Crankcase pressure

Lawman

When I changed the oil today in my R1200RT I noticed the oil was under considerable pressure when I removed the drain plug..Emptied very quickly, and splattered out of the drain pan all over the floor...Never had that happen before..Anyone care to explain? confused.gif

When I changed the oil today in my R1200RT I noticed the oil was under considerable pressure when I removed the drain plug..Emptied very quickly, and splattered out of the drain pan all over the floor...Never had that happen before..Anyone care to explain? confused.gif

This is not good. Your crankcase vent is plugged, and you run the danger of blowing seals.

I had the same problem with my '91 Jetta a month ago. The pressure was causing slow oil leaks from damn nearly everywhere, especially the cam cover gasket. In this case, the problem was that the oil separator that condenses oil mist and returns it to the crankcase, before the crankcase gases exit through the PCV valve, was totally clogged. Got so bad that it blew out the dipstick!

Get to the bottom of this as soon as you can!

Bob.

Regularly reported on the 1200 GSs so I suspect the RT would be the same. Seems to be standard (for whatever reason).

Paul

Archived