IGNORED

Taking free play out of throttle

RoSPA_man

Hi

I have too much free play in my throttle.

I'm confused that there are 2 cables emanating from the throttle (is one to do with Cruise control?).

I'm not near the bike right now. Can I just adjust one (if so which one!) or is there some more complex way to do it where both cables need to be dealt with?

I could do a tear-down and follow the cables to establish their use, but time is short as I am off on a multi-day trip tomorrow - many thanks

Hugh  

3 hours ago, RoSPA_man said:

Hi

I have too much free play in my throttle.

I'm confused that there are 2 cables emanating from the throttle (is one to do with Cruise control?).

I'm not near the bike right now. Can I just adjust one (if so which one!) or is there some more complex way to do it where both cables need to be dealt with?

I could do a tear-down and follow the cables to establish their use, but time is short as I am off on a multi-day trip tomorrow - many thanks

Hugh  

Morning Hugh

The return cable is for the cruise control (both as a 'roll-the-twist-grip-all-the-way-forward' to cancel cruise & as a secondary safety in case of failure of cruise to cancel, or sticking throttle).

There is a very long winded adjustment procedure in the BMW manual but if done per the book that sill leaves too much twist grip free-play for most riders.

If you are just removing some twist grip free-play & otherwise everything else works OK then simply adjust both pull & return cables about the same until you get less twist grip free-play.

Mark both adjuster barrels for original position, then back off locking rings slightly, then turn both adjuster barrels to lengthen outer cable housing (turn both adjuster barrels counter-clockwise as referenced with twist grip end up) about 1/4 turn then see what you have. If still too much free play then adjust each adjuster barrel another 1/4 or 1/8 turn each until you get what you need. Then tighten the lock rings.  

Don't adjust the free-play too tight or you will end up with a sticky feeling throttle.