IGNORED

Carlin Dunne died on the Pikes Peak Hill Climb Accident

hopz

Two days ago the well known Ducati Team rider Carlin Dunne died in a crash in the Pikes Peak Hill Climb at the finish line. He lost control and went off the cliff into a pile of bolders. 

The Colorado Springs Gazette said in an article about it said that the Hill Climb Committee had "investigated" and that the bike did not have any malfunctions, but that he probably high-sided a few yards from the finish line where was running on a record breaking time. Yeah right... 

What they failed to mention was that the bump in the track that so many drivers and riders had mentioned previously was right where they said he high-sided. He probably did high-side but it seems odd that a world-famous Ducati Factory rider would do that on a straight final, ridding to the finish line...

RIP Carlin, but I hope someone takes a better look at the situation. There were only, maybe 100 cameras on hm at the time. Truth will come out....

This story is not over yet....

• 2 weeks later...

The latest word from my friends that were at the memorial in the San Barbara mountains a week ago Sunday (July 7) is that Carlin "didn't hit the bump he just had a Hugh High side at race speed" that was that. Still very sad for sure. Jim in Ojai ca

The "Bump" is exactly where the high-side occurred... but you still must wonder why the cameras were confiscated... just sayn'   and the thorough investigation, (by the committee who runs the race) was initiated and finished in a matter of minutes... and basically said it was not their fault.

Still seems fishy to me.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Whip said:

I heard they have now canceled the motorcycle part of the event?

Cancelled for 2020, no decision for motorcycle racing beyond that. 

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/07/28/pikes-peak-motorcycles-canceled-2020/

The race is held on a public road, not a race track. Limited guard rails, steep drop-offs, no run off areas in the curves. It wasn't even completely paved until 2012.  Even race tracks have bumps, it's just another factor that every racer needs to deal with.  Dunne was familiar with the road, having won there four times, and obviously accepted the risks he was taking.  I've read no suggestions of wrongdoing on the part of the organizers or anyone else, except here. Failure to gather all available information (videos) ASAP would probably have been seen as irresponsible. 

When you take big risks,  you often pay a big price.  There is no need to invent a cover-up or conspiracy to explain a racing death.

• Like 3

Ikarus, your comments are accurate and follow the published line.  Except living here in Colorado Springs, following the race live, and noticing the almost instant announcement that the accident was not their fault, and confiscation of the cameras from legitimate professional photographers by the committee that runs the thing... made me bit suspicious. Their immediate conclusion was that his high-side caused the problem was also a bit convenient. Sure there were and are bumps and Carlin was one of the most experienced riders in the circuit... High Side... certainly, yes, but why? Going on an almost perfectly straight part of the course- 20 yards from the finish line?

I was only reacting to the things that happened live in my back yard that day. We will never know.