IGNORED

Michelin tires

92Merc

Not wanting to hijack the suspension thread, so what is the verdict then on the PR5 tires from Michelin?  Are they "officially" fine for the 2014+ RT?

My front is getting down there.  Rear will be within 4k miles.  I'd like to order both.  Not caring for the Metzler Roadtec 01 tires as they are noisy.

I just bought a PR4 GT front for the wife's bike since they didn't have a GT spec PR5.

Or are the GT's still "coming soon"??

54 minutes ago, 92Merc said:

Not wanting to hijack the suspension thread, so what is the verdict then on the PR5 tires from Michelin?  Are they "officially" fine for the 2014+ RT?

My front is getting down there.  Rear will be within 4k miles.  I'd like to order both.  Not caring for the Metzler Roadtec 01 tires as they are noisy.

I just bought a PR4 GT front for the wife's bike since they didn't have a GT spec PR5.

Or are the GT's still "coming soon"??

The Michelin rep told me the Road 5 GT would be released November/December for the Road 5.  A bud had a pair of Road 5 on his 12R1200RT, he said the Road 5's are noisy but a good tire in dry and wet.  Another bud had them installed on his 18R1200RT at the National, boy did he pay up. 

Jay

I am curious as well and I think some havea lready run them on the RT, so they can answer your main question.  If you get your tires and have them mounted at the dealer, they may not agree to put RP5s on your bike because Michelin does not support putting them on the RT.

I have 6,500 miles on a set of Road 5's on my 2014RT and have been happy with the ride. Only pushed hard occasionally and seldom in the rain. Mostly one up with little luggage. The odd thing is it looks like the front tire will wear out before the rear as the shoulders are wearing down. This has not happened in the past with PR4 GT's where it was always the rear that went first. I got 12,000 miles out of two sets of the PR4 GT's and will be surprised if the Road 5 front makes it to 10,000 miles. I have always run 36/42 pounds in the past, might try upping the pressure on the front.

fullsizeoutput_12ef.jpeg

Yeah, I'll need a new front within 1k miles.  Rear probably more at 4k miles or so.

I'm going to have the PR4 mounted on my wife's bike and see what she thinks of the noise of that tire.  If it's fine, I might just order a set of PR4's for me for now.

Thanks for those updates.  I hadn't heard anything about when the 5 GT's were coming out.

Have you considered the Continental RoadAttack 3 GT?

I've done Michelin PR3 and 4 on an older RT.  I have Metzeler Z8 (bike came with them) and Roadtech 01 on my wethead as well.  I am now on my second set of Conti RoadAttack 3 GT and I like them best so far.

MichiganBob

I'm interested in a quiet, good traction tire as well. Surely, both of these elements can be found in a tire.

B

I have run a few sets of Michelin Road 5’s on my ‘15.  Really like the tires except for the lousy tread life.  The last set was to the wear bars front and rear at 4100 miles.  I out a set of Conti Road Attack 3 GT’s on and riding the same roads got 6000 miles before getting to the wear bars.  I like them as well as the Road 5’s and really appreciate the longer tread life.  When/if we ever see a Road 5 GT I will definitely give them a try but for now the Contis are my choice.

19 hours ago, 92Merc said:

No, I haven't.  How are they for noise compared to the Roadtec 01's?

Conti's have been silent and very smooth.  They hold a line well too.  I have a lot of confidence with them.

The RoadTec 01 was the loudest tire I've ever heard.

9 minutes ago, alegerlotz said:

Conti's have been silent and very smooth.  They hold a line well too.  I have a lot of confidence with them.

The RoadTec 01 was the loudest tire I've ever heard.

Thanks.   I think I'll order a set of those.  I need a front for sure for my trip to Colorado in August.

• Like 1
On 6/19/2019 at 4:03 PM, Roadking1 said:

I have 6,500 miles on a set of Road 5's on my 2014RT and have been happy with the ride. Only pushed hard occasionally and seldom in the rain. Mostly one up with little luggage. The odd thing is it looks like the front tire will wear out before the rear as the shoulders are wearing down. This has not happened in the past with PR4 GT's where it was always the rear that went first. I got 12,000 miles out of two sets of the PR4 GT's and will be surprised if the Road 5 front makes it to 10,000 miles. I have always run 36/42 pounds in the past, might try upping the pressure on the front.

fullsizeoutput_12ef.jpeg

On 6/19/2019 at 4:03 PM, Roadking1 said:

Are these  Road 5 GT’s?

