Jump to content
Dann

Intermittent clutch dual switch issue

Recommended Posts

Dann

My clutch dual switch is acting funny

Sometimes it works and sometimes not

Starting the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in works randomly.

Same thing with the cruise control which doesn't always engage.

When this happens, shifting gears a few times corrects the problem.

It looks to me like the clutch lever doesn't always make contact with the dual switch.

I find that there is vertical play in the lever which doesn't affect shifting gears.

It took the cover of the switch off and everything seemed normal.

Is there a way to tighten the lever and remove this vertical play?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dirtrider
13 minutes ago, Dann said:

My clutch dual switch is acting funny

Sometimes it works and sometimes not

Starting the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in works randomly.

Same thing with the cruise control which doesn't always engage.

When this happens, shifting gears a few times corrects the problem.

It looks to me like the clutch lever doesn't always make contact with the dual switch.

I find that there is vertical play in the lever which doesn't affect shifting gears.

It took the cover of the switch off and everything seemed normal.

Is there a way to tighten the lever and remove this vertical play?

 

Afternoon Dann

 

Some of those 1200 clutch levers can be sort of loose in the vertical direction but it usually doesn't effect the micro switch function.  

 

If yours is really loose then you might be able to sneak a very thin shim washer in between the inner lever & the hosing to take the slop out.

 

On  a few of the 1200 bikes I have had to re-bend the micro switch reed (little tin lever on the micro switch) so the switch functions correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dann

Afternoon Dirtrider

Thanks for the info

I'll try to bend the reeds first although they seemed to make contact with the lever when I looked at them. (Could have been one of the good times when it worked)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dann

I opened the dual switch housing today and the switch seems to operate normally.

The bike will not start with the clutch lever pulled in in first gear.

It looks like I have a defective switch.

 

Here's a link to a video of the switch in operation:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zd82wwfbcpzpasu/Clutch dual switch.mp4?dl=0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dirtrider
14 hours ago, Dann said:

I opened the dual switch housing today and the switch seems to operate normally.

The bike will not start with the clutch lever pulled in in first gear.

It looks like I have a defective switch.

 

Here's a link to a video of the switch in operation:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zd82wwfbcpzpasu/Clutch dual switch.mp4?dl=0

 

 

Morning Dann

 

You will probably have to work with it a bit to find the problem. Might be a bad switch, or possibly the switch isn't getting fully activated, or you might have a partially broken wire, or the  computer isn't reacting to the switch input.

 

With both start inhibit & cruise control not working that sort of points to the switch not activating but  difficult to tell over the internet.

 

What happens IF you push the clutch lever forward slightly  when it doesn't start?  Will that allow it to start???????

 

Is the master cylinder piston returning FULL out to it's stop?

 

If the piston is all the way out & there is still  a lot of play/slop in the push rod to it's piston seat then the push rod can be turned  in a little (that will make the lever contact the switch farther) but you REALLY need to know how that master cylinder operates & how the push rod adjustment effects the clutch master cylinder operation or you can really mess up the return port timing so it can then trap pressure in the clutch hydraulics & cause clutch slippage.

 

Caution: that push rod is lock-tited so is very difficulty to break loose & should be re-lock-tited after adjustment is correct.

 

Try to get your adjustment with the switch itself if possible__

 

e1efiDZ.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dann

Evening DR

 

The switch is working again today

I can start the bike in first gear. (I tried a couple of times in a row)

 

Maybe the contact cleaner I used didn't had time to completely evaporate before I tried it yesterday (I put a lot in it.)

 

So far so good. let's hope it lasts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dirtrider
7 minutes ago, Dann said:

Evening DR

 

The switch is working again today

I can start the bike in first gear. (I tried a couple of times in a row)

 

Maybe the contact cleaner I used didn't had time to completely evaporate before I tried it yesterday (I put a lot in it.)

 

So far so good. let's hope it lasts.

 

 

Evening Dann

 

Well, even if that work & spray  only makes it work 100%  for a short time it does help you define WHERE your problem is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dann

Update:

It's a little better but I still never know when the bike will start in first gear or if the Cruise control will engage.

A a few days ago the CC was not working again. After switching it on /off  a few times without using the clutch it suddenly engaged.

It looks like the issue does not necessarely  involve the clutch lever itself.

 

Intermittent problems are always the hardest to pinpoint...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dirtrider
10 hours ago, Dann said:

Update:

It's a little better but I still never know when the bike will start in first gear or if the Cruise control will engage.

A a few days ago the CC was not working again. After switching it on /off  a few times without using the clutch it suddenly engaged.

It looks like the issue does not necessarely  involve the clutch lever itself.

 

Intermittent problems are always the hardest to pinpoint...

