IGNORED

09 R1200RT Low Beam High Beam question

Bigfish

I just replaces both my Low Beam H7 Bulbs and they are working great. I may be going crazy, but when I checked them after install, I turned on the High beam and the Low Beam also stayed on. Is this normal? I swear my RT would turn off the lows when switched to the high beam. I've witnessed this many times while observing my reflection in the bumpers and rear tailgates from the cars in front of me at stop lights. I always felt more conspicuous when just using the lows since they flanked both sides. Was this an optical illusion? Did I install my new bulbs the wrong way? Or is all fine and both the Lows and Highs should always be on when High beam switch is on? Thanks!

5 hours ago, Bigfish said:

I just replaces both my Low Beam H7 Bulbs and they are working great. I may be going crazy, but when I checked them after install, I turned on the High beam and the Low Beam also stayed on. Is this normal? I swear my RT would turn off the lows when switched to the high beam. I've witnessed this many times while observing my reflection in the bumpers and rear tailgates from the cars in front of me at stop lights. I always felt more conspicuous when just using the lows since they flanked both sides. Was this an optical illusion? Did I install my new bulbs the wrong way? Or is all fine and both the Lows and Highs should always be on when High beam switch is on? Thanks!

Morning  Bigfish

Low beam is always on (stays on all the time engine is running), the high beam goes off & on with the high beam switch.

Thanks DR. I must have been imagining something that wasn't happening in the reflections I was seeing. Nice to have the affirmation that all is well.

59 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

Thanks DR. I must have been imagining something that wasn't happening in the reflections I was seeing. Nice to have the affirmation that all is well.

Afternoon Bigfish

You can turn your low beam off (sitting still) with engine running--

On the older 1200RTs you can hold the turn signal cancel button down for the slow count of 5, then release the cancel switch, then simply hold the right turn signal button down for the slow count of 5 (or until the headlight goes out). If the right turn signal starts to flash you did something wrong when holding the cancel button down.

But, on the later 1200RT's the headlight will come right back on when you put the bike into gear.