IGNORED

RT Speedometer question

TEWKS

Now when the radio is off you have a digital display of your speed on the dash. As of last week I have an RT symbol. I believe this has happened before but forget how to get the speedo back. Any suggestions?

alegerlotz

There is a menu item called User or Vehicle.  You can choose blank, logo, or speed for that area.  Sorry, I have a meeting in a couple of minutes or I'd go down to my bike to get more specifics.  Keep scrollin', you'll find it.

Thank you guys, that was it! :thumbsup: I have no idea how I would have bumped it out of its setting :dontknow: but back to normal now! :wave:

6 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Now when the radio is off ...

1 hour ago, 92Merc said:

My wife's magically turned off by itself one day.  

Maybe that's why they call it FM?

I recently had some odd resets on my instruments. For example - Trip 1 became the favourite when I had set it to tyre pressure, & RT symbol replaced digital speed with radio off.

This coincided with my 4 year old OEM battery showing signs it was thinking of dying or me disconnecting the battery to replace it.

How old is your battery?

Ian

Very well could be, my battery is the original. It has been on a Tender when parked since new, if that means anything. No signs of not starting the bike. :dontknow:

realshelby

For those that have a few years on the battery...

Mine started the bike every time with zero sign of impending doom. Never the display resetting or relay clicking of any kind. Then went to start it at a motel in Santa Rosa New Mexico early one cold morning after riding 800 miles the day before...and it would not even light up the display!

As I look back on it, and after replacing the battery, there was a sign. Cranking speed. While it seemed ok for the previous year, I can now say it wasn't. The new battery (s) both cranked it noticeably faster than it had been cranking. The first replacement was an "emergency fit" unit that was much smaller so no advantage in cranking amps there. I think a test would be to hook up a high output battery charger and start the bike to see if there is a substantial gain in cranking speed over what it does without it. Not scientific, and likely not Dirtrider approved, but would alert one to the battery dropping off. 

• Like 1

One gets used to the sound and over time will not really notice that the cranking speed has diminished until a fresh battery is installed (or a side-by-side bike comparison.)

• Like 1

Just ordered a new battery yesterday!  Will be here next Tuesday, and it will go in right away!  :)  Yuasa GYZ16H for all of $84.

Electrical power and tires are the 2 things that I am a little paranoid about, and so I carry a Li-ion battery "jump-starter" as part of my emergency kit.  It's small enough, and has an added benefit of being able to charge up any of my portable electronics via USB.  My dash display is always on TPM, and that helps to assure me that everything is OK!

22 hours ago, bdfbeemer said:

Where did you get the battery?

Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/YUASA-GYZ16H-FACTORY-ACTIVATED-MAINTENANCE-FREE/129243723

The battery is in the bike now, and I have a couple of notes.  First, this battery is not as tall as the stock Exide battery.  Width and length is the same.  It is shorter in height by about an inch, but that is quite OK, everything fits in place, and the new battery is held in place quite securely.  Second note is that the battery terminals are "hollow", and the connections to the battery has to be made with the screws and nuts, supplied.  Not much room, actually no room to get a finger in there to hold the nut up in order for the screw to reach it!  So, the trick is to get a strip of paper and fold it up relatively loosely to make a thick springy "shim" and use that to hold the nut in place, inside the terminal.  Works like a charm

• 3 weeks later...

So a question on the original topic...on my 17 RT, I prefer to have the digital speedo displayed at all times. When the radio is on, the speedo goes away. Is there a way to keep the digital speedo on all the time?

thanks!

15 minutes ago, Bradysdad said:

So a question on the original topic...on my 17 RT, I prefer to have the digital speedo displayed at all times. When the radio is on, the speedo goes away. Is there a way to keep the digital speedo on all the time?

thanks!

No.

6 hours ago, PadG said:

No.

Don't want to sound like a know it all because my forgetfulness started this topic. But you are correct.

Now FWIW, and it's not quite the same as the big numbers but if you go into the menu where you can set either the TPM, date and a few other bits of info there is an average speed selection. I believe this will display your speed in a digital format. Now again, not as nice as the big numbers but it's something. :dontknow:

I haven't tried what you suggested Pat, but that's the average speed, and the digital display is quite tiny!  On top of that, the few times that I had looked at the output of that field, it seems to have been waaaaayyy low!  ;)

I usually look at the speed readout on my Nav V over anything else, including the RT's actual speedometer.  The Nav V is more inline with my line-of-sight, and is very much more accurate.  Just my riding style!

• Like 2