IGNORED

Upgraded tool kit

RandyShields

RandyShields

One of the lessons learned on my recent Westward Ho ride was that my tool kit was inadequate.  I had added a few items that proved helpful (e.g., a small wire cutter that helped pull a nail out of a tire), but overall, the set was basically from my 1150 RT.  I didn’t even have the right Torx socket to remove my rear tire.  And after seeing the great set that Whip had put together, I vowed to do the same so I would be better able to take care of myself on rides, as well as help others.  I started with the list of items from the Cruz Tools Road Tech B1 set below:

• Combination wrenches (8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm)
  • E10 x E12 Torx box
  • 8" adjustable wrench
  • Mini ratchet
  • 2" extension
  • Sockets (8mm, 10mm, 13mm, E8 Torx)
  • Hex keys (3mm-6mm, 8mm)
  • Torx keys (T20, T25, T30, T40, T45, T50)
  • 6-in-1 screwdriver with bits
  • 22mm hex adapter
  • Locking pliers
  • Electrical tape
  • Cable ties
  • Mechanics wire
  • Threadlocker
  • Tire pressure gauge
  • 3.5" x 9.5" roll-up polyester pouch

I needed a larger pouch, and purchased a CLC Leathercraft tool roll that I thought was the right size ($13.50 from Amazon).  I substituted a regular size ratchet for the mini, added a 3" and 6" extension instead of the 2", but did not add thread locker.  With a few of these items still on order, I also added: 

• Regular pliers
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Wire cutter pliers
  • Box cutter
  • Gear ties
  • Duct tape
  • Leatherman set with bits
  • Quick set JB 

I can probably eliminate the box cutter since I have a blade on the Leatherman.  I also thought about adding a small hammer.  What do you think guys?  I would appreciate thoughts on that question, as well as any observations or suggestions for this set.  Thanks in advance.

Randy

Upgraded tool set.jpg

Edited by RandyShields
Formatting; omission

Looks good. No hammer, every tool has a hammer side! I would add a small length of duct tape wrapped around something like a golf pencil.  I would ditch the pliers, with the locking needle nose and dikes I doubt I would ever use them. 

RandyShields
2 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

Looks good. No hammer, every tool has a hammer side! I would add a small length of duct tape wrapped around something like a golf pencil.  I would ditch the pliers, with the locking needle nose and dikes I doubt I would ever use them. 

Thanks Mike.  That's the duct tape at the top of the photo inside the roll of electrical tape.  Always a necessity.

RandyShields
1 hour ago, Woodie said:

Do you consider tire patch/plug/compressor solutions?

Well Woodie, that's a great question, but a whole other story.  For years I carried a tire repair kit that included a small compressor with a BMW plug.  Before the trip, I changed it out for a new, compact Slime unit with a 12V plug for a lighter socket.  No problem, I thought, for power, I would use my Powerlet converter that would accept the 12V at one end and the other end was a BMW plug to go into the socket wired directly to the battery.  When my tire developed the leak, we discovered that the converter had failed (after being carried around for 10 years), and I had to rely on the kindness of strangers for a 12V socket.  Worse yet, my tire plugs were not the nice thin Neely ones for a narrow hole, so master tire repairer Edd pulled out the right size and we got the tire plugged and inflated. When the plug blew out later, I had to slice my thicker plugs lengthwise so they would work.  All of that is fixed now with a proper set of plugs and tools, and a new Powerlet converter.

• Sad 1
RandyShields
19 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

Thanks Mike.  That's the duct tape at the top of the photo inside the roll of electrical tape.  Always a necessity.

Looks like when I did my first edit for formatting, the duct tape bullet fell off, so I added it back into the list.

You might want to consider gaffer's tape instead of duct tape.  Gaffer's tape is a heavy cloth tape with a strong adhesive, but it comes off cleanly.  It is used extensively in the TV, film, and theater production industry as well as things like displays at marketing conventions.  I've found that duct tape wrapped on something smaller can be degraded and a bit of a pain to unwrap and use after it's been buried away in the bowels of your bike for a while.

Gaffer's tape comes in several widths, but I bought the 4 pack below which are perfect to carry on your various toys.  

https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Gaffer-Rolls-GafferPower-8yards/dp/B01JQKP0L8/ref=sr_1_36?keywords=gaffer's+tape&qid=1559945102&s=gateway&sr=8-36

• Like 2
RandyShields
1 hour ago, eddd said:

You might want to consider gaffer's tape instead of duct tape.  Gaffer's tape is a heavy cloth tape with a strong adhesive, but it comes off cleanly.  It is used extensively in the TV, film, and theater production industry as well as things like displays at marketing conventions.  I've found that duct tape wrapped on something smaller can be degraded and a bit of a pain to unwrap and use after it's been buried away in the bowels of your bike for a while.