• 3 weeks later...

If you can wait for the 5 GT's that is coming out in the end of the year, good.  For now I would just stay with the PR4's GT.  They are perfect for RTs. IMHO. 

• 2 months later...

Two weeks ago, I tried to order Michelin Road 5 GT's for my 2017 RT, only to find that they were out of the front tire and didn't expect to get more until early next year.  So I went back to the Pilot Road 4GT's, which were mounted this past Sunday.

I had two sets of Michelin Road 5's (not GT) and got 6,000 miles on the last set, which were changed out without reaching the wear bars due to a trip to California...and I sure didn't want to have to get tires while on a trip like that.  

The tires I just took off were Continental Road Attack 3's, which I liked until around 4000 miles, when they rather suddenly became intolerable in handling characteristics and increasing noise.  Has anyone else worn out a front tire before a rear tire?...I never have before this one.  Is it possible I've been riding too many twisties and braking too much....if that's the case, then so be it!  :5223:     (and yes, pressures maintained at 36F/42R)

ummm, just a report... I had Michelins on my '14 and they were OK. I went to Pirelli Angel GT's and was amazed at the far better ride, response and wear... just sayn'

7 hours ago, bimmer2 said:

...Has anyone else worn out a front tire before a rear tire?...I never have before this one.  Is it possible I've been riding too many twisties and braking too much....if that's the case, then so be it!  :5223:     (and yes, pressures maintained at 36F/42R)

When I lived in New Hampshire I wore out two Michelin PR4 front tires in the same time as one rear tire on my 2005 RT (~4500 mi for the first front tire and ~6K for the second one).  I was running stock pressures (36/42) and the front tires wore down to a point (the hard center rubber was pretty good, but the softer side rubber wore much faster).  After the first tire wore, I upped the pressure to 38 in the front and got an extra bit of mileage out of the second one.  Riding was a combination of commuting and solo touring.

I now live in Southern California and run 40/42 for pressure.  On this bike, with these pressures, I wear out the front and rear tire at about the same time - usually 6K - 8K miles.  I ride a lot of Canyons and my 2016RT is in Dynamic mode all the time.  I don't have a commute here, so most rides are for the fun of it (aka ride it like you stole it).  I do trail brake, so that may contribute to the tire wear.

I no longer use Michelin tires.  IMO they are over hyped and over priced (along with the whole GT vs Non GT on an RT, even though the weight ratings of both tires are the same).  I've tried a variety of different brands and have settled on the Continental Road Attack 3 for now.  When something else comes out that claims to be far superior, I might try that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tire threads can be endless with miracles claimed and tires cursed on every brand imaginable.  I've been on Michelins since 2004.  They work for me.  Yes they cost more.  Grip is very good and I always...always get 12000 miles and more.  I change them out at 12k service intervals.  I have ran them to 14,000.  I am sure others get less mileage and are baffled when I post my mileage, but my mileage is consistent across 4 different bikes.  My buddy on his FJR and Tenere has the same experience as me.

1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

.  I am sure others get less mileage and are baffled when I post my mileage,

Yes, I am one of them. 6000 usable miles from mine. After that there is plenty of tread, but no life. The tyres behave dreadfully.

I'm new here.  But not to motorcycling.

I bought a used 16 R1200RT and really enjoy riding it.  It had a Dunlop on the back and a brand new PR5 non-GT on the front, but the back had nails in it so I bought a non GT PR5 for the back. 

Only riding it one up with no saddlebags but riding it pretty hard in the Hill Country.  Have not noticed any noise, but my other bike is a Harley.  Have not noticed any bad handling, but seriously, my other bike is a Harley.

Have not noticed any weird wear patterns in over 6k of miles.  I put non-GT PR5's on my Wethead and the bike neither imploded nor wiped out under hard riding.  5k miles does not look like it shows in treadwear.  Running 38F/45R pressure.

I'm getting ready to replace my shoes soon again.  I got 11,000 Miles on my first set of PR4-GT and to be honest I don't think the PR5-GT is going to last that much.  I can see everyone already complaining of the front tires wearing first.  I already have 11,000 on this second set and I can push another 1000. I'm staying with the PR4-GT.  The best tires I ever had.  

