IGNORED

Just For Fun

MichiganBob

MichiganBob

Picking up my new 20181200RT today. I always run a headlight protector from Cee Bailey as I heard that replacing the front lens is outrageous. So my mind began to wonder. If you were to build a 2018RT from parts ordered from your local BMW dealer, what do you think would be the total amount spent? I'm thinking $75,000. Do you think I'm way off?

B

realshelby

Well, one thing for sure, you won't be running a Cee Bailey headlight protector on your new 2018 RT! ( Congratulations!)

Cee Bailey is out of the motorcycle products business. Completely. 

But, I have been wondering, is there enough interest in a decently priced headlight protector? One that would ship and arrive quickly? I might be able to provide that.......

MichiganBob

Cee Bailey out of business. I'm surprised. I bought new windshields from them and lens protectors for my 02 and 12 RT and probably a few other items. They were good to work with and the products were of excellent quality. But who knows what demons are out there affecting a business.

Cee Bailey made nice stuff, but decided to focus on their core airplane market and killed off the motorcycle stuff a couple of years ago now.

40 minutes ago, realshelby said:

But, I have been wondering, is there enough interest in a decently priced headlight protector? One that would ship and arrive quickly? I might be able to provide that.......

Yes interested.  And a nice add-on to the windshields

Marty Hill

In 300k miles of riding I've never had a busted headlight nor a headlight protector.  I had no idea it was such a large problem.

• Like 1
realshelby

It isn't a huge problem. But IF it becomes a problem the cost of a replacement headlight assembly for a Wethead RT is somewhere in the $12-1300 range. 

They are made of polycarbonate and pretty tuff. But far from invincible. The biggest issue I have is pitting. Polycarbonate is also comparatively soft and pitting can be an issue as miles pile up. 

It's not just rocks busting the light assembly.  I've seen some pictures where riders have had pitting on their headlights from small rock/sand hitting the light.  After years, it'll cause the light to not be as bright.  I even wonder if it that pitting could damage any UV protection to the plastics.

I’ve used Xpel headlight protection film on my 4 wheel vehicles, including my truck which is always parked outside in a direction that the  headlights get a lot of sun. I’ve replaced the film once. There is no hazing because of the film. 

Because of that and to protect my new paint, I bought a full protection film kit from thetankslapper.biz and applied it myself. It’s not hard. Just take your time. Tankslapper has two brands of film for wet heads- Xpel and Scotchgard. 

https://thetankslapper.biz/r1200rt-total-protection-kit-2014-2019/

Yep, the Tankslapper film for me too. It seems to work well in as much as very little refraction/spread/blurring of the light pattern caused by the film. However, with my Aeroflow cover...a very different matter. Plus with any cover, there is a gap between the cover and the lens. This is good for impact attenuation, but lousy for dirt build up between the 2 items.

Motorhead1977

Bought an Aeroflow headlight protector and found that the Velcro attachments didn't stay attached so the cover would pull loose from the lender. Result is it's in the box stored in my garage.  I'd be happy to get $50 plus shipping for it.

2 hours ago, Motorhead1977 said:

Bought an Aeroflow headlight protector and found that the Velcro attachments didn't stay attached so the cover would pull loose from the lender. Result is it's in the box stored in my garage.  I'd be happy to get $50 plus shipping for it.

I'm interested. I'll send you a PM.

On 6/4/2019 at 7:23 AM, realshelby said:

Well, one thing for sure, you won't be running a Cee Bailey headlight protector on your new 2018 RT! ( Congratulations!)

Cee Bailey is out of the motorcycle products business. Completely. 

So what are you waiting for?  It is nice to have more than one protector to choose from.

Bill

steve.foote
On 6/4/2019 at 10:11 AM, MichiganBob said:

If you were to build a 2018RT from parts ordered from your local BMW dealer, what do you think would be the total amount spent? I'm thinking $75,000. Do you think I'm way off?

B

Bob, I would say you're probably not far off.  There is a YouTube video of a dealership that built a new R90S out of available parts from stock.  I think they were able to buy everything except the main frame and swing arm.  It ended up costing them something like $45k to build the bike.  If I can find the vid, I'll post it later today.

On 6/4/2019 at 11:39 AM, realshelby said:

The biggest issue I have is pitting. Polycarbonate is also comparatively soft and pitting can be an issue as miles pile up. 

Yes and in regions where sandy soil is the norm it seems abrasive hazing comes even faster.  Our place in the north woods is just east of frac sand  country and all the vehicles up there seem to show hazed headlights.

Well, ask and there is a better chance you will receive. Hoping to have a prototype headlight protector on the RT for the Unrally trip. We'll have to see what production costs and such will come to. I am not interested in $100 headlight protectors!