Gaffer's tape comes in several widths, but I bought the 4 pack below which are perfect to carry on your various toys.  

https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Gaffer-Rolls-GafferPower-8yards/dp/B01JQKP0L8/ref=sr_1_36?keywords=gaffer's+tape&qid=1559945102&s=gateway&sr=8-36

Great addition!  Thanks again Edd.

12 hours ago, RandyShields said:

One of the lessons learned on my recent Westward Ho ride was that my tool kit was inadequate.  I had added a few items that proved helpful (e.g., a small wire cutter that helped pull a nail out of a tire), but overall, the set was basically from my 1150 RT.  I didn’t even have the right Torx socket to remove my rear tire.  And after seeing the great set that Whip had put together, I vowed to do the same so I would be better able to take care of myself on rides, as well as help others.  I started with the list of items from the Cruz Tools Road Tech B1 set below:

• Combination wrenches (8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm)
  • E10 x E12 Torx box
  • 8" adjustable wrench
  • Mini ratchet
  • 2" extension
  • Sockets (8mm, 10mm, 13mm, E8 Torx)
  • Hex keys (3mm-6mm, 8mm)
  • Torx keys (T20, T25, T30, T40, T45, T50)
  • 6-in-1 screwdriver with bits
  • 22mm hex adapter
  • Locking pliers
  • Electrical tape
  • Cable ties
  • Mechanics wire
  • Threadlocker
  • Tire pressure gauge
  • 3.5" x 9.5" roll-up polyester pouch

I needed a larger pouch, and purchased a CLC Leathercraft tool roll that I thought was the right size ($13.50 from Amazon).  I substituted a regular size ratchet for the mini, added a 3" and 6" extension instead of the 2", but did not add thread locker.  With a few of these items still on order, I also added: 

• Regular pliers
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Wire cutter pliers
  • Box cutter
  • Gear ties
  • Duct tape
  • Leatherman set with bits
  • Quick set JB 

I can probably eliminate the box cutter since I have a blade on the Leatherman.  I also thought about adding a small hammer.  What do you think guys?  I would appreciate thoughts on that question, as well as any observations or suggestions for this set.  Thanks in advance.

Randy

Evening Randy

You could overhaul the space shuttle with all those tools.

You might add a length of mechanics wire to your kit (very handy for repairing broken parts).

I usually wind the duct tape & electrical tape on a pencil to save space in the kit.

If I am riding long miles at night I try to find a place on the bike (usually the tank bag) to stash a head mounted bright light (one that you can aim the beam) as all those  tools are pretty useless if you can't see what you are doing & still have both hands available. (especially for road side tire repairs). It even helps for loading the bike in the dark.

Of the things that I carry & use most are probably my small (lightweight/cheap) digital volt/ohmmeter (I seem to use that a lot to help other riders in the group with electrical problems). 

The other thing that I seem to use a lot is a thin, lightweight but long tow strap (I carry one in every bike even if not going far). That thing is a lifesaver to tow a dead bike to a safe-to-work lighted area (I have also used it to tie large items on the back of my bike). I even used it to tie up my broken arm with a splint years ago when I crashed my dirt bike 30 miles from nowhere  (30 miles from even a graded gravel road)  & 20 more miles to pavement (this was well before cell phones & SPOT).

Personally I don't like tools with plastic covered handles as the extra plastic takes up precious room in the tool kit & the plastic really isn't needed for occasional usage.

Otherwise you look pretty well healed as far as tools go.  (I don't see a front axle removal tool but you sort of list one) .

I usually stick my tools in double zip lock baggies before storing, if you don't do that they will eventually rust.

One thing I might suggest is to take a couple of extra torx bits that fit the Tupperware screws as Shure as XXX you will drop one into the  bowels of your bike while working never to be found again.

On my larger bikes (big bikes) I usually carry a set of homemade jumper cables (they will usually pack in a plastic zip lock bag right on top of the battery). As a rule I don't on my smaller dirt bikes but those are easy to tow start even in the dirt. A friend on mine carries one of those small jump start packs  (we used it to ride a bike out of the outback that fried a generator stator).

• Like 1
RandyShields
10 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Evening Randy

You could overhaul the space shuttle with all those tools.

You might add a length of mechanics wire to your kit (very handy for repairing broken parts).

I usually wind the duct tape & electrical tape on a pencil to save space in the kit.

