IGNORED

Top Case

MichiganBob

MichiganBob

Good Evening,

I just traded in my 02 and 12 RT's for a 2018 so I am now officially a wethead. I'm wondering if anyone has a topcase (trunk), and if so, how they like it? How did the installation go? Did You put a lighting kit on it? Looking forward to visiting on this forum.

Take good care,

MichiganBob

I have one on my 2014 RT. It was actually bought for a K16 GT and spent a couple of seasons on that bike before moving to the RT. 

No exterior lighting but it does have the interior light which can be handy at night. The central locking is the best feature IMO.

The install is pretty easy IIRC. 

Too bad it wasn't negotiated into the deal or half of it anyway, because they are EXPENSIVE! :eek: :grin:

Hello MichiganBob,

As you may know, there are 2 sizes. I, like Tewks, have the larger, 49 l top case. Unlike Tewks, I do not have central locking so do not have the same wiring harness, so could not easily hook up interior lighting. The OEM cases mount to the rack very easily and securely. No adapters needed. Also, there are no color choices- only silver for the 49 l case and black for the small one (21 l?). 

I keep mine on on all the time as it is just so handy. I added the OEM LED brake light, but used a Skeen controller that makes it double as a running light.  I had to figure out how to remove the shells (top and bottom) in order to run the wires to the OEM LED brake light and hook up a waterproof plug so I could remove the case easily. 

You might be able still work a deal on an OEM case from the dealer. You may want to look at Givi or Shad- one of them is expandable. 

Welcome to Wetheads!

MichiganBob, as far as BMW top cases go, you can fir the smaller 28 litre box, or 2 different 49 litre boxes. The later ones (for the Wethead and the K1600 are both identical to all intents and purposes) are more expensive than the earlier ones which are still available. The earlier ones are for the Hexhead and Camhead RT's from 2005 - 2013 these ones  fit the Wethead and are actually more usable space inside because they don't have the false floor and locking mechanism in the case base.

I have the 49 liter topcase with central locking and absolutely love it.   It does have an interior LED light.  The electified versions come pre-wired allowing you to add the LED brake light, which was pretty simple to install.

11 hours ago, Paul4450 said:

Hello MichiganBob,

Also, there are no color choices- only silver for the 49 l case and black for the small one (21 l?).

If you don't mind waiting 3-4 weeks, you can get one pre-painted, with a few colors, and a decent deal.  If you look further on their site, you can also pick up the key kit.  It doesn't come with a lock.  And you need the kit to match it to your keys.  Plus I bought the LED from there too.  Wife has an Alpine White RT.  So I got a color match.  She has central locking, so everything connected right up.

https://www.euronetbike.net/bmw-bm-k1600gt-topcase.html?currency=USD

For me, I bought a used GTL case so I have the high back backrest.  Had to have mine custom painted since I'm Ebony metallic.  Also put in the BMW wiring to get interior and brake lights to work.  Added a Skene controller P3's to both RT's so the brake light also functions as a running light, along with the P3 pods when the top case isn't on the bike.

Lots of options.  Depends on what you want to spend.

Bill_Walker

I've got the base silver 49L top box on mine, which was on the bike when I got it.  It's great!  I got the RKA liners for the top box and panniers to make for easy loading/unloading at lodging while on tour.  I do think I noticed a little bit of wobbliness in the bike at speeds over 75 that might be down to the top box, but I haven't really tested without it to be sure.  

Note there are two variants:  a basic one without central locking that's easy on/easy off, and one that accommodates central locking but can only be removed by emptying it and undoing a fastener in the bottom of the interior and then disconnecting a wiring harness under the pillion seat.  My bike has central locking and my top case doesn't, so I just leave it locked all the time so I don't have to think about it when I stop (just like the top case on my 1150RT, which couldn't be left unlocked).

MichiganBob

Thanks everyone. Is anyone running another brand like Shad or Givi on their 1200RT? If yes, thoughts about it.

I have the 49L with central locking, brake and interior lights.  While I wish BMW had a more slick way to connect the power to the case instead of having to pull the seat to get at the connector, on the whole it is big plus, especially  when riding two up.

Mike the Ghoul

I have a givi Maxia 56l and a Givi Trekker 52l for my 2014 rt.  They both look petty good on, they are black.  I cant decide which I think fits the appearance of the bike better.  I like the bigger Maxia, but the trekker may fit just as much cause its more square sided. 

The mounting plate was easy to install, though a little finicky to get the mounting plates in the right alignment and location. It's very secure and I've had no handling problems with either one. I use the Trekker more than the Maxia. 

aIMGP2663.jpg

IMGP2343.JPG

RPondaRoad

I put the 49 L non electrified top box on mine.  I then installed a Clearwater Billie Brake light and CanOpener instead of the top box light.  If I choose to ride with the top box off, my Billie Brake light is still on the bike keeping me visible (very) to those behind me.  

