IGNORED

Ride RT home to Michigan from San Diego

Redman

I have not posted much in last couple years.

I am the goofy guy from Michigan that got a 2002 R1150RT in 2015 to have at my daughters place in San Diego (later Oceanside) to use when visit there.

A couple years we visited only once a year (February) and more recent years (since we retired) have visited two or three times a year. SOme of those times I have posted pics of day rides out into the canyons there around SanDiego and/or Oceanside.

Well, now was the time to either sell the bike from there.... or.... (my other grand plan) time to ride it home to west Michigan, 2300 miles at least.  So I followed through on my plan to ride it back home.

The SanDiego dealer was great (as they were when they helped me out in 2015). They came and picked up the bike, put on a set of tires (PR4) and did the annaul service (all fluid change) (since that hadnt been done sine they did it in 2015). That way, as soon as I flew in the bike was ready.

Departed Oceanside Friday May 31s, and made it home yesterday (June 8th).

I will post some pics of the cross country trip over the next few postings.

• Like 1

maybe.... I'll just post pics, then come back and comment on location. I dont really intend to  write a day to day description or make some long ride report.

06M8coy.jpg

yy8WiEk.jpg

• Like 1

Zion NP was the one thing on my list of what wanted to do-see.

About as much of intnerary as I had was this:

- From Oceanside, head out to Borrenga Springs area (that was the last thing on the SanDiego Owners Club map that I had not been to in all my previous rides).

- Visit Zion Nation Park. Maybe Bryce Canyon NP.

- Not take all slab, take some US50. Maybe alternalte between US50 and I70. 

That was my total itinerary, which to some folks is NO itinerary.

Okay, I will shut up and get back to pics.

Zion Nat Pk.

Came in the weast entreance about 830-9am. Was little traffic and could easy stop on side of road for pictures.

zkDrXx7.jpg

vMVyTwC.jpg

sYD9CF4.jpg

QWiRiO6.jpg

fTt92SQ.jpg

EECmgvc.jpg

• Like 1

THe center of the Zion is the main road, but that is closed to traffic, is the shuttle busses only (which woprked well, I thought).

Rode the shuttle buss, and got off at a couple very intersting places, but I will not bother to post about that here.

Based on high recomendation of my son, who did this a few years ago, I also wanted to ride a road to the west of the park that comes back into the very north westcorner of trhe park.

ANd goes up to Kolob Resivour.

ap54cPm.jpg

FFxTEYb.jpg

• Like 1

Next day did go theru Bryce.

THe road in bryce is along the rim of the canyon, aways from the rim, cant see much from the road. Typically have to park in a prking lot, and walk to some viewing area to see any of the canyon. Which is great if you came to see stuff. Not so great for a good ride. 

So I took on the challange of finding at least some place to get a picture of bike and something of the canyon. Only found two places with some view from the road side. Here are pics fom one pf those places.

d9xLASR.jpg

wB7W01r.jpg

• Like 1

I do have many more pics. Just quickly chose a few.

Some others were better, maybe I will get back with those.

US50 thru Colrado was great.

Was seeing snow peaked mountain topps in distance, then up closer and taking up more of my view.

Monark pass.... oh, I was not prepared for that. Went up to 11,300 feet.

qxyo6jJ.jpg

76wMT22.jpg

First time in my 40 year riding carreer to be riding along and watch a snowboarder going along the hill somewaht next to me.

And, later in the day, another first: to see two moose on side of road.

• Like 1

Stayed on US 50 thru eastern COlorado and most of the way thru Kansas.

Some of the small towns were intersting (some depressing).

Some other things along the way

L9yTyxB.jpg

GQ5K9c8.jpg

• Like 2

And then in eastern Kansas, US 50 joins back with I70, to go thru KansasCity and into Missouri.

Part way across Missouri, the mo'ckle ride ended.

After calling dealership in St Loiuus (about 40 miles away). He was friendly and knowodgable, but offered no acceptable options. 

And the adventure became one of finding a truck to rent.

And then get some tie down straps and a plank, and get back to the bike, get it loaded, and get home (550 miles) , get it unloaded, and get truck tuned in to rental place 20 miles from home in less than 20 hours before the place closed.

More about the failure in another post .

(Hint: Its not the clutch hub / xmission input shaft. That was in 2015.) (Oh... now you remember me.) 

I got a truck in about 2 hours (after one place didnt have what I had reserved). GOt tie down straps and a plank. Found my way back to where the bike was. FOund a good ditch to back down it too. BUt still needed help. Harley rider showed up and was glad to help (said he would have fun telling his budys about it).

CDEEp24.jpg

Not too happy. 2nd major catostrophic failure.

But was back underway in about 3 1/2 hours.

I learnt some time ago, that is why a 2002 RT was within my price range.

And now it is costing me more - again.

Drove the rest of the afternoon, thru the eveniong, and into the night  .....  Stopped a lot to cheack straps, rearanged the bike and straps once. Stopped and got better straps. Then drovefurter without checking strpas. Took a 1 1/2 hourt nap, then drove the rest of night. GOt home just aftger sunrize.

wd5BqXD.jpg

Took another hour nap, got it unloaded, and got truck back with an hour to spare.

Also, you can see here, this isnt the full size pickup they said it was.

• Sad 2

I will post more about the failure in an other post. .

Lets not clog up this thread with that discussion.

THis thread is for the pictures and to discuss the ride

Later Note:

Here is the posting about the failure

Edited by Redman
add link to posting
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the ride along Redman!  Enjoyed all the photographs.   :thumbsup:

Gotta lOvE being a beta tester for BMW

On 7/19/2019 at 9:35 PM, RandyShields said:

That leak looks like the notorious final drive failure.

Yep.

Discuss that, and pics, in this other thread

barryNmarin

I feel your pain Redman!   In 154K miles I've been beached by my 04RT twice; input shaft in Alberta  and drive shaft failure in Wyoming. Both times I was over 1000 miles from home.    Each time I got the bike repaired and back on the road.  I still love to  ride the old RT but I do it more locally now.  For the long trips I've got a new RT (2018).  Thanks for sharing the photos of your trip back to Michigan.  That is a beautiful route until you get east of Colorado.

On 7/24/2019 at 11:04 AM, barryNmarin said:

I feel your pain Redman!   In 154K miles I've been beached by my 04RT twice; input shaft in Alberta  and drive shaft failure in Wyoming ...............

Yep.

Xmission input shaft/ clutch hub. and now the final drive. All in about 5000 miles.

Well, at least I havent had wizzy brake failure, and it doesnt surge.

(see my other posting, has info about the repair of the final drive)