If I am riding long miles at night I try to find a place on the bike (usually the tank bag) to stash a head mounted bright light (one that you can aim the beam) as all those  tools are pretty useless if you can't see what you are doing & still have both hands available. (especially for road side tire repairs). It even helps for loading the bike in the dark.

Of the things that I carry & use most are probably my small (lightweight/cheap) digital volt/ohmmeter (I seem to use that a lot to help other riders in the group with electrical problems). 

The other thing that I seem to use a lot is a thin, lightweight but long tow strap (I carry one in every bike even if not going far). That thing is a lifesaver to tow a dead bike to a safe-to-work lighted area (I have also used it to tie large items on the back of my bike). I even used it to tie up my broken arm with a splint years ago when I crashed my dirt bike 30 miles from nowhere  (30 miles from even a graded gravel road)  & 20 more miles to pavement (this was well before cell phones & SPOT).

Personally I don't like tools with plastic covered handles as the extra plastic takes up precious room in the tool kit & the plastic really isn't needed for occasional usage.

Otherwise you look pretty well healed as far as tools go.  (I don't see a front axle removal tool but you sort of list one) .

I usually stick my tools in double zip lock baggies before storing, if you don't do that they will eventually rust.

One thing I might suggest is to take a couple of extra torx bits that fit the Tupperware screws as Shure as XXX you will drop one into the  bowels of your bike while working never to be found again.

On my larger bikes (big bikes) I usually carry a set of homemade jumper cables (they will usually pack in a plastic zip lock bag right on top of the battery). As a rule I don't on my smaller dirt bikes but those are easy to tow start even in the dirt. A friend on mine carries one of those small jump start packs  (we used it to ride a bike out of the outback that fried a generator stator).

Great feedback.  Exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks.  

I do have mechanic's wire.  That was one of the items from the kit I just picked up that is not in the picture. I also have an LED headlamp I carry that but it is not on this list.  Very bright and rechargeable.  Also have extra Torx bits as I have also seen them disappear when working on the bike.  I will add the volt meter, and also like the idea of a tow strap.  Where exactly in OH are you?

Randy

• Like 1

I have all that but also a jump start pack, sometimes, extra screws for the fairings, miscellaneous other parts, a GS911, the repair dc, volt meter, straps, and some other things I have forgot that I have in there.  I don't take the night light as I usually sleep at night and do any repairs in the day time.

An extra and near new fuel pump controller.

Tire repair kit with tiny compressor.

i had forgotten that I had extra fairing screws but I dropped one in the driveway last week which made me check.  I later found the lost one in the driveway. 

I carry all that stuff and never use it.

Two years ago I rode to Torrey with another guy.  He told me he had forgotten his dental floss and had to buy some.  I chagrined him for not asking me.  After I checked I found I had 9 packets of dental floss with me.   Just a lot of extra baggage.

dc

• Like 1
RandyShields
6 hours ago, David13 said:

I have all that but also a jump start pack, sometimes, extra screws for the fairings, miscellaneous other parts, a GS911, the repair dc, volt meter, straps, and some other things I have forgot that I have in there.  I don't take the night light as I usually sleep at night and do any repairs in the day time.

An extra and near new fuel pump controller.

Tire repair kit with tiny compressor.

i had forgotten that I had extra fairing screws but I dropped one in the driveway last week which made me check.  I later found the lost one in the driveway. 

I carry all that stuff and never use it.

Two years ago I rode to Torrey with another guy.  He told me he had forgotten his dental floss and had to buy some.  I chagrined him for not asking me.  After I checked I found I had 9 packets of dental floss with me.   Just a lot of extra baggage.

dc

All insurance.  I hope to never have to use any of this stuff either.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, RandyShields said:

All insurance.  I hope to never have to use any of this stuff either.  Thanks.

Afternoon Randy

The best insurance that I carry is a credit card,  a cell phone, (and maybe a SPOT if venturing way into the outback by myself).

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

Add a compact multimeter, and you should be good to go. I recently bought this one to replace an old one that had died.  It's a cheap POS, but you're not looking for millivolt accuracy, you're mostly just looking for a diagnostic tool that can verify electrical continuity and also tell you whether you've got 0 volts, 12 volts, 14.5 volts.  

If you've got space after that, toss in a few of the more easily replaced spare parts, like an alternator belt and some light bulbs.  

RandyShields
2 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Add a compact multimeter, and you should be good to go. I recently bought this one to replace an old one that had died.  It's a cheap POS, but you're not looking for millivolt accuracy, you're mostly just looking for a diagnostic tool that can verify electrical continuity and also tell you whether you've got 0 volts, 12 volts, 14.5 volts.  

