Jump to content
Mike

The UnCollision

Recommended Posts

Mike

I’ll make this brief, since the word will soon be out. My son Alex was rear-ended by another rider on an H-D this morning (a mutual friend who lost his concentration and plowed into Alex at 30-40 mph). Alex is okay. The other guy has a couple of scrapes. 

 

Alex, following in his old man’s footsteps, wears ATGATT, including a Helite vest. That particular bit of gear helped save his bacon, as he did a swan dive/faceplant into the pavement. I shudder to think what could have occurred, but he likely would have suffered a hyperextended neck, possible cervical injury, and broken ribs or collarbone without the vest. 

 

Egos were bruised. Tears have been shed. I thank God that neither suffered anything worse than minor abrasions (Alex has ZERO injuries). 

 

Buy a fucking Helite. They’re a little bit of a pain in the ass to wear, but one may save your bacon. 

 

And, lest I forget, many thanks to Whip and the others who volunteered to help. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TEWKS

So glad there were no serious injuries in the incident! :4315:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dennis Andress

@Endobobdds Please tell Mike and Son the story of Laney and I in Aspen, Colorado...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LBump
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

So glad there were no serious injuries in the incident! :4315:

 

As Pat said... really glad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John Ranalletta

So sorry to hear this and glad everybody's intact still.  A couple of pictures from happier times.  The young guy with the guns is Alex.  Mike on the right.  

IMG_5757.JPG

IMG_5768.JPG

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EffBee

So very glad to hear you and Alex are OK.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Selden

It could always have been worse. I heard a rumor that your son's KTM may be totaled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike
9 hours ago, Selden said:

It could always have been worse. I heard a rumor that your son's KTM may be totaled.

Don’t really know. To my eye, it looks completely fixable, but I understand that bikes are often totaled. The stuff I see that’s damaged is bolt-on stuff—subframe member, wheel, a couple fairing parts, etc. I guess it can add up pretty fast, though. 

 

I’ll make sure he’s back to 100%, however it happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TEWKS
22 hours ago, Mike said:

I’ll make sure he’s back to 100%, however it happens. 

 

Believe at breakfast, Alex mentioned interest in a, um GS...;)

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike
21 hours ago, TEWKS said:

 

Believe at breakfast, Alex mentioned interest in a, um GS...;)

 

 

Maybe we can negotiate a two-fer deal!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike

The initial repair estimate is over $10,000. Waiting to see what the insurance company says. All the damage was to stuff that can be unbolted and reattached, no structural damage. However, the bits and pieces are VERY expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TEWKS

Great Scott, 10K! :eek: Hmm, :java: Great Scott...GS :grin: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Charles
On 7/5/2019 at 3:22 AM, Mike said:

The initial repair estimate is over $10,000. Waiting to see what the insurance company says. All the damage was to stuff that can be unbolted and reattached, no structural damage. However, the bits and pieces are VERY expensive. 

Then I hope for you that maybe it will not be so bad after all ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
realshelby
On 6/26/2019 at 5:49 PM, Mike said:

 

 

Buy a fucking Helite. They’re a little bit of a pain in the ass to wear, but one may save your bacon. 

 

 

This pushed me to get one. Helite Turtle 2 in hi-viz should be here Friday. So some good came out of it! 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marty Hill
On 6/26/2019 at 6:49 PM, Mike said:

 

Buy a fucking Helite. They’re a little bit of a pain in the ass to wear, but one may save your bacon. 

 

Guess if your a mod this language is allowed.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TEWKS

Sometimes, it just takes the right combination of words to get things done! :rofl: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
realshelby

I use foul language all the time. Yet I don't ever use it when transmitting on the radio, don't like to hear it there, and think it is out of place at many public venues when used for a shock factor. I don't use it often on forums...

 

But I did use here by quoting it. And I am not a moderator. Nor was it used to offend, shock, or make a point. 

 

When I read what I quoted the first time, I too was.....surprised at the language. Considering it is/was Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. But there is more to interpreting what you hear than can be placed in black and white absolutes. Just like when Big Poppy let go the famous F'bomb on national tv, there was a pure side to what was said. Far from vulgar, as most would automatically think. I think what Mike wrote was the same in that way. For your own good, buy a Helite. Written in a moment of passion after a high anxiety incident. 

 

If the mods see fit to edit it to keep the peace, I am ok with that. But I won't do it on my own. I think it was perfect for the moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marty Hill

The language doesn't bother me.  It's the fact that it has been preached against for the 20 years I've been here.  Kinda sad that it's ok for a mod to use it when they wish.    

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike
On 7/10/2019 at 1:05 PM, Marty Hill said:

 

Point well taken, though we have “evolved” a bit in this regard. ✌️

 

I do hope, though, that it may serve to emphasize the message. Because not dying in a crash is kinda important. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike

By the way, Alex received word yesterday that the bike is totaled. The search has begun for a replacement. 