 

Morning Dann

 

Difficult to tell much (especially over the internet) but with BOTH the cruise control AND starting-in-gear issue then the common denominator (is) the clutch switch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dann
On 8/23/2019 at 7:10 AM, dirtrider said:

 

Morning Dann

 

Difficult to tell much (especially over the internet) but with BOTH the cruise control AND starting-in-gear issue then the common denominator (is) the clutch switch.

Good evening DR

 

The switch is definitely the problem. I ran a scan with my GS-911 and got an error code on the switch.

I ordered this switch that came off a 2010 RT

 

It looks bit different from mine. Mine has the switch reeds parallel and this one has them opposite. (I don't think it makes a difference)

 

It looks to me like it is a dual switch but I noticed after putting my order that the seller refers to it as a part #61317689700 which is the number for the switch with no cruise control...

Did I order the wrong one or is the seller part # wrong?

Every picture of a single switch (No cruise control) I've seen had only one reed.

 

 

Dual microswitch.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dirtrider

 

18 minutes ago, Dann said:

Good evening DR

 

The switch is definitely the problem. I ran a scan with my GS-911 and got an error code on the switch.

I ordered this switch that came off a 2010 RT

 

It looks bit different from mine. Mine has the switch reeds parallel and this one has them opposite. (I don't think it makes a difference)

 

It looks to me like it is a dual switch but I noticed after putting my order that the seller refers to it as a part #61317689700 which is the number for the switch with no cruise control...

Did I order the wrong one or is the seller part # wrong?

Every picture of a single switch (No cruise control) I've seen had only one reed.

 

 

Dual microswitch.jpg

 

Evening Dan

 

The cruise control bike switch is dual reed with the non cruise being one reed so the switch seems correct for a cruise control bike.

 

I'm not sure about the changed design but as you say that reed direction  shouldn't matter (does the pig tail plug look the same?) 

 

I show P/N  61 31 7 690 700 as the cruise switch for the 2007 1200RT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dann
5 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

 

 

Evening Dan

 

The cruise control bike switch is dual reed with the non cruise being one reed so the switch seems correct for a cruise control bike.

 

I'm not sure about the changed design but as you say that reed direction  shouldn't matter (does the pig tail plug look the same?) 

Evening DR

Thanks for the fast response.

That makes me feel better.

As for the pigtail, I don't know. I'll see when I get it and compare it to the old one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dirtrider
2 minutes ago, Dann said:

Evening DR

Thanks for the fast response.

That makes me feel better.

As for the pigtail, I don't know. I'll see when I get it and compare it to the old one

 

 

Evening Dann

 

Note, the switch number that I posted is slightly different that what you posted.

 

My book shows that the 2010 1200RT does use a different switch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dann
Just now, dirtrider said:

 

 

Evening Dann

 

Note, the switch number that I posted is slightly different that what you posted.

 

My book does show the 2010 1200RT does use a different switch.

Evening DR

The switch #  they mention is different, that's what got me worried. The one they mention refers to the non CC bike

I went to the MAX fiche and saw  also that the 2010 uses a different switch which doesn't look like the one in the picture

It looks like the 2010 switch has a  connector and the gas tank  doesn't need to be removed to replace it on a 2010

The switch I ordered might not even come from a 2010 after all, or maybe one of the early ones.

They might have the bike year wrong also.

 

Aside from the opposite reeds, this one looks exactly like mine

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dirtrider
13 hours ago, Dann said:

Evening DR

The switch #  they mention is different, that's what got me worried. The one they mention refers to the non CC bike

I went to the MAX fiche and saw  also that the 2010 uses a different switch which doesn't look like the one in the picture

It looks like the 2010 switch has a  connector and the gas tank  doesn't need to be removed to replace it on a 2010

The switch I ordered might not even come from a 2010 after all, or maybe one of the early ones.

They might have the bike year wrong also.

 

Aside from the opposite reeds, this one looks exactly like mine

 

 

 

Morning Dann

 

That does seem to be an updated (or late) clutch switch as the original hexhead had parallel switches with pigtail & plug  (see photo) & the 2010 up had crossed switches (at least the ones that I have seen) with no pig tail & built in plug.

 

am7wR3I.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dann

Afternoon DR

Your picture is exactly like the one I have.

The only difference with the one I ordered seems to be the crossed reeds.

I'll post an update when I get it.

The part # should be written on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dann

I replaced the clutch switch today

No issues, everything works fine now

The hardest part was to reinstall the small screw that holds the switch. I had a hard time aligning it with the hole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dirtrider
51 minutes ago, Dann said:

I replaced the clutch switch today

No issues, everything works fine now

The hardest part was to reinstall the small screw that holds the switch. I had a hard time aligning it with the hole.

 

Evening Dan

 

Thanks for the update, if you get a chance maybe you can crack into the old switch then let us know what went wrong with it's internals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dann

The switch started acting up again.

The bike will not start in gear but the CC works fine.:5146:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...