IGNORED

RepROM DVD service manual to non-DVD computer?

CoarsegoldKid

CoarsegoldKid

I have the RepROM DVD for my 2005 R1200RT that I'd like to be able to reference on my new computer without a DVD.  I was wondering if there is a way to use another DVD computer(wifes) to convert the file(s) for transfer to be used on my new computer or put on a thumb drive for use?

Copy directly to thumb drive on your wife’s pc. (No need for any file conversion, I would copy all files of the reprom dvd into a subdirectory [folder] on the flash drive.) 

Hopefully you have usb 3.0 otherwise it’s going to be a long (!) process.  Not sure of size of reprom dvd, make sure your flash drive has enough free space.  

Personally I would also copy the flash drive contents to your new pc hdd (again, create a new folder) as access will be easier and faster than reading from usb.

53 minutes ago, CoarsegoldKid said:

I have the RepROM DVD for my 2005 R1200RT that I'd like to be able to reference on my new computer without a DVD.  I was wondering if there is a way to use another DVD computer(wifes) to convert the file(s) for transfer to be used on my new computer or put on a thumb drive for use?

Afternoon CoarsegoldKid

First make sure that your  computer has enough room on the drive that you intend to install it on.   (size on drive will be around 604MB) -- large file.

Then copy the RepRom disk (everything) to a folder on that drive (name it anything that you want). It could take quite a while to load.

Then open that folder & find the .exc file (probably called RepRom  (about 968 KB ) & will probably be an application file.

Now right click that .exc application  (right click not left click) then click make shortcut.

Now drag that shortcut you just made  to wherever you want it on your computer,  then close all folders.

Now when you click on that shortcut the RepPom should open & work.

As mentioned, you can put it on a thumb drive but those are usually slow so if you want quick opening & quick look up then a main drive on your computer will work best  (but also having it on a thumb drive will allow you to take it with you)

I haven't been able to get mine to run from an HDD either.  I have to fire up my super slow legacy laptop to use it.

CoarsegoldKid

So far the source computer wasn't able to read some XML files so I had to skip those when copying to the thumb drive.  73% complete.  I don't think this is going to work either.

Yeah the copying from the RepROM isn't working at 73% complete because it can't read the XML files.  XML files are Microsoft excel files aren't they?

Edited by CoarsegoldKid
update

XML is a form of language..  (extensible markup language) it needs a “reader” of some sorts to make better sense of it.  FYI, .gpx files are written in XML, so when you create a custom route in I.e. BaseCamp, it’s an ‘XML’ type file, and in a simple reader such as notepad you can look at what was written, but unless you understand the different data definitions in it, it really won’t make a whole lotta sense to you.  Twisties definition may be a more ‘accurate’ description of exactly what XML is, btw..

if I had a reprom DVD, I could see about getting it running off of a hdd... So you’re saying running the .exe (executable) doesn’t get it going correctly?

It may be an issue that in essence it’s a program and that it has a registry running along with it.. (probably not correct use of terminology) and copying the reprom into a sub folder loses the registry coding?  (...thinking out loud)

3 hours ago, w2ge said:

XML is a form of language..  (extensible markup language) it needs a “reader” of some sorts to make better sense of it.  FYI, .gpx files are written in XML, so when you create a custom route in I.e. BaseCamp, it’s an ‘XML’ type file, and in a simple reader such as notepad you can look at what was written, but unless you understand the different data definitions in it, it really won’t make a whole lotta sense to you.  Twisties definition may be a more ‘accurate’ description of exactly what XML is, btw..

if I had a reprom DVD, I could see about getting it running off of a hdd... So you’re saying running the .exe (executable) doesn’t get it going correctly?

It may be an issue that in essence it’s a program and that it has a registry running along with it.. (probably not correct use of terminology) and copying the reprom into a sub folder loses the registry coding?  (...thinking out loud)

Afternoon  w2ge

The BMW RepRom's will run just fine from a hard drive (all my computers have a large range of RepRom's on them & they function fine. (they worked on  win 98, through win 10.

Problem is: you have to get the ENTIRE RepRom copied onto hard drive.

This seems to be a problem for some with new computers (my friend can't get his computer to load the entire RepRom on  a new computer (about 1 year old).

My guess is there is some sort of copyright blocking in the DVD/CD reader firmware. In any case I used my old win 7  shop computer & copied his RepRom to a thumb drive then he copied that thumb drive to his win 10 computer & all is good. 

LittleBriar

My DVD for the Wetheads has an application built in to allow you to transfer the files from DVD to computer. You can buy a usb dvd reader for peanuts and use then use it the transfer program built in to get it on your hard drive.

Also, I just discovered that a recent update eliminated the 5 install limit copy protection. I now have unlimited installs left. Others have reported similar change. That solves a big problem as a major update to Windows 10 would require a reactivation of the software and consequently reduce your available installs.

• Like 1