IGNORED

03 rt power brake question

joeb

Hi all. It's been a while since I bled the brakes.  03 1150rt .I have the procedure on my phone to review but before I delve into it, a question. My brakes do the typical wheeze sound but lately I've noticed a squeak , like a pulley.  Is it possible the fluid level could be low in the pump reservoir? Can I open the filler caps and check or will that introduce air to system ? The brakes work great but I am a little paranoid about failure after reading  all the gloom and doom . Thanks much

32 minutes ago, joeb said:

Hi all. It's been a while since I bled the brakes.  03 1150rt .I have the procedure on my phone to review but before I delve into it, a question. My brakes do the typical wheeze sound but lately I've noticed a squeak , like a pulley.  Is it possible the fluid level could be low in the pump reservoir? Can I open the filler caps and check or will that introduce air to system ? The brakes work great but I am a little paranoid about failure after reading  all the gloom and doom . Thanks much

Afternoon Joeb

Can you explain the squeak in a bit more detail?

As a rule if you are low on brake fluid in the servo part of the system the dash brake light will illuminate.

Might be your alternator belt squealing due the servo pump added electrical load.

Can you tell exactly where the squeak is coming from on the bike?  

It sounds like a pulley and near the front of engine.the reason i even thought brskes is bcause it goes away when i squeeze the brake lever. Supppse ot could be coincidence.  No fault indications on display. Think ill check the belt.

7 minutes ago, joeb said:

It sounds like a pulley and near the front of engine.the reason i even thought brskes is bcause it goes away when i squeeze the brake lever. Supppse ot could be coincidence.  No fault indications on display. Think ill check the belt.

Afternoon Joeb

So the noise is there with engine running without using the brakes but goes away when you apply the brakes?

That does sound more like loose or slipping belt than a brake issue. 

Thanks , ill check out the belt. 

About the belt, I've seen it replaced without loosening the alternator by forcing it over the pulley. Is this legit or will it damage something ?

Just now, joeb said:

Thanks , ill check out the belt. 

About the belt, I've seen it replaced without loosening the alternator by forcing it over the pulley. Is this legit or will it damage something ?

Afternoon Joeb

Yes, no, maybe so--

It depends  on the belt, if the elastomer belt then you can sometimes rotate it over the pulley, if a poly-v belt then not a chance.

It can also depend of if your alternator spacing to the lower pulley is correct.

I have seen a number of belt issues on the  1150 bikes when someone in the past has installed the elastomer belt using the 1/4 twist method, or used the torque the adjustment bolt method.  (both incorrect for an elastomer belt)

The proper way to install & adjust an elastomer belt is to do it by correct upper/lower  pulley spacing.

If I remember correctly from the last time I put a belt on, the manual said to use a specific torque setting on the alternator adjust bolt. I could never figure how to get a torque wrench on that bolt, so I just went with belt tension that felt correct. I'll have to see if my HAYNES manual Has the spacing spec. Thanks for the info.

25 minutes ago, joeb said:

If I remember correctly from the last time I put a belt on, the manual said to use a specific torque setting on the alternator adjust bolt. I could never figure how to get a torque wrench on that bolt, so I just went with belt tension that felt correct. I'll have to see if my HAYNES manual Has the spacing spec. Thanks for the info.

Afternoon Joeb

What belt did you install? The elastomer or the poly-v? ---- Makes a BIG difference on how you adjust it.

The 2003 1150RT is a strange animal when it comes to belts. The early 2003 came with a non-free-wheeling alternator pulley & poly-v belt, the late 2003 1150RT came with a free-wheeling alternator pulley & the elastomer belt, a few came with the free-wheeling pulley & the poly-v belt that was supposed to be changed to the elastomer belt at first belt change.

It all boils down to (IF) the bike has the free-wheeling alternator pulley.

Dont know. if it is free wheeling should i be able to spin it easily in one direction?

Btw BMW. Way to complicate a belt

2 minutes ago, joeb said:

Dont know. if it is free wheeling should i be able to spin it easily in one direction?

Btw BMW. Way to complicate a belt

Afternoon Joeb

Yes, it will only turn in one direction (will free-wheel in the other direction)

The free-wheeling pulley should also have a black plastic cover on the front & if you remove the cover you should be able to see the internal splines in the pulley hub (no hex nut)

The standard solid pulley will not have that cover & should have a large hex nut holding the pulley on.