IGNORED

Windscreen Upgrade, Tankbag, and Saddle

MichiganBob

MichiganBob

Good evening. I picked up my 2018 RT today. It's a sweet ride. but has been the case with my  six previous Beemers, it needs some tweaking. I will go with the Ilium front and rear crash bars. Pricey but so is dropping the bike which can happen when you least expect it. Just makes good sense from a prevention perspective, especially with me now in my 70's. I will get a lens cover and side stand foot extender. I will put my Shag trunk on the back for now. Also some foam tubes over the stock grips. Now for your recommendations on three items.

1. I'm used to a much bigger windshield. With Cee Bailey gone, I'm shopping. Any recommendations on which company to work with on this?

2. My tank bag on the 2012 locked on the rack. I'll go to the type that locks on the gas cap ring. Any suggestions on great tank bags with this design.

3.  As with previous Beemers, I'm canted too much forward with my privates smashed against the gas tank. In the past, I shimmed up the front of the seat and that gave some release. Maybe it's time for a saddle that does this. Thoughts on this.

I appreciate hearing from you and thanks in advance.

MichiganBob 

Bill_Walker
3 hours ago, MichiganBob said:

2. My tank bag on the 2012 locked on the rack. I'll go to the type that locks on the gas cap ring. Any suggestions on great tank bags with this design.

I got the SW-Motech City bag from Twisted Throttle, and I'm pretty happy with it.  I got the powered version, because I had previously had all my electronics in my tank bag for easy swapping from bike to bike, but ended up not putting them in the bag on the RT, so all I use it for is to occasionally charge my phone.  I had some issues early on with the magnetically triggered reed switch in the mount, that triggers a relay to turn the power on, but the two companies solved it.  I do still occasionally have to open the bag and press down on the bottom of it on the inside to make sure the mount is fully latched.

One big downside of a tank ring bag on the Wethead RT is that you'll likely have to pull the ring to get the center section of the bodywork off so you can change the air filter.  I do, anyway.  Other brands may have a smaller ring.

For the saddle I went with Bill Mayer, for the second time.  He's in Idaho and has an associate in Ventura.  Take a trip out here  and he or Adrian will do it while you wait.  Or you can mail your seat in.  The stock seat for me was not working oil well.  

Oldironken

I picked up a used Sargent seat for my 2016 and find that it is quite comfortable.  I had a Russell on my 2004 which was really nice. 

I went with the Werks Quiet Ride windshield  and love it, i had a Cee Bailey on my '04. 

I went with Werks Quiet Ride for my shield. I also was a dedicated Cee Bailey user. 

Tank bag bag is a Moto-Tech from Twisted Throttle. 

Russel Day Long for my seat...third one for each RT I’ve owned. 

Good of luck and enjoy that new scoot!!

I second the Quiet Werks shield and the Russel Day long.

The QW shield has a good curve that reduces buffetting.  So you don't need a huge windshield.

18 hours ago, MichiganBob said:

1. I'm used to a much bigger windshield. 

I just got back from a ~2000 mile trip.  I have a Werks tall windscreen, and a riding buddy has the Aeroflow tall.  At one point, we swapped bikes (both R1200RTW) for about 50 miles.  I thought his bike was quieter -- and he thought that MINE was quieter.  :dontknow:  Bottom line: both are great.  

The Werks is somewhat wider at the top.  It doesn't seem to have any adverse impact on fuel economy.

18 hours ago, MichiganBob said:

3.  As with previous Beemers, I'm canted too much forward with my privates smashed against the gas tank. In the past, I shimmed up the front of the seat and that gave some release. Maybe it's time for a saddle that does this.

I have a Sargent seat with an alaska sheepskin pad.  As I mentioned in the previous post, I swapped bikes for a few miles -- and the other bike has a Russell.  After only 50 miles, I have a Russell seat on my Christmas list.

