-ups at different spots and see what I can come up with. 

EvilTwin, I get your point about glare. I was thinking about using a separate/additional switch and using it on the back roads during night time rides where there's minimal traffic, if any. I commute down to San Francisco for school and during the day time, and anything that makes me more visible in that traffic is better in my opinion. 

Does that make sense? This is my first BMW bike, and this thing sounds like a [High quality] sewing machine. My last bike was a 95 Honda Magna with 4 Cobra pipes. People in traffic always heard me coming long before I got to them. To paraphrase, I believe "loud bikes save lives", but "loud" doesn't always have to mean "Sound/Volume"... 

Ya, that's gonna contact the fender quite easily.

I wanted to mount my Contour camera dead center in that spot, drilled a hole, mounted it and just normal stopping the camera would make contact.  That light looks like it hangs a bit lower than the camera I had mounted.