If you've got space after that, toss in a few of the more easily replaced spare parts, like an alternator belt and some light bulbs.  

Got it.  Thank you.

Bill_Walker
9 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Add a compact multimeter, and you should be good to go. I recently bought this one to replace an old one that had died.

Funny.  The case for that one looks identical to the old Radio Shack multimeters I have.

Joe Frickin' Friday
1 hour ago, Bill_Walker said:

Funny.  The case for that one looks identical to the old Radio Shack multimeters I have.

Yes - the old Radio Shack multimeter is the one I had that died (to be fair, it spent ~20 years bouncing around in my RT's glovebox).  The case is very similarly designed, but not truly identical.  Likely both originated from the same basic design.

• Like 1
RandyShields
5 hours ago, 6speedTi said:

Planning on breaking down?

Seems you have enough tools for a roadside overhaul. :-)

Not planning to, but after the tire mishap in the Utah desert, one never knows.  The reality is that if you are alone and -- particularly out west where there is absolutely nothing for 50-100 miles in any direction, -- it is just good to be better prepared than I was.  And I should be if I add what folks here are suggesting!  An alternative from my wife is that I need a virtual Kinney.  You remember the virtual ship's doctor on the Enterprise in Star Trek?  A virtual Chris Kinney to help me with repairs on the road would be quite helpful.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...
On 6/8/2019 at 9:17 AM, David13 said:

Two years ago I rode to Torrey with another guy.  He told me he had forgotten his dental floss and had to buy some.  I chagrined him for not asking me.  After I checked I found I had 9 packets of dental floss with me. 

dc

I am proud of you!:classic_biggrin:

Maybe I missed it but zip ties or various sizes is something I always carry. 

I have a similar tool set up for both my bikes but I really try to keep the weight and mass down.   I tried to eliminate any duplicates and I switched to all 1/4" drive tools which really cuts down weight. 

Also,  I love my Neely tire repair kits that I learned about on THIS site probably 5+ years ago!   I now include in the Neely a small file to make a nail hole larger and one of those small thin razor knives to cut the plug.   

In addition to my tools (being an OCD Anal guy) I carry a small detail kit in each bike that includes scratch remover, Small Travel Size Goo Gone,  Black Out for black plastic parts,  Small wheel cleaner,  Small Polish, travel pack of q-tips and a small sponge along with a few paper funnels, few nitrile gloves and some hand cleaner wipes. 

I got to use my el cheapo Slime pump when in Nova Scotia when a RCMP rider on a Honda VFR1200 showed up with a flat and no pump.  I got to make a new friend and the cheap Slime pump worked like a champ. 

On 7/21/2019 at 4:22 PM, Endobobdds said:

I am proud of you!:classic_biggrin:

Hey, you got to be proud of your own accomplishments, not mine.

dc

What I did to build me out a tool kit is assemble all the tools I use for maintenance (oil changes, wheel removal, tupperware, etc.) sprinkled with zip ties, electrical tape, GS-911, CO-powered patch kit, etc. and put them into three of these little bags I got from Aerostich that I stash under the rear seat or in the tail section. If I travel I'll also throw my torque wrench and a multimeter in there for good measure.

Whenever I work on my bike at home I only use those tools and keep tweaking the contents as new ones become needed. Works great for me as i can stash them all inside the bike without needed the bags or top case (except for the torque wrench and MM which I only carry if I'm traveling). 

Aerostich Bags

PS - They are not waterproof so I put them into individual gallon-sized ziplock bags to keep them dry.

15 hours ago, Pappy35 said:

What I did to build me out a tool kit is assemble all the tools I use for maintenance (oil changes, wheel removal, tupperware, etc.) sprinkled with zip ties, electrical tape, GS-911, CO-powered patch kit, etc. and put them into three of these little bags I got from Aerostich that I stash under the rear seat or in the tail section. If I travel I'll also throw my torque wrench and a multimeter in there for good measure.

Whenever I work on my bike at home I only use those tools and keep tweaking the contents as new ones become needed. Works great for me as i can stash them all inside the bike without needed the bags or top case (except for the torque wrench and MM which I only carry if I'm traveling). 

Aerostich Bags

PS - They are not waterproof so I put them into individual gallon-sized ziplock bags to keep them dry.

