IGNORED

When tar snakes attack

joeb

OK. Here may be a dumb question ( my father used to say " there are no dumb questions , just dummy's asking questions " . He used to say that a lot to me. Hmmmmmm) . I've never had problems with tar snakes before, yet in the last two days I've had the front end wash out twice on me. Didn't go down but my right boot has lost some leather and I'm sure my right leg has a mutiny planned.  I've been using Michelin PRs for years but recently I've switched to Metzlers.

. So here is the question. Is it possible that different tire brands are are more susceptible to tar snakes than others ?

Btw, so far really like the roadtec 01s. Finally got them for a long ride in a.real soaker of a storm and they seemed fine. Didn't push them as hard as I do the Pr4s so not sure if they equally stack up to the Michelins

1 hour ago, joeb said:

OK. Here may be a dumb question ( my father used to say " there are no dumb questions , just dummy's asking questions " . He used to say that a lot to me. Hmmmmmm) . I've never had problems with tar snakes before, yet in the last two days I've had the front end wash out twice on me. Didn't go down but my right boot has lost some leather and I'm sure my right leg has a mutiny planned.  I've been using Michelin PRs for years but recently I've switched to Metzlers.

. So here is the question. Is it possible that different tire brands are are more susceptible to tar snakes than others ?

Btw, so far really like the roadtec 01s. Finally got them for a long ride in a.real soaker of a storm and they seemed fine. Didn't push them as hard as I do the Pr4s so not sure if they equally stack up to the Michelins

Morning Joeb

Tar snakes are a real pain for motorcyclists. You just never know how slick that they are going to be. 

In some areas near me the road commission puts some grit in the tar as they apply it so those are not nearly as slippery as the all tar ones. Summer heat can make them a LOT slicker so in warm/hot weather be very wary of any tar snakes.

I would imagine that some tires are better on tar snakes that others but probably not enough better to trust the traction.

I usually plan my cornering line to miss the tar snakes & if not possible at least hit them with less motorcycle lean.

tar-snake-road.jpg

• Like 1

OMG on that road, D.R.___

My new RT (3500 miles, so far) handles tar snake on my daily commute without an issue.  That bike has Metzelers.  The Metzelers on my R1200C definitely feel squirrely.  New-ish front tire and need's changed rear tire, which may be root cause of feeling uneasy.   The 2 bikes are worlds apart on handling, though.

15 minutes ago, joeb said:

Looking at dba's picture and Dirtriders I cant decide which road looks worse. Yikes !

One of those do not like to be stepped on. 

duckbubbles

I have found Michelin PR4/R5 to be better on tar snakes than either Dunlop or Metzeler.  The Dunlop Roadsmart III being unnerving in the dry and downright alarming in the damp/wet.

Frank

I wouldn't say that the Michelin RP4GTs on my '15RT are any worse than the Metzler Z-8s on my '99RT on tar snakes, but I am real cautious when riding a road full of them so I may not have pushed it enough to discern a difference.  The hot weather has finally arrived in the upper mid west states this week and tar snakes have softened to the point that they will yield when a tire pushes on them, so apples to apples you would need to ride on enough similarly hot days to conclude if one tire is better than another.   Wet tar snakes are down right slick and deserve plenty of caution when riding on them as no tire deals with that well.   I'll also put those white painted stop strips right up there with tar snakes for slickness. And of course in my state some safetycrats decided some years back to make them 3x as wide as they used to be so now instead of an unnerving under steer moment  it has become a hazard to M/C riders because they will cause one to loose their front end completely. 

Oldironken

My experience is that the Metzler Z8's were awful on tar snakes, scared me multiple times.  My PR 4's are a lot better, in both hot and cold weather.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting - I had a horrible experience with PR 2s and never went back.  I have been using Metzler's since and really like them.  But then again, I don't have issues with tar snakes. Still, I watch the tire statements closely - just in case ...

RandyShields

SE riders are familiar with NC 226A, from Marion up to Little Switzerland.  The "Diamondback" received extensive crack repair with tar snakes a few years back which prompted a number of online warnings to motorcyclists.  The road is so tight, with steep drop offs, that losing control could be disastrous.  We tried the road a couple of times when it was warm, and speeds were significantly reduced as you had to carefully pick your way through the maze.  While the NC DOT promised repaving within 90 days, that turned into a couple of years, so much so, that the businesses in Little Switzerland who rely on motorcycle traffic for their survival (e.g., Switzerland Café), started a protest to push the government to finally get to the promised repaving.  Finally repaved a couple of years later, things were back to normal, but it was a good example of the broader ramifications of use of tar snakes as an interim repair measure.

http://www.diamondbackncblog.com/?cat=3

On 7/10/2019 at 5:42 AM, RandyShields said:

SE riders are familiar with NC 226A, from Marion up to Little Switzerland.  The "Diamondback" received extensive crack repair with tar snakes a few years back which prompted a number of online warnings to motorcyclists.  The road is so tight, with steep drop offs, that losing control could be disastrous.  We tried the road a couple of times when it was warm, and speeds were significantly reduced as you had to carefully pick your way through the maze.  While the NC DOT promised repaving within 90 days, that turned into a couple of years, so much so, that the businesses in Little Switzerland who rely on motorcycle traffic for their survival (e.g., Switzerland Café), started a protest to push the government to finally get to the promised repaving.  Finally repaved a couple of years later, things were back to normal, but it was a good example of the broader ramifications of use of tar snakes as an interim repair measure.

http://www.diamondbackncblog.com/?cat=3

Old quote they repaved it two summers ago. Very nice except for the YaHoo's that get in the righthanders and throw crap out on the road.