 

Does anyone here have any experience with Mountain Motorsports in Roswell, Georgia?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TEWKS

I checked their inventory and didn't see a single GS or GSA. :dontknow: :grin: 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike
On 7/10/2019 at 2:22 PM, realshelby said:

But there is more to interpreting what you hear than can be placed in black and white absolutes. Just like when Big Poppy let go the famous F'bomb on national tv, there was a pure side to what was said. Far from vulgar, as most would automatically think. I think what Mike wrote was the same in that way. For your own good, buy a Helite. Written in a moment of passion after a high anxiety incident. 

 

If the mods see fit to edit it to keep the peace, I am ok with that. But I won't do it on my own. I think it was perfect for the moment. 

First, let me apologize to those whom I have offended. While I would hope that Marty would know me better, I in no way intended to abuse my role as a mod, and I’m saddened that he thinks so little of me to suggest that.

 

Here’s the deal, and I do not expect, nor do I ask for, forgiveness: a short while before writing my account, I had just witnessed, in full Technicolor, my son narrowly escape death or crippling injury because of a stupid move by a friend. We had spent hours mopping up the aftermath, and just before I wrote this, my friend—the errant rider—a had broken down in an uncontrollable fit of tears. There was a lot more going on, but suffice it to say that it was a rather stressful day; In fact, hellish. It’s not often you see someone you love narrowly escape death. 

 

So, in writing this, I was perhaps a bit overwhelmed myself and used language that may have offended some. I’m sorry, but not too much, because I know a couple of friends who made the investment in the piece of gear that saved my kid, based on what I wrote. I hope they never put it to the test, but I’m glad that some have made this choice. 

 

So, again, I’m sorry, gang. It was an error in judgment, but a heartfelt expression offered for the benefit of others about whom I genuinely care. 

 

Here goes again: Buy a gosh-darned Helite.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joe Frickin' Friday

Mike, glad to hear Alex and the other rider are OK.  Your description of the emotional aftermath for you, Alex, and the fellow who hit him reminds me of my experience in the aftermath of my car wreck a few years ago.  I'm sorry for what you all went through, and are surely still going through; if you're like me, then this thing is going to give all of you the shakes for at least a few months.  From your friend's crying breakdown, it sounds like he feels reasonably awful about what happened, and I hope you can be kind to him.

 

Didn't see a link to the Helite stuff, so I Googled it up and found it:

 

Helite Moto

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike
34 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Mike, glad to hear Alex and the other rider are OK.  Your description of the emotional aftermath for you, Alex, and the fellow who hit him reminds me of my experience in the aftermath of my car wreck a few years ago.  I'm sorry for what you all went through, and are surely still going through; if you're like me, then this thing is going to give all of you the shakes for at least a few months.  From your friend's crying breakdown, it sounds like he feels reasonably awful about what happened, and I hope you can be kind to him.

 

Didn't see a link to the Helite stuff, so I Googled it up and found it:

 

Helite Moto

 

 

 

 

Thanks, Mitch. I bought mine through a dealer named Erik Munck. Good guy and he gives a discount. I’ll share his info with anyone who’s interested. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skywagon

interested....please share...also have a question.  I assume you guys are talking about the vest, not the jacket???  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike
21 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

interested....please share...also have a question.  I assume you guys are talking about the vest, not the jacket???  

Yes, we got the Turtle 2 vest (latest version). I contacted Erik through FB Messenger. His phone is 805.336.9198. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike

Any guesses on the replacement? 🤔

574ED06A-26DA-4E77-A761-CD62EC792A5D.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TEWKS

Funny, I almost asked the question yesterday. Was wondering if Alex was going to Keep The Mechanics happy or, just Bring More Wampum? :grin: I see he went out and grabbed a Tiger by the tail! ;) :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike
18 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Funny, I almost asked the question yesterday. Was wondering if Alex was going to Keep The Mechanics happy or, just Bring More Wampum? :grin: I see he went out and grabbed a Tiger by the tail! ;) :thumbsup:

Yep! Down a bit on power compared to the KTM, but he’s very happy with it.  It’s really a nice motorcycle, with a surprising suite of standard features. The “Expedition” aluminum panniers are on the way. 

4C63BF87-ECD3-4B83-9C98-A7AB88368E9E.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whip

Nice bike!

 

Torrey is right around the corner.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AZgman

I hope he likes the Triumph. He won't like the price if he has a dealer do a valve gap adjustment... DAMHIK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike
10 minutes ago, AZgman said:

I hope he likes the Triumph. He won't like the price if he has a dealer do a valve gap adjustment... DAMHIK.

I’m sure he’ll be fine  They’re also a BMW dealer, and we all know that they offer bargain basement service rates! 🤣🤣🤣 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TEWKS

Whoa, tell Alex he needs to break her in a bit before ripping it up like that! :revit: :grin:

59995189_10217546120181194_5982304159544

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dba
On 7/26/2019 at 5:51 AM, TEWKS said:

 

Don't laugh.  Here's the back of my GTL.  Glad everyone's healing.

 

IMG_7913-XL.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bud
Posted (edited)

Having lost 34 lbs with 10 more to go. Now posted in the classifieds.  

Edited by Bud
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...