IGNORED

Mix and Match Shocks

Foot

I just bought a Works front shock for my 96 R1100RT from Russell Bynum (Thanks for the great deal Russell).

I am wondering is it OK to go with another brand of rear shock ie: Wilber, Olins or should I stick with the Works rear shock?

WIll it make a difference not having the same brand shocks all the way around.

Alan

Your bike doesn't care what name is on the shocks. It only responds to spring and damping rates. If two shocks from two manufacturers provide complimentary spring and damping rates, then likely they'll work. If they don't, while possibly still an improvement over stock, they won't give you the maximum benefits. Unless you're particularly adept at suspension tuning, it's probable that you won't be able to tell this without a suspension dyno.

Alternatively, you do know that the front and rear aftermarket shocks from any given manufacturer are designed to work together. Were I in your shoes, I'd send the shock in for rebuild (unless it's been done recently) and purchase the matching rear shock.

Fernando

Russell said the shock had 5k on the rebuild and it should be good for 15-20k before another rebuild. I will probably go with the Works matching shock, but was just asking what would happen if I used another brand.

Alan

Archived