MBrockman5

DIY Reflective Top Case lid?

MBrockman5

I was thinking about making just the lid of my top case reflective for better night time visibility and was just curious if anyone has thought about, or have done this at all. 

I found some "Reflective Spray Paint" online and saw that the "Permanent" stuff is the same color at the BMW 49L top case lid. It's apparently a metallic silver color in the daylight, but super reflective at night. 

I, personally, would prefer a reflective spray paint rather than stickers that will eventually peel/discolor over time. 

Screenshot_20190702-181013_Chrome.jpg

dirtrider
9 hours ago, MBrockman5 said:

I was thinking about making just the lid of my top case reflective for better night time visibility and was just curious if anyone has thought about, or have done this at all. 

I found some "Reflective Spray Paint" online and saw that the "Permanent" stuff is the same color at the BMW 49L top case lid. It's apparently a metallic silver color in the daylight, but super reflective at night. 

I, personally, would prefer a reflective spray paint rather than stickers that will eventually peel/discolor over time

Morning MBrockman5

What assurance do you have that the reflective paint won't peel/discolor/or lose it's reflective ability over time?

Unless that reflective paint has special (expensive) UV protection additives then it will also fade over time.  

MBrockman5

I figure that if I get it all prepped properly and throw some quality clear coat on it, that should mitigate, or at least help with any degradation down the road. 

Tri750

My 3M reflective stickers have been on since 2005 and are hanging in there fine. 

MBrockman5

I've thought about the Reflective 3M stickers. I just like the idea of a "bigger reflective object" like the Top Case lid... Especially in low lit areas.

For example, when I am driving back home from San Francisco, some of roads I take are dark, unlit back roads with alot of twists and turns/blind corners (County Rd 14 near Zamora between I-505 & I-5. It's a fun little road😁). If I were to break down and a car came barreling around a turn, then a big bright reflective object could be a life saver.