IGNORED

NAV VI updates

Red

My Nav VI on my 2018 RTW flashed a message yesterday stating that I should go to their website and download an update.  First, I'm disappointed BMW does not include free updates for the warranty period of the bike.  Second is a question, has anyone else updated?  Did you notice anything different?  Is it just road information or does the unit operate differently or have more features?  Is it worth the cost?

There is no cost Red. It's part of the NAV 6 ! Just hook it up to your computer and download the updater program. Functionality is improved along with the maps. Takes a while, be patient.

Bill_Walker

Install Garmin Express on your computer.  Plug in your NAV VI via the provided Garmin USB cable and wait a bit for it to connect.  Using Garmin Express, add the device and select your NAV VI.  It'll tell you whether there are updates (sometimes, in my experience with GE on a Mac, it'll tell you about updates again after you've already installed them) with a little number next to the device.  Click on the NAV VI icon for details, then click on the Update button.  If you're planning to use BaseCamp for planning routes and downloading them to your NAV VI, before you click Update, click the Installation Options button and choose the option to install the map update on both the NAV VI and on your computer.  None of this costs a penny.  Your NAV VI comes with Lifetime Map updates.

• Like 1
Bill_Walker

The only update message I've seen on the device itself is one saying that your maps are over a year old and should be updated.  But the update process may also install software updates on the device.  My Garmin Express is currently showing, for my Zumo 660, the 2020.10 map update (Garmin maps are always numbered for the following year, for some reason), a "GPS Chipset Type M" firmware update, and a Time Zone Map update.  I've already installed all of these, but Garmin Express seems to have trouble remembering what you've installed when your GPS isn't connected to the computer.

All Software updates have always been free on Garmin/Navigator GPS's. A Software update is not the same as a Map update.

Unfortunate, here in Australia the Navigator "V" (I don't know about the others), do not have a life time free map update included, as has been the norm for years and years on the normal Garmin GPS devices.

PSo my Navigator "V" still runs the original 2014 Map from when I bought the bike.

Here in Australia, there is a major road upgrade on the Pacific Highway between Sydney to Brisbane happening for years and even our car GPS's that I update regular (Life time free updates), can't keep up with the changes.

54 minutes ago, Alfred02 said:

Here in Australia, there is a major road upgrade on the Pacific Highway between Sydney to Brisbane happening for years and even our car GPS's that I update regular (Life time free updates), can't keep up with the changes.

Evening Alfred02

You might try the OpenMapChest as a secondary map to your Garmin map.

I use OpenMapChest for a good part of my routing here in the US as it is WAY more up to date than even the newest Garmin mapping. 

There is an Australian OpenMapChest  routable map available but I know nothing about it's accuracy.

OpenMapChest mapping if free for the download but with a small donation the downloading goes much smoother.

To me the great thing about the OpenMapChest mapping is that is updated & kept current by everyday users in the regions that the map is built for (updated very often plus is usually very accurate).

https://www.openmapchest.org/

Thanks dirtrider

For others, here are more free maps that will definitely work at least with my Navigator V. These are also free and the same deal, a small donation to help maintain the download Servers but you don't have to donate, it's up to you.

These maps are according to others even ahead of Google Maps in regards that they are updated quicker.

Instructions are on their Website and you can download maps for your Basecamp as well, that comes with it's own installer for Basecamp.

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

The above map source is great in regards that you can choose tiles, so you don't have to as an example install all of Australia and New Zealand, but you can choose to install just the tiles for a single or two or three.........states.

I have just updated my Navigator V with the 05-2019 Map for Australia.

Garmin wants over AUS $180,- for each update.

So we are starting to get some options now.

30 minutes ago, Alfred02 said:

Thanks dirtrider

For others, here are more free maps that will definitely work at least with my Navigator V. These are also free and the same deal, a small donation to help maintain the download Servers but you don't have to donate, it's up to you.

These maps are according to others even ahead of Google Maps in regards that they are updated quicker.

Instructions are on their Website and you can download maps for your Basecamp as well, that comes with it's own installer for Basecamp.

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

The above map source is great in regards that you can choose tiles, so you don't have to as an example install all of Australia and New Zealand, but you can choose to install just the tiles for a single or two or three.........states.

I have just updated my Navigator V with the 05-2019 Map for Australia.

Garmin wants over AUS $180,- for each update.

So we are starting to get some options now.

Afternoon Alfred02

OpenMapChest & Open Street are based on the same (open source)  base map set. If you pay the small donation you can download the Basecamp/MapSource  version of OpenMapChest to your computer then load the area tiles that you want with either MapSource or using Basecamp Map install.

My personal choice is the OpenMapChest version as it contains less of (to me anyhow useless) layers that contain all those unneeded  layers  (useless things) that are not needed  for motorcycling that clutter up the GPS screen when zoomed in.

The upside to the Open Street is you can go in & tailor the overlays to your liking, like change the road colors, add or delete things like walking paths, picnic areas, foot trails,  change the road & street line widths, change background colors, change the detail level that certain items appear on the screen while riding, etc.   

I used to do the OpenStreet maps with my own custom changes to eliminate a lot of screen clutter then change some colors, change some road line deatail  so things didn't all look like rivers & lakes.

I find that with OpenMapChest I get the same mapping as Open Street with most of the useless clutter already removed.

Now if a rider likes & uses the extra clutter on the Open Street mapping , likes the bright colors,  or has the time & talent to make the changes then OpenStreet is probably a better starting choice.

There you go..I didn't know the difference.

I try OpenMapChest the next time and see how it goes.

The late reply is due to me having been away for work. I just got back.

Thanks Bill,

Installing version 6.14.20 as I type.  Says it could take 2 hours.  If a person actually read all the terms of service and other disclosures, it could take all day.

Well, it was not a trouble free experience.  Since it was going to take several hours and it was past bed time, I chose to leave the computer on, let the program run, and finish up in the AM like I do when Bill Gates sends me 23 updates that will take 6 hours to run.  In the AM I return to my devise and it appears things are still down loading?  Hmmm  I wait and watch for a couple of hours and no progress on the thyme remaining or % of mission accomplished.  I call Gar men.  Oh, there may have been an inter ruption in your down load.  Sure enough, sheet didn't go smoothly and the process quit mid process.  I had to re boot, restart, and re try.  In about a half an hour I think I have an update.  Have yet to take the new outfit for a ride to see if all is well.  THANKS Bill for the advise and encouragement to get er dun.  

• Like 1
Bill_Walker

Sorry I forgot to mention that you should set your computer to NOT sleep during the map install process, because it takes a long time.  Garmin's app (at least on a Mac) doesn't seem to cancel sleep on its own, which is stupid when they're telling you it'll take hours.  But if your computer goes to sleep, you're toast, as you've discovered.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...
Dennis Andress

@dirtrider QMapShack is an open source mapping tool that would take the place of BaseCamp. I've made a few routes with it and uploaded them to a Garmin GPS, and had them work! The only glitch is I don't see a need, and don't have, a GPS on my bike.