IGNORED

Alternate parts list

joeb

Since the format change I can't find the thread for the alternate parts list. As in many many areas I could use some help here. Thanks

25 minutes ago, RPG said:

I need a new alternator belt.

Afternoons Rick

I'm not sure that list would help, if you installed the solid pulley then the belt that you need will be  either a 4PK611 or a  4PK 592.

Depending on the pulley used it could be either--

I think I have service bulletin on the belt vs usage (I will see if I can find it later today)

Or just buy a 4pk 592 (592mm/ 4 rib) & see if it will fit, if it won't then return belt & get the 4pk 611 (611mm).

Most auto parts stores should have a generic 4pk 592 & a 4pk 611 ribbed belt. I'm pretty sure that you will need the 4pk 611  poly-V as my parts book shows that is used on the 1100 & early (pre free-wheeling pulley) 1150 engines with 50 amp alternator.

In either case you want a Poly-V NOT an elastomer belt.

Just Google              continental 4pk 611 belt

On 6/14/2019 at 1:17 PM, dirtrider said:

Afternoons Rick

I'm not sure that list would help, if you installed the solid pulley then the belt that you need will be  either a 4PK611 or a  4PK 592.

Depending on the pulley used it could be either--

I think I have service bulletin on the belt vs usage (I will see if I can find it later today)

Or just buy a 4pk 592 (592mm/ 4 rib) & see if it will fit, if it won't then return belt & get the 4pk 611 (611mm).

Most auto parts stores should have a generic 4pk 592 & a 4pk 611 ribbed belt. I'm pretty sure that you will need the 4pk 611  poly-V as my parts book shows that is used on the 1100 & early (pre free-wheeling pulley) 1150 engines with 50 amp alternator.

In either case you want a Poly-V NOT an elastomer belt.

Just Google              continental 4pk 611 belt

Good morning D.R.,

Really appreciate that info. As you know, I'm putting the freel wheeling pulley on my alternator and will stop by today to get the belts. Figure I'll buy both and return the one that doesn't fit.

I might be off to Ohio today after work. My buddy rode to the rally and had a flat that isn't holding air. He's plugged it a couple of times with his Stop N Go kit but for some reason it's not holding. Luckily he has the TPS monitor on his dash (K1300GT) telling him real time pressure.

I have a trailer, so.....

Thanks again. I hate having my RT just sitting in the garage. :(

RPG

2 hours ago, RPG said:

Good morning D.R.,

Really appreciate that info. As you know, I'm putting the freel wheeling pulley on my alternator and will stop by today to get the belts. Figure I'll buy both and return the one that doesn't fit.

I might be off to Ohio today after work. My buddy rode to the rally and had a flat that isn't holding air. He's plugged it a couple of times with his Stop N Go kit but for some reason it's not holding. Luckily he has the TPS monitor on his dash (K1300GT) telling him real time pressure.

I have a trailer, so.....

Thanks again. I hate having my RT just sitting in the garage. :(

RPG

Afternoon Rick

If you are putting a free-wheeling pulley back on your alternator then that changes things as you (should but don't have to) use the elastomer belt.

The elastomer belt is  P/N 12 31 7 681 841 & it is a 4pk 592 (this assumes that you have installed the same size free-wheeling pulley as original)-- If pulley diameter is different then belt size will be slightly different.

A poly-V will also work OK on the free-wheeling pulley but you lose the maintenance-free part so it will have to be re-adjusted after initial run-in.

12 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Rick

If you are putting a free-wheeling pulley back on your alternator then that changes things as you (should but don't have to) use the elastomer belt.

The elastomer belt is  P/N 12 31 7 681 841 & it is a 4pk 592 (this assumes that you have installed the same size free-wheeling pulley as original)-- If pulley diameter is different then belt size will be slightly different.

A poly-V will also work OK on the free-wheeling pulley but you lose the maintenance-free part so it will have to be re-adjusted after initial run-in.

Hi D.R., sure makes it interesting that BMW made all these combination changes over the years. I do have to say that I never had an issue with the elastomer belt on my decoupler pulley. two belts in 105k and neither of them had cracks or ever required adjustment or tensioning.

I think I'll wait until I get the pulley. Measure the dia. and go from there.

Much obliged!

RPG

This is all great stuff about belts, but.............does anyone know where to find the thread for alternate not alternator parts ?

After market parts .

Since I'm new to the site, I don't know where the alternate parts list is. But there are some really good sources for aftermarket parts, at far less than dealers. I've been using these for years: Motorworks, in the UK, and Motobins, also In the UK. Prices are usually about half of dealers, or less, fast shipping, and good selection. Case in point, I just replaced the clutch in my 1150gsa, for around $300, with the extended spline on clutch disk, and that included all the needed parts, including bolts(and shipping). And of course , Beemerboneyard, here in the states. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

On 6/17/2019 at 11:17 AM, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Rick

D.R., as luck would have it, the spare belt I picked up last year is a 592, so I'll throw that on (new standard pulley installed) and keep the 611 as a spare, I was using for the past couple years with the decoupler pulley system.

