IGNORED

Fuel Light/Sending Unit

beemer2000

The fuel light on my R1100R comes on when there is 2.1 gallons of fuel remaining in the tank or slightly less than half full. Question: Can the sending unit be calibrated? Can this level alarm be adjusted to be more like 1 Gallon remaining? Thanks for any HELP.

In theory yes, one could bend the arm up a little to delay the light. Bit of a PITA to disassembly the tank, bend it, reassemble, try it, repeat if needed. But it would be possible.

Joe Frickin' Friday
In theory yes, one could bend the arm up a little to delay the light. Bit of a PITA to disassembly the tank, bend it, reassemble, try it, repeat if needed. But it would be possible.

Could do partial reassembly (don't bolt anything down or replumb the fuel lines):

1. remove/empty tank.

2. extract sending unit, bend float arm up a bit.

3. install sending unit.

4. set tank on bike, connect electrical.

5. Keep sidestand down so fuel pump won't run.

6. with key on, pour in a gallon of fuel.

7. if low-fuel light goes out when you've just about finished pouring... thumbsup.gif If not, repeat procedure.

Caveats:

-gasoline ain't good for any part of you; eye protection and nitrile gloves are recommended, as is a well-ventilated workspace.

-No smoking, for you or bystanders. You're laughing, I can tell, but a few years ago a friend and I were servicing his fuel tank - gasoline all over our hands and the ground - and his mom came up behind us with a LIT CIGARETTE. eek.gif

-the first quart of fuel in the tank may be just enough to barely reach the pump intake, so you might want to calibrate for something like 1.25 gallons.

Archived