My wife and I tour two up a lot and storage is always an issue on a motorcycle.  My tool kit and tire inflator, for example, take up a lot of space in one sidecase alone.  So, I put an Isotta rack on top of the top case and bought the bag that matches the tie downs on the rack from www.europeantoysstore.com.  The rack does not require any holes to be drilled into the top case.  It uses two clips that fit into the light area of the top case and then bolts down beneath the passenger back rest using the holes that are already there.  I now have several tours and thousands of miles on this setup and the rack is still solid.  

Rack :  https://europeantoysstore.com/products/additional-luggage-rack-on-topcase-aluminium-bmw-r-1200-rt-lc-pp15al

Bag :  https://europeantoysstore.com/products/bag-for-topcase-luggage-rack-bmw-r1200rt-lc-k1600gt-gtl-exclusive

Congrats on your new RT!  My bike with both installed: 

Transcontinental and Ready!

• Like 1

Just for a bit of comparison.  White RT with color coordinated top box.  Oh, up on Angeles Crest.

edit:  Just to be clear:  It was not me who was doing the burnouts in that parking lot.

IMG_0495web.jpg

• Like 2
  • 10 months later...
On 6/3/2019 at 8:13 PM, MichiganBob said:

Thanks everyone. Is anyone running another brand like Shad or Givi on their 1200RT? If yes, thoughts about it.

I have the Givi V47 with lights on my 17RT.  It's much lighter and much less expensive than BMW box.  Tradeoff is another key and must buy a mounting plate.  Not knocking BMW box, I've had a few.  At least you know there's a choice. 

IMG_5434.JPG

IMG_5435.JPG

IMG_5436.JPG

• Like 1
16 hours ago, ferdiii said:

My motorbike with a old top box from a r1200rt .Cheaper than the top box from a 1250rt.

_DSC5359.jpg

Along with being cheaper, this style of top box (from the Hexhead and Camhead R1200 RTs) is also easier to install and remove, and has a handle so you can use it like luggage if you're on a trip.

The newer style top box looks a little more aero and can have the integrated brake light, but if you're only going to use the top box occasionally, the older style is the way to go.

On 4/20/2020 at 7:18 AM, alegerlotz said:

Along with being cheaper, this style of top box (from the Hexhead and Camhead R1200 RTs) is also easier to install and remove, and has a handle so you can use it like luggage if you're on a trip.

The newer style top box looks a little more aero and can have the integrated brake light, but if you're only going to use the top box occasionally, the older style is the way to go.

Big DITTO on the above! 

Older Version:  Much prefer the method for removal and install, also the carry handle makes it very easy to transport from bike to storage spot in garage. 

Newer Version:  I like that it has a built in area for either a factory or after-market brake/running light.  I mounted a set of Skeene in there.  I have the basic topbox w/o central locking but adding the wiring was easy-peasy and only required removing the top cover.  I was able to snake a wire through the bottom case, exiting the factory wiring harness hole.  I have a quick connect that allows me the ability to quickly connect and when not in use push the wire back under the seat. 

IMG_E3435[1].JPG

I recently got a great deal on a color matched 49L top case for my 2018 RT. I've removed the Givi adapter I previously had installed, it's for sale if anyone is interested.

20200203_134603.jpg

20200123_150608.jpg

Colorado Jeff

Hello:

I bought a topcase for my '15 R12RT from BMW Motorad Bohling in Karlsruhe, Germany.  Today the price is basically $940 USD.  I also got the brake light and lock cylinder.  It was very easy to do, it shipped without issue, took just a few weeks arrive and the people there were very nice and easy to work with.

Topcase: https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/bmw-top-case-49-liter-with-full-equipment-r1200rt-k52.html

Brake light: https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/bmw-topcase-led-brake-light-r1200rt-k52-k1600gt-k48-k1600gtl-k48.html

Lock cylinder: https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/bmw-codeable-key-cylinder-for-sport-panniers-system-panniers-touring-panniers-top-case-49-liter-and-bmw-top-case-28-liter.html

Colorado Jeff
On 6/5/2019 at 11:24 AM, RPondaRoad said:

I put the 49 L non electrified top box on mine.  I then installed a Clearwater Billie Brake light and CanOpener instead of the top box light.  If I choose to ride with the top box off, my Billie Brake light is still on the bike keeping me visible (very) to those behind me.  

My wife and I tour two up a lot and storage is always an issue on a motorcycle.  My tool kit and tire inflator, for example, take up a lot of space in one sidecase alone.  So, I put an Isotta rack on top of the top case and bought the bag that matches the tie downs on the rack from www.europeantoysstore.com.  The rack does not require any holes to be drilled into the top case.  It uses two clips that fit into the light area of the top case and then bolts down beneath the passenger back rest using the holes that are already there.  I now have several tours and thousands of miles on this setup and the rack is still solid.  

Rack :  https://europeantoysstore.com/products/additional-luggage-rack-on-topcase-aluminium-bmw-r-1200-rt-lc-pp15al

Bag :  https://europeantoysstore.com/products/bag-for-topcase-luggage-rack-bmw-r1200rt-lc-k1600gt-gtl-exclusive

Thanks for the info on this solution,  exactly what I was searching for!

• Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 1:24 PM, RPondaRoad said:

On 6/5/2019 at 1:24 PM, RPondaRoad said:

Love this setup 👍

• Like 1