IGNORED

The UnCollision

Mike

I’ll make this brief, since the word will soon be out. My son Alex was rear-ended by another rider on an H-D this morning (a mutual friend who lost his concentration and plowed into Alex at 30-40 mph). Alex is okay. The other guy has a couple of scrapes. 

Alex, following in his old man’s footsteps, wears ATGATT, including a Helite vest. That particular bit of gear helped save his bacon, as he did a swan dive/faceplant into the pavement. I shudder to think what could have occurred, but he likely would have suffered a hyperextended neck, possible cervical injury, and broken ribs or collarbone without the vest. 

Egos were bruised. Tears have been shed. I thank God that neither suffered anything worse than minor abrasions (Alex has ZERO injuries). 

Buy a fucking Helite. They’re a little bit of a pain in the ass to wear, but one may save your bacon. 

And, lest I forget, many thanks to Whip and the others who volunteered to help. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

So glad there were no serious injuries in the incident! :4315:

As Pat said... really glad.

John Ranalletta

So sorry to hear this and glad everybody's intact still.  A couple of pictures from happier times.  The young guy with the guns is Alex.  Mike on the right.  

IMG_5757.JPG

IMG_5768.JPG

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Selden said:

It could always have been worse. I heard a rumor that your son's KTM may be totaled.

Don’t really know. To my eye, it looks completely fixable, but I understand that bikes are often totaled. The stuff I see that’s damaged is bolt-on stuff—subframe member, wheel, a couple fairing parts, etc. I guess it can add up pretty fast, though. 

I’ll make sure he’s back to 100%, however it happens. 

22 hours ago, Mike said:

I’ll make sure he’s back to 100%, however it happens. 

Believe at breakfast, Alex mentioned interest in a, um GS...;)

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Believe at breakfast, Alex mentioned interest in a, um GS...;)

Maybe we can negotiate a two-fer deal!

• Like 1

The initial repair estimate is over $10,000. Waiting to see what the insurance company says. All the damage was to stuff that can be unbolted and reattached, no structural damage. However, the bits and pieces are VERY expensive.

On 7/5/2019 at 3:22 AM, Mike said:

The initial repair estimate is over $10,000. Waiting to see what the insurance company says. All the damage was to stuff that can be unbolted and reattached, no structural damage. However, the bits and pieces are VERY expensive. 

Then I hope for you that maybe it will not be so bad after all ...

On 6/26/2019 at 5:49 PM, Mike said:

Buy a fucking Helite. They’re a little bit of a pain in the ass to wear, but one may save your bacon. 

This pushed me to get one. Helite Turtle 2 in hi-viz should be here Friday. So some good came out of it! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 6/26/2019 at 6:49 PM, Mike said:

Guess if your a mod this language is allowed.  

I use foul language all the time. Yet I don't ever use it when transmitting on the radio, don't like to hear it there, and think it is out of place at many public venues when used for a shock factor. I don't use it often on forums...

But I did use here by quoting it. And I am not a moderator. Nor was it used to offend, shock, or make a point. 

When I read what I quoted the first time, I too was.....surprised at the language. Considering it is/was Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. But there is more to interpreting what you hear than can be placed in black and white absolutes. Just like when Big Poppy let go the famous F'bomb on national tv, there was a pure side to what was said. Far from vulgar, as most would automatically think. I think what Mike wrote was the same in that way. For your own good, buy a Helite. Written in a moment of passion after a high anxiety incident. 

If the mods see fit to edit it to keep the peace, I am ok with that. But I won't do it on my own. I think it was perfect for the moment. 

The language doesn't bother me.  It's the fact that it has been preached against for the 20 years I've been here.  Kinda sad that it's ok for a mod to use it when they wish.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 7/10/2019 at 1:05 PM, Marty Hill said:

Point well taken, though we have “evolved” a bit in this regard. ✌️

I do hope, though, that it may serve to emphasize the message. Because not dying in a crash is kinda important. 

• Thanks 1

By the way, Alex received word yesterday that the bike is totaled. The search has begun for a replacement. 

Does anyone here have any experience with Mountain Motorsports in Roswell, Georgia?

