IGNORED

Starter motor works without ignition on

Stootrolyat

Stootrolyat

Hi Guys,

I have a ‘97 K1200RS which has been standing a while.

2 weeks ago I tried to start the bike but the battery was too low.

I have recharged the battery and tried to install into the bike on Sunday just gone.

The positive terminal cables all connected nicely but suddenly one of the thicker cables touched the negative terminal and the starter motor started working and a lot of sparking from battery connection with the ignition turned off.

I made sure that the ignition was turned off, the engine kill switch turned on, and the sidestand down, but still the starter motor tried to start the bike without ignition on.

I then allowed connection with the ignition turned on and the bike fired up immediately, but it didn’t free the starter motor off.

Any thoughts or remedies please guys as my Suzuki water buffalo is off the road at the moment and I have no bike to ride ☹️

Thanks for your help

Rich T 👍

22 hours ago, Stootrolyat said:

Hi Guys,

I have a ‘97 K1200RS which has been standing a while.

2 weeks ago I tried to start the bike but the battery was too low.

I have recharged the battery and tried to install into the bike on Sunday just gone.

The positive terminal cables all connected nicely but suddenly one of the thicker cables touched the negative terminal and the starter motor started working and a lot of sparking from battery connection with the ignition turned off.

I made sure that the ignition was turned off, the engine kill switch turned on, and the sidestand down, but still the starter motor tried to start the bike without ignition on.

I then allowed connection with the ignition turned on and the bike fired up immediately, but it didn’t free the starter motor off.

Any thoughts or remedies please guys as my Suzuki water buffalo is off the road at the moment and I have no bike to ride ☹️

Thanks for your help

Rich T 👍

Morning Rich

Much better explanation than your original posting.

Lots of possibilities on this one so troubleshooting over the internet is going to be difficult, but we can try.

First thing to look at is the partial service bulletin that I posed below. (more than likely this is your problem)

If the below service bulletin doesn't fit your problem then next, make absolutely sure that you have the battery charged in the correct polarity?  If in doubt put a meter across the battery posts & positively verify that the battery is charged in the correct polarity.  (this MUST be accounted for before we can move on to other things)

You will also have to tell us IF your K  bike has the retrofit starter module  installed  (this also changes how it is troubleshot)

The below is from a 2001 dated internal  BMW K bike service bulletin____

K Series: Starter Relay Kit______

To Service Department

"During the starting procedure of the K 1200 LT and K 1200 RS models,
the entire starter current flows through the starter relay. If the rider
attempts to start the motorcycle when the battery is almost flat, or continues
to operate the starter once signs of low battery voltage are present
(decreasing starting RPM), there is the possibility of the contacts
within the starter relay to weld shut. The result will be the continued operation
of the starter motor until the battery becomes fully discharged. In
addition, substantial damage to the main wiring harness is possible"

• Like 1