IGNORED

Emergency flashers will not turn off

Capt'n

I started up my 96 R1100RT after a long NH winter and it started faithfully right up as usual. I checked the direction lights, high to low beam and then the emergency flashers. Everything works but then I went to switch off the emergency flashers and they will not stop flashing. I turned off the engine and disconnected the battery. Everything went out as it should but when I reconnected the battery, the flashers came back on and still will not go out. I bypassed the switch and still the flashers stay on.   Has anyone every else seen this same issue?   Could it be a relay somewhere?

17 minutes ago, Capt'n said:

I started up my 96 R1100RT after a long NH winter and it started faithfully right up as usual. I checked the direction lights, high to low beam and then the emergency flashers. Everything works but then I went to switch off the emergency flashers and they will not stop flashing. I turned off the engine and disconnected the battery. Everything went out as it should but when I reconnected the battery, the flashers came back on and still will not go out. I bypassed the switch and still the flashers stay on.   Has anyone every else seen this same issue?   Could it be a relay somewhere?

Evening Capt'n

Remove the turn signal flasher relay to see if they quit  (in the fuse box on R/H end of center row)

If they then quit you will have to try & figure out if that flasher relay is the problem or if it is something external (like emergency flasher switch).

spacewrench

If you figure out that it's the relay, I put one from my R1100S up on fleaBay the other day.  I probably underpriced it, since there's other ones selling for ~$50.  If I'd known an actual rider needed it, I'd probably have just mailed it out, but if it's what you need, at least you can get it a little cheaper than the regular eBay price.
Auction here.

Actually, I just realized I set the Buy It Now price at $20.  So I think you can get it for that and not screw around with trying to outbid somebody else.

Edited by spacewrench
Extra info