IGNORED

"Miles to Empty" confusion

MBrockman5

Just need to vent for a sec.

One thing I don't like/understand is the Low Fuel light and the remaining "Miles To Empty" range. Is it normal for the remaining range to rapidly decrease? 

For example, my gas light comes on when I have around "56 miles left". But once it comes on, I will watch as it becomes less and less in a short about of time. For every mile I RIDE, I lose 3 or 4 miles of RANGE.

Is this normal? I've read a plethora of posts regarding the common Fuel Strip issues, but I don't think that's what's going on in my case. 

MrMillett95

Mine seems to be pretty linear as the miles tick down. Although I do have trust issues. I reset the trip each fill up to ensure I don't get stranded. 

It's ok, trust the gut,....I've run my HP4 and RT well past the ---(no miles left) signal, the RT I've gone 50ish miles past the no miles left.  I trust my mental calculations of how many MPG's I average vs the compluter's average

• Like 1

I think the miles-to-empty (MTE) calculation uses the overall average mpg - if that is different from your current fuel consumption rate, the MTE will be off.   My MTE is pretty accurate, the estimated average mpg is a couple mpg optimistic. I reset the average mpg reading at each fill up, and run close to "empty" at least every third or fourth tank in hope that helps the fuel strip remember its full range.

MTE is not miles to a dry tank. After filling many times when MTE is at or near "zero", I know I still have nearly a full gallon in reserve.  

I never pay any attention to that. 

I use the trip meter and after a reasonable distance traveled, fill up again as convenient and available.

This is somewhat essential in the western states.  There is a sign south of my house that says 'no services for the next 108 miles', or so.  And as far as I know that is still true in a number of places.

dc

I should be so lucky to have a countdown. When my F700GS hits reserve, it starts counting UP, 1, 2, 3, etc. so it's next to useless, although better than nothing.

My best guess is that I have 30-40 miles to go after the reserve light comes on. I tried pushing the info button to see if counting down was a display option, but apparently not.

Mine is reasonably accurate around 100 miles to empty.  Pretty accurate above 50-60 miles.  As it gets closer to empty, it can jump around some, or go down by fits and starts in an irregular manor.  However, I think it reliably hits 0 (empty) with the specified amount of fuel in reserve...  1.1 gallons IIRC.    

Ok... So if I understand this correctly, when the remaining miles says "0", that is when the reserve kicks in? NOT when the gas light comes on.... Correct?

3 minutes ago, MBrockman5 said:

Ok... So if I understand this correctly, when the remaining miles says "0", that is when the reserve kicks in? NOT when the gas light comes on.... Correct?

Yes.

Ok, coolio... Instead of being relieved, I'll keep the habit of having "Stress Induced Panic" when the light comes on just for added peace of mind...

• 1 year later...

I have been watching my range display. In kms it comes on about 80 kms before I have to get gas. This, however, varies depending on how fast I'm riding. I have watched it go up and down as I ride. Basically, I think it bases the distance one can ride before needing gas on my speed over the previous several minutes. In sixth gear at 80 kph I got one reading and riding in fifth gear at the same speed the range dropped by several kms. I've watched this happen over a couple of tanks of gas.

Hope this helps.

11 hours ago, Eisenwal said:

I have been watching my range display. In kms it comes on about 80 kms before I have to get gas. This, however, varies depending on how fast I'm riding. I have watched it go up and down as I ride. Basically, I think it bases the distance one can ride before needing gas on my speed over the previous several minutes. In sixth gear at 80 kph I got one reading and riding in fifth gear at the same speed the range dropped by several kms. I've watched this happen over a couple of tanks of gas.

Hope this helps.

Morning  Eisenwal

It isn't based on your speed but "the speed that you are riding" does effect it. It is based on how much fuel you are using vs your average fuel consumption per  travel distance.  

So the faster you ride lowers your current miles per gallon so your distance to empty is lower.  

Same with riding in a lower gear as higher RPM over distance traveled usually lowers the average miles per gallon so you have less reserve range. 

The computer basically knows how much fuel is now (and has been)  squirted into  the engine, plus it knows how far you rode on that fuel.

But it still boils down to how accurate your fuel  strip is & how accurately  is was calibrated when installed  as the the above only works if it knows how much fuel is  remaining in the fuel tank. 

1 hour ago, Ponch said:

After two fuel strip replacements and running out of gas, I use the trip meter. 

Evening  Ponch

Can't beat that with a stick!

• Like 1