IGNORED

Thread locker or new micro-encapsulated screws?

Twisties

Got my wheel back from Woodies after I dented it at Weaverville and was looking forward to mounting it today.  I opened up the Reprom and found the discs are supposed to be mounted with new micro-encapsulated screws.  I haven't looked yet, but I doubt the cost is an issue, however, I was looking forward to a ride this afternoon... can I use the existing screws with a threadlocker?  Do I need to use red?  The micro-encapsulated stuff says heat to 80C for release, my permatex red says something more like 280C.... arrrgggg.... do I want that in there?  Would blue work?  @dirtrider

1 hour ago, Twisties said:

Got my wheel back from Woodies after I dented it at Weaverville and was looking forward to mounting it today.  I opened up the Reprom and found the discs are supposed to be mounted with new micro-encapsulated screws.  I haven't looked yet, but I doubt the cost is an issue, however, I was looking forward to a ride this afternoon... can I use the existing screws with a threadlocker?  Do I need to use red?  The micro-encapsulated stuff says heat to 80C for release, my permatex red says something more like 280C.... arrrgggg.... do I want that in there?  Would blue work?  @dirtrider

Afternoon Jan

LockTite blue will work just fine as long as the threads are clean.

Blue 242 will work but the 242 will take a long time to cure as the wheel hub is alloy & the bolts are stainless steel.

Blue 243 is a better choice as it cures faster on non ferrous applications (reason that BMW specifies 243 on most BMW applications) .

In either case put just a little Loctite on the bolt threads but also put some into the hub hole threads (use a toothpick or similar). Caution: don't use too much LockTite in the hole or on the bolt as it can hydraulic the blind holes open. (screw bolts in slowly to prevent hydraulic damage)

The reason to put some LockTite in/on the hole threads is if only put on the bolt  threads it can be forced out as the bolts are screwed in due to  the air pressure build up in the blind holes.  

• Like 1