On 7/10/2019 at 2:22 PM, realshelby said:

But there is more to interpreting what you hear than can be placed in black and white absolutes. Just like when Big Poppy let go the famous F'bomb on national tv, there was a pure side to what was said. Far from vulgar, as most would automatically think. I think what Mike wrote was the same in that way. For your own good, buy a Helite. Written in a moment of passion after a high anxiety incident. 

If the mods see fit to edit it to keep the peace, I am ok with that. But I won't do it on my own. I think it was perfect for the moment. 

First, let me apologize to those whom I have offended. While I would hope that Marty would know me better, I in no way intended to abuse my role as a mod, and I’m saddened that he thinks so little of me to suggest that.

Here’s the deal, and I do not expect, nor do I ask for, forgiveness: a short while before writing my account, I had just witnessed, in full Technicolor, my son narrowly escape death or crippling injury because of a stupid move by a friend. We had spent hours mopping up the aftermath, and just before I wrote this, my friend—the errant rider—a had broken down in an uncontrollable fit of tears. There was a lot more going on, but suffice it to say that it was a rather stressful day; In fact, hellish. It’s not often you see someone you love narrowly escape death. 

So, in writing this, I was perhaps a bit overwhelmed myself and used language that may have offended some. I’m sorry, but not too much, because I know a couple of friends who made the investment in the piece of gear that saved my kid, based on what I wrote. I hope they never put it to the test, but I’m glad that some have made this choice. 

So, again, I’m sorry, gang. It was an error in judgment, but a heartfelt expression offered for the benefit of others about whom I genuinely care. 

Here goes again: Buy a gosh-darned Helite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

Mike, glad to hear Alex and the other rider are OK.  Your description of the emotional aftermath for you, Alex, and the fellow who hit him reminds me of my experience in the aftermath of my car wreck a few years ago.  I'm sorry for what you all went through, and are surely still going through; if you're like me, then this thing is going to give all of you the shakes for at least a few months.  From your friend's crying breakdown, it sounds like he feels reasonably awful about what happened, and I hope you can be kind to him.

Didn't see a link to the Helite stuff, so I Googled it up and found it:

Helite Moto

34 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Mike, glad to hear Alex and the other rider are OK.  Your description of the emotional aftermath for you, Alex, and the fellow who hit him reminds me of my experience in the aftermath of my car wreck a few years ago.  I'm sorry for what you all went through, and are surely still going through; if you're like me, then this thing is going to give all of you the shakes for at least a few months.  From your friend's crying breakdown, it sounds like he feels reasonably awful about what happened, and I hope you can be kind to him.

Didn't see a link to the Helite stuff, so I Googled it up and found it:

Helite Moto

Thanks, Mitch. I bought mine through a dealer named Erik Munck. Good guy and he gives a discount. I’ll share his info with anyone who’s interested. 

interested....please share...also have a question.  I assume you guys are talking about the vest, not the jacket???  

21 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

interested....please share...also have a question.  I assume you guys are talking about the vest, not the jacket???  

Yes, we got the Turtle 2 vest (latest version). I contacted Erik through FB Messenger. His phone is 805.336.9198. 

• 2 weeks later...

Funny, I almost asked the question yesterday. Was wondering if Alex was going to Keep The Mechanics happy or, just Bring More Wampum? :grin: I see he went out and grabbed a Tiger by the tail! ;) :thumbsup:

18 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Funny, I almost asked the question yesterday. Was wondering if Alex was going to Keep The Mechanics happy or, just Bring More Wampum? :grin: I see he went out and grabbed a Tiger by the tail! ;) :thumbsup:

Yep! Down a bit on power compared to the KTM, but he’s very happy with it.  It’s really a nice motorcycle, with a surprising suite of standard features. The “Expedition” aluminum panniers are on the way. 

4C63BF87-ECD3-4B83-9C98-A7AB88368E9E.jpeg

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, AZgman said:

I hope he likes the Triumph. He won't like the price if he has a dealer do a valve gap adjustment... DAMHIK.

I’m sure he’ll be fine  They’re also a BMW dealer, and we all know that they offer bargain basement service rates! 🤣🤣🤣 

Having lost 34 lbs with 10 more to go. Now posted in the classifieds.  

Edited by Bud
typo