Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
John Ranalletta

Adding bicycles to the mix

Recommended Posts

John Ranalletta

After the Unrally, we're meeting our kids and grand kids in the Poconos; so, we decided to take the bicycles along.  The challenge is how to carry them.  Could put them on top the X3.  No.  Could strap them to the GS on the trailer. No, cause likely they'd bounce around and scratch the GS.

 

I noticed the Thule bike carrier hanging on the wall and had a brain fart.  I welded up a bracket to make the Thule mast fast to the chock mast and added a support so the carrier and bikes' weights would be carried on the trailer bed, not the chock mast.  Importantly, the Thule mast did not have to be modified, just bolt on the bracket and leg to existing bolt holes.

 

Here's hoping we don't see it all fall apart.

 

 

IMG_5748.JPG

IMG_5746.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
roadscholar

IMG_5746.JPG

 

Don't know if you're removing the bike wheels but if not check they don't extend much past the 45 degrees of the trailer frame rails, they're made that angle for a reason. A U-turn or steep angle backing up could make for some unwanted contact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John Ranalletta
2 hours ago, roadscholar said:

IMG_5746.JPG

 

Don't know if you're removing the bike wheels but if not check they don't extend much past the 45 degrees of the trailer frame rails, they're made that angle for a reason. A U-turn or steep angle backing up could make for some unwanted contact.

 

Thanks for the reminder.  I loaded the bikes and hitched up the trailer.  There appears to be more than enough room between the wheels and car rear end.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Living the Dream
On 6/20/2019 at 11:36 AM, John Ranalletta said:

No, cause likely they'd bounce around and scratch the GS.

 

 

 

Uh,....I'm confused, aren't GS's "adventure" bikes, hence, they should have scratches:5150:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John Ranalletta
On 6/20/2019 at 11:36 AM, John Ranalletta said:

Well, it didn't fall apart, but turns out to be not such a good idea.  The added, up front weight changed the dynamics of the trailer.  Oh well, how do you know if you don't try?

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bill_Walker
1 hour ago, John Ranalletta said:

The added, up front weight changed the dynamics of the trailer.

 

How so?  I've experienced trailer sway from too little tongue weight, but what's the symptom of too much tongue weight, other than sagging of the tow vehicle?  And besides, bikes weigh hardly anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John Ranalletta

There's no measurable, additional sag, but the trailer just isn't towing as smoothly as before to START and last year's Unrally in SD.   Before adding the Thule, I also moved the m/c chock forward about 4"; so, it's a combo that just doesn't feel right.  I moved the chock back to original position today but still have the bikes on board; so, well see how that changes the dynamic.

 

Also, have continuing harmonic in left wheel assembly that's shearing fender struts.  I think wheel tracking is off slightly but will have to wait 'til home to inspect.  Tire tread wear left to right is the same; so, I'm thinking if alignment is the issue, I'd have more tire wear.  We'll see.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
roadscholar
1 hour ago, John Ranalletta said:

There's no measurable, additional sag, but the trailer just isn't towing as smoothly as before to START and last year's Unrally in SD.   Before adding the Thule, I also moved the m/c chock forward about 4"; so, it's a combo that just doesn't feel right.  I moved the chock back to original position today but still have the bikes on board; so, well see how that changes the dynamic.

 

Also, have continuing harmonic in left wheel assembly that's shearing fender struts.  I think wheel tracking is off slightly but will have to wait 'til home to inspect.  Tire tread wear left to right is the same; so, I'm thinking if alignment is the issue, I'd have more tire wear.  We'll see.

 

 

This is a long shot but the bicycles might be causing dirty air (turbulence) between the high roof SUV and trailer, enough to move the trailer around some at speed. 

 

My trailer was heavier but I was towing an enclosed 5x10 (2 BMW's inside) with an 'aerodynamic' nose cone out west behind an ML320. It created enough dirty air between the two that by New Mexico it had worked the license tag loose and flew off. I heard it start rattling then quit so I pulled over and luckily saw it laying in the interstate about 75 yards back.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John Ranalletta

Sounds right. Hadn’t thought about that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...