With respect to the tilt of the seat, I recommend that you check out Wunderlich -- they have replacement seat mounts that will allow you to raise the front of the seat relative to the rear: Seat Height Adjustment

Foam tubes on the grips are an essential add on.  The stock grips are 1.25" dia. and hard.  After a couple of weeks riding without them, and then spending 5hrs on a Bagger with them, the difference was huge.  With a trip looming, I found some Grab On Grips at Del Amo, I think.  I would have went with Grip Puppies but I was running out of time.  The Grab Ons are great so far.

Realshelby has the Quiet Ride windshields. https://www.werksparts.com/quiet-ride-windshield---bmw.html. They come in different heights. I’m 6’ 0” and got the standard height. With it down, I get air to my face at low speeds. Once on an interstate, I adjust it up till the air gets kicked up over my head- there is a flip up at the upper edge. Everything goes quiet and smooth. 

Count me another Russel Day Long fan. Heated seat still works great, even if I don’t have to use it often hear in the San Jose and NorCal area where I do most of my riding. Depending on the time of year, down time will vary. I called them when I ordered mine and this time of year meant a longer wait time. Late fall and winter have the shortest times. 

https://day-long.com/. Once you place an order, they will assign a production date (I just checked- it’s Aug 18) to have your seat shipped there by. You get your seat back in 2.5-3 weeks. 

Sargent makes its own seat pan meaning you don’t have any down time. But it’s not “custom”. That’s how Oldironken was able to pick up a used one. 

There are other seat seat makers who might be closer to you so you can ride to them and try the refoam shape and make adjustments right then. A google search might pop up some. 

MichiganBob

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'm going to go with the Werk's Windshield, just trying to figure out if I want the regular or tall size. There is a two inch difference.

I like what I've read and seen about the Givi tankbags with the gas cap ring mount. Going with the large UT 810 25 Ltr.  This will allow me to go a little smaller on the trunk. Will stay with the Shag -- have had good results with them. Will add a brake light to the bottom of the rack.

Will go with the Ilium crash bars front and back and their side stand extender.

Aeroflow headlight protector.

I saved the grip puppies on the bike I traded in. Absolutely need them.

Will investigate best way to mount my Denaili 4 lights. Had them on the forks on my 2012, might try them on the front crash bars.

I'm not sure about a new saddle yet. I will put my Alaska leather on the new seat and see how it feels. Also will look into the Wunderlich kit for raising the seat. I've had to fabricate shims for both my 02 and 12. Not sure why the seat cants so far forward. Maybe it's the way I'm built. I know a lot of folks have complaints about the stock saddle but it always worked out for me. Stock seat on my trip to Alaska on my 02 and 7000 mile trip last July on my 2012 without Monkey Butt. I do wear some great comfort shorts under my Darrien pants for these trips.

Will put some small oval blind spot mirrors on the outer bottom edge of the stock mirrors.

I saved some highway pegs from the 2012 which might work fine on the crash bars. Of course I can't really use the highway pegs as designed due to the extra wide tank but it feels good to stretch the leg every once in a while on a long trip.

So FARKLE I will go to get the bike just right. Now that I'm 70, comfort is more a priority. There are more cushy rides out there  but I am a RT guy all the way.

Take good care.

realshelby

Call me or e-mail me about the size of the WERKS Quiet Ride. All the e-mails and phone number on the website come to me. Getting the right size is not a guess!

The Givi tank lock bags are simply one of the best things I have done to a bike for long trips. But I also learned that a too large tank bag has some issues I don't want to deal with. I don't want the handlebars hitting the tank bag when turning/parking the bike! Some of the larger ones can block some of the stuff you might want to see on the dash too. I only keep what I might need to take in a restaurant, rest stop, etc. with me in the tank bag. That way it is easy to find and lighter to carry in with me. 

fan of werks quiet ride.. think i might have bought the first one he sold! 14rt and 40000 miles later still happy with it!

• Like 1