IGNORED

Smaller tank bag options for 05-09 R12RT

EvilTwin

My wish list for this bike keeps growing.  It came with the BMW tank bag, but that bag is a bit large for my liking and has the yellowed clear plastic as well.  I have it listed in the classified section but if it doesnt sell, I may keep it as is for use on trips or possibly mod it like Large-Stache did in his excellent thread.   https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/91797-cortech-tankbag-to-bmw-mount/?tab=comments#comment-1019690

So I've been scouring the web trying to see what smaller bags would look like and fit on this bike.  I've seen a few that I like, specifically the smaller SW Motech an Givi bags that use their proprietary locking ring to attach to the tank filler.  Since this bike has the rack, that ring probably needs to be raised up some to compensate.  What I would love to see are any pics of folks that have fitted one of these bags on the same vintage bike.   That would make it easier to decide on which one since there are not too many shops locally that sell them by me.  

Here is what my current bag looks like:

IMG_20190703_162520831.jpg

42 minutes ago, EvilTwin said:

My wish list for this bike keeps growing.  It came with the BMW tank bag, but that bag is a bit large for my liking and has the yellowed clear plastic as well.  I have it listed in the classified section but if it doesnt sell, I may keep it as is for use on trips or possibly mod it like Large-Stache did in his excellent thread.   https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/91797-cortech-tankbag-to-bmw-mount/?tab=comments#comment-1019690

So I've been scouring the web trying to see what smaller bags would look like and fit on this bike.  I've seen a few that I like, specifically the smaller SW Motech an Givi bags that use their proprietary locking ring to attach to the tank filler.  Since this bike has the rack, that ring probably needs to be raised up some to compensate.  What I would love to see are any pics of folks that have fitted one of these bags on the same vintage bike.   That would make it easier to decide on which one since there are not too many shops locally that sell them by me.  

Here is what my current bag looks like:

Afternoon EvilTwin

One of the best ways to mount a smaller tank bag is to remove that old bag that you have & use the BMW mounting plate that it is attached to. (or buy another old BMW tank bag from E-Bay then remove & use the mounting plate from that)

I can't give you a brand or model tank bag that  will work  on your 1200RT but can say with confidence that very few if any will clear your horn button or power windshield button at full left lock.  

I wanted a smaller tank bag for my 1200RT so designed one then sent the design to Mark at Big Mack to make one (he ended up making a few more for sale before he quit making tank bags). The bag is a direct fit to bolt on to the factory BMW base plate. It also fully clears all the handlebar controls. Just about a perfect day-bag size for everyday usage.

The one thing that I can caution you on is take your bike when looking for a smaller tank bag, I can't even come close to remembering the number of tank bags that I thought for sure would fit OK but once set on the bike would hit the horn button or windshield switch at full left lock. (just look at the deep indented sides on your factory bag to see the interference areas)

If you want to see the Big Mack tank bag on a BMW 1200RT then look at my mirror post in your other thread.   (linked to below)

249464402_K1200RSmirror_GPS.JPG.f3255c5e

• Like 1

I just bought an ‘07 RT, too.  It too far away from you, @EvilTwin. @Indy Dave sold me a base plate and I used it to attach a (no longer available) Touratech flat tank bag. It’s pretty much perfect (if a bit tired looking).

I followed @large-stache‘s DIY as well. I suspect there are a number of other bags you could use. 

2BA5C24F-236E-4835-BDE1-B7FD7F5F90D8.jpeg

• Like 2

I'm leaning to one of the SW Motech EVO bags.  Revzilla doesnt list a tank ring adapter for the 09, but does list for later models.  As far as I know, the BMW tank ring is the same across the board, is it because the rack for the OEM tank bag would get in the way?  If that is the case, I can always work around that with some creative use of aluminum or plastic.  

Right now its a toss up between the Micro which is not in stock or the day pack.  I may just keep the OEM tank bag for longer trips where I would need the space.

We use small ones from SW-Motech, with their ring mount.  The exact model we use is no longer made.  They are both 12 years old now, and still working fine.  Fabric color is starting to fade some.

42 minutes ago, EvilTwin said:

I'm leaning to one of the SW Motech EVO bags.  Revzilla doesnt list a tank ring adapter for the 09, but does list for later models.  As far as I know, the BMW tank ring is the same across the board, is it because the rack for the OEM tank bag would get in the way?  If that is the case, I can always work around that with some creative use of aluminum or plastic.  

Right now its a toss up between the Micro which is not in stock or the day pack.  I may just keep the OEM tank bag for longer trips where I would need the space.

Afternoon  EvilTwin

I you put a ring on the filler neck than I doubt that the stock tank bag plate will still fit as it is real close to the fuel fill cap  even without a ring on top.

The other thing to pay attention to is that the 2009 1200RT has a filler cap with a center protrusion on it so if you add a raised ring that prevents the filler cap from FULLY opening then I doubt you will get a fuel pump nozzle into the filler neck.

Been there before!

Congrats on having it back together! I doubt she'll come apart....

I went ahead and ordered the SW Motech Evo Micro bag and the tank adapter from Revzilla.  I dont need a large bag, if I do down the road, I'll order a second and swap them as needed.

Since the RT comes with the rails, they dont list an adapter for this model, but checking parts, the K1300 uses the same fuel filler, so I Iooked up that model and ordered the Type 126.   I'm sure I will have to fabricate something to get the adapter higher than the rails and source some longer screws, but I dont see where it will interfere with the cap opening up or the nozzle fitting in.  Should all be in Tuesday, so I'll know better then.

swmotech_evo_micro_tank_bag255_l_for_evo

Tank bag came in a few days ago, but we just got back from camping.  So of course I had to play with it a bit, even with this stifling heat the east coast is under right now.  

I cut 2 plastic spacers in half and sanded the cut edge a bit and was able to use the longer of the two sets of screws supplied to mount the ring.  That allowed the ring to stand proud of the side rails.  I checked operation of the fuel filler and no interference issues there.

pSACFJf.jpg

The bags mechanical base snaps to the ring for and aft. 

fuTYGeQ.jpg

I still haven't attached the bag to the base yet, I will do that tomorrow when I pull it out of the garage and can check the swing of the handlebars to see if they hit it on either side.

Sitting forward:

XhdyF5d.jpg

Sitting Aft:

x2jIV1a.jpg

This is the smallest bag they make in this line.  It's even smaller on the inside since the mount intrudes on the space.  But it is enough for what I want it for and I think it suits the bike.  I may get a larger one if I ever decide to go on a longer trip, but for now this does the trick.

Looks great. I went with SW-Motech also. A tad bigger than yours but just for cellphone, wallet, pen/small ruled tablet for fuel log, and sunscreen. Works for me. 

Mounted the bag to the mounting base this morning.  Turns out it didn't matter much where I positioned it since it's narrow enough that the bars don't hit it on either side.  Sturdy when it's snapped on, holds my phone, earplugs and the door remote.  Plenty of room for some gloves or "stuff".

• 1 month later...