Unless I am taking a trip longer than 3000 miles I don't carry maintenance tools.  If I need to change my oil on a trip it is usually a MOA Rally trip and will do the oil change there.  All the tools I carry are simply for emergency repairs.   What do I need to get me to a garage or dealer where the bike can be repaired.   I have way too many tools that I use on my garage to lug them along.   But hey .... I would love my riding buddies to carry all the stuff you carry ... just in case!  :18:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RTinNC said:

Unless I am taking a trip longer than 3000 miles I don't carry maintenance tools.  If I need to change my oil on a trip it is usually a MOA Rally trip and will do the oil change there.  All the tools I carry are simply for emergency repairs.   What do I need to get me to a garage or dealer where the bike can be repaired.   I have way too many tools that I use on my garage to lug them along.   But hey .... I would love my riding buddies to carry all the stuff you carry ... just in case!  :18:

Well, it's not like I strap my Sears tool chest to the luggage rack.

:dopeslap:  :3:

I don't really use that many unique tools for regular maintenance and all the tools I carry fit under the rear seat. Nothing more worthless than runway behind you or tools you need but don't have.

Wow!!!  Some of you pack waaay too much stuff for a modern engine "what if".   Do you pack equally as much for your four wheel transportation?,.....just wondering.  I've done several cross country trips in a POS 2.3l Ford Ranger some years ago with nothing more than a lug wrench and a jack (no cell phones in the early 90's).  While I don't do the recommended "book" preventive maintenance, I do my "gut" maintenance and none of my vehicles nor bikes have left me stranded in any location,......just dumb luck or whatever you want to call it. 

A few years ago when my oldest moved from NC to LA, we loaded the wifes super duty, hooked up a trailer, put the daughters car on the trailer, loaded down more of her crap and I sent my wife on her first trailer hauling 1000 miler with,........wait for it,......a jack and lug wrench.  Wife, daughter and grandson on a merry journey,.....and she, like me, drove straight through with no issues.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I admit I've had fun gathering and accumulating tools for the bike trips. And then figuring out how to pack them and keeping the weight somewhat even and low on both sides of the bike. That means they're mixed in with everything else. On last month's Clean Living Hoosier™  trip - I'd forgotten my toothbrush. But the CLH's had a good time constantly reminding me that I had a fuel bypass cable, GS911, etc etc - but NO TOOTHBRUSH. At least I have my priorities straight.

And to be clear, I DID have bike issues the entire week. But it was more of a diagnostic problem - trying to figure out what was bothering Cami. Back home trial and error, it turned out to be the 02 sensors. But no codes were being logged. Point is, if you don't have the parts - even if you know what's wrong - how ya gonna fix it?

For me, on the RT, I'm steadily reducing what tools I carry. On a GS - those tool tubes, etc are pretty nifty and it'd be simple enough to always travel with the Binford Tool Time 9000x tool kit.

As Bumbling BackRoad Rider™  @marcopolo is fond of saying, "the most important tools I carry are my cell phone and credit card". :5147:

That's a more elaborate kit than I put together... but there are few items that I usually have that I think might be worth considering\adding...

1.  a couple test leads with alligator clip ends (can help to temporarily bypass a short or jump around a bad switch)
  2. fuses (whatever is on the bike)
  3. a spare headlight bulb (and other bulbs?) in a small lunch/snack tupperware,
  4. a rag... even a few of the disposable blue shop rags can always be scrunched in (e.g. around spare bulbs, or wrapped up with tools)

I agree with the points above... the multiple pliers/utility knife/wire cutter/box cutter/multi-tool seem redundant... I'd probably keep the multi-tool and the locking needle nose and loose the 2 sets of pliers, wire cutter, utility knife and box cutter.

It's also helpful to try and do some basic maintenance things with just your bike's tool kit.  That helps you see if there's something you're missing..  (e.g. an allen key of a particular size, or a bolt that needs a socket rather than a wrench etc)... 

22 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

As Bumbling BackRoad Rider™  @marcopolo is fond of saying, "the most important tools I carry are my cell phone and credit card". :5147:

And my BMWMOA Anonymous Book !! 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

So much for German engineered reliability.

:rofl:

Back in the "good old days" beemers came with all the tools you needed.

On 7/24/2019 at 5:29 PM, Pappy35 said:

:dopeslap:  :3:

Nothing more worthless than runway behind you.

So very true!

After eight years on a now 13-year-old RT,  I have never needed a tool on the road. I have a kit, but never had a reason to open it.

Oh well, here I go.  After 24 years and about 275k miles on BMW's I've needed 1 tow for 6 miles to a Harley store where I bought a new rear tire and continued on to Alaska.  I'd rather be lucky than good!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 years later...

This is an excellent thread.  I'm upgrading my travel toolkit and this discussion has been very helpful.

• Like 1