IGNORED

Mackinac Bridge Crossing - Michigan

Kirkus

I haven't been over the Mackinac Bridge for a few decades, but it seems that the steel grate was always the surface, at least over the peak portion of the bridge.  It is pretty weird to be able to look down through the road to the water a 150 feet beneath you.  Windy a lot of the time too.

We had a fair amount of small bridges in Penn that were metal grate floors.  Always squirrelly to ride on as they were super slick.

RandyShields
10 hours ago, Sonor said:

We had a fair amount of small bridges in Penn that were metal grate floors.  Always squirrelly to ride on as they were super slick.

Yep.  Over many of them through the years.  Let the arms and hands keep just a light touch and the bike will meander a bit, like in gravel.  A bit uncomfortable, but stable and generally pretty straight.

• Like 1
On 6/24/2019 at 5:38 PM, MikeRC said:

Wow, I hope they get that construction finished before the July 4th crowds :eek: 

Mike

I've lived in Michigan my whole life, and have crossed the bridge quite a few times.  I don't l think I've ever crossed it when there wasn't some kind of construction being done.  My wife didn't like heights, and when we crossed the bridge on a bike she would just stare at the back of my helmet.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I've crossed several times and would prefer the grate to the edge. In high winds, small cars have been blown over the side. Nope, I'll stick with the grate. Leave lots of space in front of me, no quick movements or reactions, keep your hands and arms loose and ride on!