I got the alt. installed last night but only about 1/2 way through bolting everything back together. Hope to finish this evening.

9 minutes ago, RPG said:

D.R., as luck would have it, the spare belt I picked up last year is a 592, so I'll throw that on (new standard pulley installed) and keep the 611 as a spare, I was using for the past couple years with the decoupler pulley system.

I got the alt. installed last night but only about 1/2 way through bolting everything back together. Hope to finish this evening.

Afternoon Rick

Thanks for the update. Any chance that you measured the pulley size on the pulley that you used?

Also, let us know how it all turns out?

It's  kind of a pain but if you can find the time you might do a write-up on what pulley you used & on the install process, with BMW not selling the free-wheeling pulley any longer I'm sure there will be others needing to go back to a standard (sloid) pulley system.

If you do a write-up maybe put it in the "How-To"  forum   then we can link to it in the future.

6 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Rick

Thanks for the update. Any chance that you measured the pulley size on the pulley that you used?

I measured both with my digital micrometer and they're the same dia. (new BMW pulley compared to older decoupler pulley). The 592 belt may not fit but I'm going to make sure this evening.

Also, let us know how it all turns out?

Sure will. I did have the alternator bench tested at a local shop (14.5vdc), so I expect it to work when installed.

It's  kind of a pain but if you can find the time you might do a write-up on what pulley you used & on the install process, with BMW not selling the free-wheeling pulley any longer I'm sure there will be others needing to go back to a standard (sloid) pulley system.

Good point. With your help D.R., it was made somewhat manageable, but very frustrating to find that the stock decoupler is NLA from BMW and very, very hard to locate in the aftermarket world. This necessitates buying the BMW spec pulley ($80 new). I was fortunate in that my local AutoZone store loaned me the special tools to remove and install the pulley's.

If you do a write-up maybe put it in the "How-To"  forum   then we can link to it in the future.

Once I get some free time, I'll be happy to do a write up. What I did to save some time was remove all the fasteners for the ABS module but left all the lines intact. Removing the strut bolts that hold the left and right struts (from the engine to the steering head), allowed me to rotate the right one out of the way. With that I was able to finaggle the alt. through that very, very tight area. Definitely did NOT want to remove any of the brake lines and have headaches bleeding the air out later. But I'll do a more formal write up when time allows.

On 6/18/2019 at 6:41 AM, joeb said:

This is all great stuff about belts, but.............does anyone know where to find the thread for alternate not alternator parts ?

After market parts .

Here is a copy of a parts list.  I believe I downloaded off this website before the format change.  Might this be what you are looking for?

R Bike Parts List2.xls

17 hours ago, RPG said:

Just make sure that belt is a Poly-V & not an elastomer belt (probably is a Poly-V as most 592 4 rib are).

In any case once you go back to a solid pulley & poly-V belt then you need to re-tention that belt at 6000 miles after install or you could end up with belt slippage & belt overheating  due to belt stretch & rib seat-in.

The good news is that you can go back to the standard torque-on-the-alternator-adjuster-stud or 1/4 belt twist method of belt adjustment rather the difficult & fiddly pulley-to-pulley spacing measurement  method used for the elastomer belt.

On 6/22/2019 at 7:43 AM, dirtrider said:

Just make sure that belt is a Poly-V & not an elastomer belt (probably is a Poly-V as most 592 4 rib are).

In any case once you go back to a solid pulley & poly-V belt then you need to re-tention that belt at 6000 miles after install or you could end up with belt slippage & belt overheating  due to belt stretch & rib seat-in.

The good news is that you can go back to the standard torque-on-the-alternator-adjuster-stud or 1/4 belt twist method of belt adjustment rather the difficult & fiddly pulley-to-pulley spacing measurement  method used for the elastomer belt.

Good morning D.R., Boy, sure is tough finding a 611 Poly at all of the local auto parts stores. But Euromotoelectrics to the rescue one again.

Thanks,

RPG

13 minutes ago, RPG said:

Good morning D.R., Boy, sure is tough finding a 611 Poly at all of the local auto parts stores. But Euromotoelectrics to the rescue one again.

Thanks,

RPG

Morning Rick

I'm not sure what automobile that 4pk 611 fit but at one time they were common in auto parts stores (so whatever they fit is probably well past it's expiration date).

On 6/6/2019 at 7:26 PM, joeb said:

Since the format change I can't find the thread for the alternate parts list. As in many many areas I could use some help here. Thanks

Hi Joeb. 

I know what list you mean. It used to be a sticky at the start of this forum. A spreadsheet compiling suppliers and part numbers. Sorry, I don't know where to locate it, I never used it, but hopefully this will bump the thread. 

I know he didn't mean to, but RPG sent this thread off on a red herring. Hopefully other members who are long in the tooth will be able to guide you to the thread you are after.