Corazon de Pollo

The Michelin Road 5 GT (not Pilot Road ;)) has been available in some European markets from September 19. I installed a set on September 26. They are about 10% more expensive than Pilot Road 4  GT. I’ll wait for a full judgment because they could be the cause of the electronic gremlins my bike has suffered, but know two thing. First, they are phenomenal on wet pavements. Second, they handle very close to the old Michelin Power One track tyre, meaning they lean a lot and are seriously fast. To be continued. (?) ;)

2 hours ago, Corazon de Pollo said:

..... I’ll wait for a full judgment because they could be the cause of the electronic gremlins my bike has suffered,...

Explain?

Let me guess, tire pressure sensors?

While I know little on the subject per say, I can see tire cords, wrapping pattern, and composition of said wire cord could set up some type of interference?  I assume they use USB to talk?

Curios to the response as I have read others think the same thing after tire changes.

Corazon de Pollo
1 hour ago, AndyS said:

Explain?

Weird random ESA and traction control warnings. There’s a very remote possibility tyre size and/or flex under load can cause that kind of issues but we’ll have to wait a few days for a diagnosis. Still this morning I’ve already ridden about 300km (toilet and tea break now) and absolutely no complaint about the tyres. Absolutely amazing so far in all conditions, even with the bike loaded as a pack mule. 

6 hours ago, Corazon de Pollo said:

First, they are phenomenal on wet pavements. 

Do they slide less on wet pavement than previous tires?

I ask this when I see posts about how good Michelin tires are in the wet. I have run 4 different tires on my RT, and ridden in light rain to monsoon conditions. I have never had a tire slip in the wet. 

• Like 1
Corazon de Pollo
54 minutes ago, realshelby said:

I ask this when I see posts about how good Michelin tires are in the wet. I have run 4 different tires on my RT, and ridden in light rain to monsoon conditions. I have never had a tire slip in the wet. 

The “problem” is they have so much grip on wet pavement you’ll be tempted to stuff you are not supposed to do in those conditions. Really impressive, and I’ve had every single member of the Michelin Pilot Road family bar the first one plus the latest offerings from Bridgestone and Metzeler. All very satisfactory but the Road 5 seems to have upped the game.

Again, I don't understand the "Michelin" grip in the wet. "So much grip" is fine, but I find the other brands have "so much grip" too. 

Bluntly, I would have to say one or more of the tires I have run moved under me in wet conditions for me to say they are not as good as another tire. 

Saying they have "upped the game" indicates they stick better in the wet?  Which tells me the other ones....were not as good in wet conditions and did move around some? 

Michelin propaganda always points to their seemingly exclusive wet traction  advantages. I have nothing against Michelin beyond they price they charge for them.  I have run them. I just don't believe they are the only tire that gives complete confidence in wet conditions. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, realshelby said:

I tend to spin my rear tire in the rain probably more than I should. Every bike, every tire. I use it to judge the rain grip of a tire. What is the feel when it lets loose and gains traction again. Road raced for 18 years with and without rain tires. I liked Dunlop rains more than Michelin.

My personal preference is Metzeler and Michelin for street tires in the rain. Not to say there are not other tires that work well in the rain. I have ridden some that I did not like - my 2011 RT had Bridgestones - did not like them in the rain. Not unrideable, but not what I like in the rain.

That being said, unless ridden back to back it could be difficult to say how much more grip one tire has than another, such as PR4 vs 5.

• Like 2
On 10/11/2019 at 8:57 AM, realshelby said:

... Michelin propaganda always points to their seemingly exclusive wet traction  advantages. I have nothing against Michelin beyond they price they charge for them.  I have run them. I just don't believe they are the only tire that gives complete confidence in wet conditions. 

If every golf ball I ever bought actually did go 30 yards farther than the everyone else's (including their prior offerings).... I'd drive every shot a dead straight 500 yards.

If every insurance company actually saved me about $300 over the competitors... I'd be getting a check back instead of having to pay.

If these  PR5 (GT because your RT will explode if you run the non GT version...) grips so much better than everyone else's tires... you'll be able to do that stunt you saw in a cartoon.

I haven't ridden the PR5 GT myself, but based on my prior experience with the PR3 and PR4, I'll stack the claimed 'wet grip' against a Metzeler Roadtec 01 any day of the week.  Bring your ear plugs, because they're loud, but they stick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2