IGNORED

Stupid @$%@#$% Audio question

Matts_12GS

I'm a few months into riding my 2013 GS-LC bike, and I love the bike and the integration with the wonder wheel, etc. I use my phone to stream music and calls to my NAV VI so I can hear them on the Sena 20S.  I'm having an issue with getting consistent connections and I'm looking for some assistance to make sure that I'm not chasing my tail on getting this setup. 

My Setup:

• my bike does NOT have the TFT.
  • I have the Garmin Smartphone Link app installed.
  • My Sena 20S is paired to the Nav VI
  • My android phone is paired to the Nav VI

My Process:

1. I start the bike and let the GPS power up, and then connect to the Phone/Garmin App
  2. I start my music player app on the phone
  3. I connect my Sena headset to the Nav VI and (eventually) hear the "device connected" message. 
  4. I go to the music player app on the GPS menu to see if I have the ability to FFW/REW tracks from that interface.

The Problem:

Sometimes I get the controls, sometimes I don't. I have just removed the BMW Motorrad Connected app since I don't have the TFT dash on the bike. 

So, how do I do this to get consistent controls so I'm not pulling a glove off at speed to advance past tracks I don't like? 

Kerry in Mpls

My sequence on my 2016 R12GSW + NAV VI, iPhone6, Sena20:

Ensure Smartlink app is running on my iPhone.

Power on bike, which powers on NAV VI which starts pairing with phone app.

Power on Sena 20S, NAV VI pairs with it.

(other sequences may also work, but I use this sequence consistently)

At this point, in the Settings --> Bluetooth menu on the NAV VI, the phone submenu should show all four boxes checked and the Sena submenu should show all three boxes checked.

For me, on rare occasion one of the boxes will not be checked, for some reason. Sometimes I can manually check the box to fix it, but sometimes it will not "stick". In this case, I go up one menu and use the master Bluetooth checkbox to entirely disable Bluetooth and then re-enable it. Everything then gets autodiscovered and fully reconnected. Toggling the Bluetooth master always seems to fix this specific problem (all boxes checked), and it stays fixed for the entire ride. A missing checked box only happens for me maybe one in ten rides, but that is frequent enough that I take a look before every ride.

I haven't seen your specific symptom (prev/next controls unavailable), but when it occurs for you, maybe you could take a look at these checkboxes to see if any have gone unchecked,. If so, try toggling the master Bluetooth enable off and back on to see if they come back, maybe that will wake up your prev/next controls too.

Thanks Kerry!

I'll go down to the parking garage and test all these theses,. Details to come