IGNORED

1948's ATGATT??

Indy Dave

main_900.jpg.3cb948edf29b67ba134cc5dd6f649b65.jpg

The Original Caption for this photo: The motorcycle racer Roland Free lies horizontally on his bike (to reduce wind resistance) as he breaks the world speed record on Utah's Bonneville Salt Flats on September 13, 1948.

EDIT: To protect himself and allow comfort when in such a position, Free had developed special protective clothing. However, when his leathers tore from early runs at 147 mph (237 km/h), he discarded them and made a final attempt without jacket, pants, gloves, boots or helmet. Free lay flat on the motorcycle wearing only a bathing suit, a shower cap, and a pair of borrowed sneakers – inspired by friend Ed Kretz. This resulted not only in the record, but also one of the most famous photographs in motorcycling history, the "bathing suit bike" shot taken from a speeding car alongside his run on the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah.

Edited by Indy Dave
  • 3 weeks later...
Joe Frickin' Friday

In my office, I have small posters of two other famous motorcycle photos:

Roadog

image.png.f101744c8f6b5a16c544b9fe6d31ca79.png

Gary Nixon

image.png.419f1c0176411070bf9a194b500bd8c7.png

I've been meaning to add Rollie Free to my collection.  Thanks for the reminder.  

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

So if Rollie Free's almost-naked speed run is one of the most famous photos in motorcycling history, what are the others?  I've pointed out Roadog and Gary Nixon above.  Any other nominees?

Bud Ekins from the Great Escape.

He jumped the barbed wire fence for Steve McQueen in the last scene.

great-escape-1.jpg

• Like 1
Bill_Walker
3 hours ago, LBump said:

Bud Ekins from the Great Escape.

He jumped the barbed wire fence for Steve McQueen in the last scene.

On his German Army Triumph. :D

Bill_Walker

Other famous ones from movies: Marlon Brando in the The Wild One, and Fonda and Hopper in Easy Rider.

Any picture of Evel Knievel.

The staged photo from the Hollister rally in LIFE magazine of the guy on the Harley surrounded by empty beer bottles.

1454789243_wp-content2Fuploads2F20152F052FLife-Hollister.jpg2Ffull-fit-in__950x534.thumb.jpg.00fe730ce71efe5c90f483d9efe7a066.jpg

The photo of David Baker with his face all smushed up in his helmet. :)

Edited by Bill_Walker
Added photo
Joe Frickin' Friday
On 7/26/2019 at 3:48 PM, Bill_Walker said:

The photo of David Baker with his face all smushed up in his helmet. :)

OMG, I know I've got that one somewhere in my collection.  That's the one that got made into a business card for "Ridin' Smart Lessuns", with a stack of them quietly left in the hotel lobby at one of our Smoky-Mountain events.  

:burnout:

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2019 at 8:27 AM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

So if Rollie Free's almost-naked speed run is one of the most famous photos in motorcycling history, what are the others?  I've pointed out Roadog and Gary Nixon above.  Any other nominees?

famous-movie-motorcycles-from-easy-rider-to-ghost-rider-1.jpg

famous-movie-motorcycles-from-easy-rider-to-ghost-rider.jpg

on-any-sunday-bts8.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 6.45.22 AM.png

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
13 hours ago, Whip said:

famous-movie-motorcycles-from-easy-rider-to-ghost-rider.jpg

Quite the coincidence, you posting this pic on the day Peter Fonda died.  :(

As for this shot:

13 hours ago, Whip said:

Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 6.45.22 AM.png

Does it even count?  I mean he's not actually riding; that thing is hard-mounted to a trailer.  

• Like 1

Wow... P Fonda passed on the 50th anniversary of Woodstock. That's coincidence...

My area is starting to diminish... sad for anyone that is a part of the 60's generation. 

RIP

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

As for this shot:

Does it even count?  I mean he's not actually riding; that thing is hard-mounted to a trailer.  

Yeah, you can see the tie-down hook on the left fork.  Plus, for riding at speed to race the jet, he has the clutch pulled in.  Must be in the middle of a gear change.  :bike: