Sign in to follow this  
Twisties

In Good Hands

Twisties

So often you hear the younger generations put down.  I'm here to tell you, I've been privileged to work with some super talented and hard working kids these last few years.  I think the future is in good hands.  Just thinking, as some graduate, that their parents have worked hard, seen their dreams for their kids come alive, and should be proud.

• Like 5

Oldironken

Here at work we are on the verge of a Silver Tsunami, me being one of them.  Over the last couple of years we have gone on a hiring spurt growing from 160 to over 200 and still hiring, most are young graduates, all are bright and hard working.  When i retire from here i'll have no financial incentive to care what happens, but i will have more than a 25 year emotional attachment,  i am confident in the companies future.  

Paul De

Every generation has slackers to super heroes in their cohort.  The big difference is to understand that we are moving from a hard won knowledge culture to an access to knowledge culture.  Critical thinking skills are even more important now than before to deal with the information glut. So what seems like whippersnapper attitudes to us older folks is as much a function of our stagnation than the young folks not taking the time to learn skills the old fashion way.   However, I sure wouldn't want a 25 year old doing an appendectomy on me after they watch a how to on Youtube :5150:

Rinkydink

My main concern is the young’s inability to complete a task without first checking their smartphone. Retail clerks from Walmart to my local liquor store place current texts over actual personal human interaction. Rude and insensitive. 

I have become my father....a curmudgeon. 

Antimatter

Daily experience for me:  I open my mouth, and my cranky, old grandfather comes out.  Damnedest thing.

• Like 1

Paul De
On 7/17/2019 at 10:34 PM, Rinkydink said:

My main concern is the young’s inability to complete a task without first checking their smartphone. Retail clerks from Walmart to my local liquor store place current texts over actual personal human interaction. Rude and insensitive. 

I have become my father....a curmudgeon. 

Haha.  My older brother has taken his three children, now all pushing the 30 yo mark to the edge of the Boundry Waters Canoe Area/Quetico every year since they were toddlers. My wife and I have joined them from time to time.  It was hilarious watching them as teenagers/20ish walk around cell phone overhead looking for "the signal".  I would tease them that we put a man on the moon with a sliderule (had to explain the device to them).   After about a week they realized they didn't die and got over their FOMO.  Wouldn't you know it these almost 30 year olds still look forward to the family trip to the BWCA every year and happily shut the cell phones down.

• Like 1

Rider1200RT

I am also seeing more young people interested in vocational trades and working with their hands. Particularly in wood boat building. Several excellent video's on U-toob. I think that the pendulum is starting to swing back a bit. Maybe I am too optimistic about that but there is hope for the future....