IGNORED

DIY Reflective Top Case lid?

MBrockman5

MBrockman5

I was thinking about making just the lid of my top case reflective for better night time visibility and was just curious if anyone has thought about, or have done this at all. 

I found some "Reflective Spray Paint" online and saw that the "Permanent" stuff is the same color at the BMW 49L top case lid. It's apparently a metallic silver color in the daylight, but super reflective at night. 

I, personally, would prefer a reflective spray paint rather than stickers that will eventually peel/discolor over time. 

Screenshot_20190702-181013_Chrome.jpg

9 hours ago, MBrockman5 said:

I was thinking about making just the lid of my top case reflective for better night time visibility and was just curious if anyone has thought about, or have done this at all. 

I found some "Reflective Spray Paint" online and saw that the "Permanent" stuff is the same color at the BMW 49L top case lid. It's apparently a metallic silver color in the daylight, but super reflective at night. 

I, personally, would prefer a reflective spray paint rather than stickers that will eventually peel/discolor over time

Morning MBrockman5

What assurance do you have that the reflective paint won't peel/discolor/or lose it's reflective ability over time?

Unless that reflective paint has special (expensive) UV protection additives then it will also fade over time.  

MBrockman5

I figure that if I get it all prepped properly and throw some quality clear coat on it, that should mitigate, or at least help with any degradation down the road. 

I've thought about the Reflective 3M stickers. I just like the idea of a "bigger reflective object" like the Top Case lid... Especially in low lit areas.

For example, when I am driving back home from San Francisco, some of roads I take are dark, unlit back roads with alot of twists and turns/blind corners (County Rd 14 near Zamora between I-505 & I-5. It's a fun little road😁). If I were to break down and a car came barreling around a turn, then a big bright reflective object could be a life saver. 

Know that you put it that way.... I'd spray the whole bike. Sounds like a cool product. If and when you do it, take some pics for us to see.

On 7/17/2019 at 10:49 PM, MBrockman5 said:

For example, when I am driving back home from San Francisco, some of roads I take are dark, unlit back roads with alot of twists and turns/blind corners (County Rd 14 near Zamora between I-505 & I-5. It's a fun little road😁). If I were to break down and a car came barreling around a turn, then a big bright reflective object could be a life saver. 

My one hour one way daily commute is like that and the stickers on the rear of my top case and rear of the side cases are holding quite strong.  A riding buddy said after following me one night that my whole rear end is lit up.  These have been on the bike since I bought it in 2010 and likely been on the bike since new in 2006 from the previous owner.  Additionally, I know these are solid stickers 'cause I'm an all weather all year rider and during the work day, the bike is out in whatever storm happens to be flying by.

In my experience, reflective tape is more durable than paint. Another thing to consider is to make a safety triangle out of red reflective tape on the inside of the top case lid. If you have to make a roadside stop at night, this provides a highly visible safety warning, without taking up any space inside the case.

1321841517_IMG_20190723_204136932-Edited.thumb.jpg.803d7cda430d2871630e4d6ccec7c210.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I had the 3M tape on my 09. Pre-prep as in painting is crucial. I cleaned and prepped with isopropyl alcohol and 9 years later it was just fine. New owner has had no problems either.