IGNORED

Clutch Basket?

GordonB

While hard to diagnose over internet, I thought I'd put it out there. 67,000 miles on my 2012RT. I recently noticed (more so on first start up), the clutch area is making a loose/rattling noise (kinda like the Ducati in neutral) It only occurs while in neutral. Pull the clutch lever in and it goes away. Symptom not as prevalent with a warmed engine but does exist. No shift issues no slippage. Clutch fluid changed out 6K ago. Fluid level okay, not full to top but slightly less. Someone suggested clutch basket and weakening springs?

24 minutes ago, GordonB said:

While hard to diagnose over internet, I thought I'd put it out there. 67,000 miles on my 2012RT. I recently noticed (more so on first start up), the clutch area is making a loose/rattling noise (kinda like the Ducati in neutral) It only occurs while in neutral. Pull the clutch lever in and it goes away. Symptom not as prevalent with a warmed engine but does exist. No shift issues no slippage. Clutch fluid changed out 6K ago. Fluid level okay, not full to top but slightly less. Someone suggested clutch basket and weakening springs?

Afternoon GordonB

Not much to go on but it just might  be a normal neutral gear rattle (does it go away when you raise the engine RPM's slightly?)

Your 2012 1200RT  bike doesn't have a clutch basket.

The clutch parts on the 2012  can rattle but usually not with the clutch engaged as with clutch engaged all the clutch parts are spring loaded tight.

Happy Fourth!, I started bike cold (no ear plugs) startling loud and rattling could feel the vibrations up the handle bars. Rise with slight increase in RPMs in Neutral.  Up on center stand dropped into first and still prevalent. Pull in clutch all is gone. Do not feel vibrations when on the ground and moving forward in first. 50-75% less once bike is warmed up. This was a night and day change not a gradual build up. Three  350 mile days allowing bike to warm up while getting gear on (42F) each morning, then day four it all started.

10 minutes ago, GordonB said:

Happy Fourth!, I started bike cold (no ear plugs) startling loud and rattling could feel the vibrations up the handle bars. Rise with slight increase in RPMs in Neutral.  Up on center stand dropped into first and still prevalent. Pull in clutch all is gone. Do not feel vibrations when on the ground and moving forward in first. 50-75% less once bike is warmed up. This was a night and day change not a gradual build up. Three  350 mile days allowing bike to warm up while getting gear on (42F) each morning, then day four it all started.

Evening GordonB

This does sound more serious than just common neutral gear rattle.

With noise going away with clutch dis-engaged it most likely is from clutch pack or transmission area. 

The sudden appearance does make it sound more serious. 

Can you feel anything in the clutch lever with it very slightly pulled in? (not disengaging clutch but just a little lever pressure)

Without hearing or experiencing the noise it is extremely difficult to tell you much over the internet.

My suggestion is to ride by your BMW dealer & have them take a listen..

Thx, trip to dealer today or tomorrow. No sensation in clutch lever and friction zone in normal range.